Panasonic S5 User Experience

herein2020

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Nice location, but that looks quite digital to me though.

Great clip but I will agree as well. Sorry! It has nothing to do with your handling at all.. Even at golden hour in the great outdoors, something is not quite right. I suppose it is the same for most cameras of course.

I think all the Japanese companies produce great cameras that create nice looking modern digital video. Nothing wrong with that but it is what it is. To get something that looks a little less clinical and dare I say it film like you need to look at Black Magic or if you have the budget Arri (and RED to some extent). There are a few exceptions such as the Sony F35 but that was a hugely expensive production camera in its day

Unless you get the URSA, Blackmagic is using the same Sony sensors that Panasonic and everyone else use. Even RED has been accused of looking digital. 

You can definitely get a filmlook if you know what it is you are trying to achieve. What type of film are you trying to mimic? I think having a direct example of a film shot that is similar to the shot you have would help really nail the look. 

1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

How is everyone embedding the video into the post? When I do it, it just shows links...is embedding only possible with Vimeo?

Once you paste the link, do not hit enter right away. Wait for the video to embed. If you're trying to paste a Vimeo link, make sure your original link isn't on the Description or Comments tab or it won't embed either. 

33 minutes ago, mercer said:

Once you paste the link, do not hit enter right away. Wait for the video to embed. If you're trying to paste a Vimeo link, make sure your original link isn't on the Description or Comments tab or it won't embed either. 

Thanks, I guess I wasn't waiting long enough, I tend to hit Enter the second I post a link.

Here are two recent videos shot with the S5. The images in the videos are taken with a Canon 5DIV. All natural light only for the video portions.  The audio is using the XLR module via the lav mic. I have found that the XLR adapter seems to be a bit more problematic with the S5 than it was with the GH5 especially getting it to work with the Sennheiser wireless kit. I once had to restart the camera to get the audio to start working after turning on the Sennheisers and I had to disable ALC in the camera because it kept shutting off the XLR input even though the audio was not peaking.

As far as film look vs looking too digital, I don't really focus on things like that, I feel like on a cell phone which is where most of my videos get watched, the audience just couldn't care less so I can't let myself try to achieve things that my audience won't pay more for. I do miss my GH5 MFT Voigtlanders though, they had this look that was way more pleasing to me than I've been able to get out of the Canon and Sigma lenses. I just picked up some ProMist filters that I'm going to try out on my next daytime shoot; if Voigtlander made L mount or EF mount lenses I definitely would consider getting a set. Which does bring me to my last point which is I don't think it is the sensors which make the image look too "digital", I think the lenses have a lot to do with it as well and no matter how much post processing you do, if you start with a difficult sensor/lens combination it's never going to look as good as if you had a lens that got you 90% of the way there in camera.

The S5 is a great camera and if you want to give it a look that is less digital then I would say add a diffusion filter to the lens like a black promist and color grade in Resolve if you are not doing it already. Since the camera has no AA filter you can then add some gaussian blur to soften the image further in post. There are many great film emulations out there now for purchase that will help you get a filmic look. Juan Melara's Kodak FM 2393 Powergrade, Tom Bolles Cineprint 16 Powergrade and the Dehancer resolve plugin are all great tools at different price points. Color grading is more important than camera choice and you can definitely see differences no matter where it is displayed. Now that youtube displays in 4K on an iPhone film grain looks a lot nicer on phones as well.

2 minutes ago, BjornT said:

The S5 is a great camera and if you want to give it a look that is less digital then I would say add a diffusion filter to the lens like a black promist and color grade in Resolve if you are not doing it already. Since the camera has no AA filter you can then add some gaussian blur to soften the image further in post. There are many great film emulations out there now for purchase that will help you get a filmic look. Juan Melara's Kodak FM 2393 Powergrade, Tom Bolles Cineprint 16 Powergrade and the Dehancer resolve plugin are all great tools at different price points. Color grading is more important than camera choice and you can definitely see differences no matter where it is displayed. Now that youtube displays in 4K on an iPhone film grain looks a lot nicer on phones as well.

Last time I checked youtube did not like film grain thoug, it made it all mushy or blocky. On vimeo it was 1000 times better. But havent uploaded any grain footage to youtube since a year or 2 so maybe they fixed it. 

10 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Last time I checked youtube did not like film grain thoug, it made it all mushy or blocky. On vimeo it was 1000 times better. But havent uploaded any grain footage to youtube since a year or 2 so maybe they fixed it. 

The grain is not as good as on vimeo this is true but if the video is displayed in 4K on youtube it can display grain without it becoming a mushy mess. 

12 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Thanks, I guess I wasn't waiting long enough, I tend to hit Enter the second I post a link.

Here are two recent videos shot with the S5. The images in the videos are taken with a Canon 5DIV. All natural light only for the video portions.  The audio is using the XLR module via the lav mic. I have found that the XLR adapter seems to be a bit more problematic with the S5 than it was with the GH5 especially getting it to work with the Sennheiser wireless kit. I once had to restart the camera to get the audio to start working after turning on the Sennheisers and I had to disable ALC in the camera because it kept shutting off the XLR input even though the audio was not peaking.

As far as film look vs looking too digital, I don't really focus on things like that, I feel like on a cell phone which is where most of my videos get watched, the audience just couldn't care less so I can't let myself try to achieve things that my audience won't pay more for. I do miss my GH5 MFT Voigtlanders though, they had this look that was way more pleasing to me than I've been able to get out of the Canon and Sigma lenses. I just picked up some ProMist filters that I'm going to try out on my next daytime shoot; if Voigtlander made L mount or EF mount lenses I definitely would consider getting a set. Which does bring me to my last point which is I don't think it is the sensors which make the image look too "digital", I think the lenses have a lot to do with it as well and no matter how much post processing you do, if you start with a difficult sensor/lens combination it's never going to look as good as if you had a lens that got you 90% of the way there in camera.

Nice work, never made a shoot with models, but maybe we are too little people in South Tyrol, that need a lot of models 😉

6 hours ago, omega1978 said:

Nice work, never made a shoot with models, but maybe we are too little people in South Tyrol, that need a lot of models 😉

Modeling work is big in my area in Florida, nearly an endless supply; I shoot fashion shows, runway shows, model promos, designer promos, branding shoots, etc. nearly year around in between real estate, corporate work, and other types of events and in addition to all of the video work I also offer a wide variety of photography which is why I love the S5. When I set up my kit I need to be able to shoot just about anything and for now my S5 and Canon 5DIV together can get just about any job done. Who knows, one day it might just be two S5's, but for now I still rely heavily on my 5DIV for photography.

I would love to move to more artistic type shooting such as creative shorts like some of the really cool projects that have been posted here, but unfortunately they don't pay the bills in my area.

20 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Nice work.

My only question is: Models got money for video? I thought models would fall just south of local musicians when it comes to resources available for self promotion...

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Nice work.

My only question is: Models got money for video? I thought models would fall just south of local musicians when it comes to resources available for self promotion...

Typically the parents do. Especially right now the parents aren't paying the talent agencies, the runway show fees, the travel fees to get to the runway shows, the acting classes etc.  since it is all shut down in most parts of the country; and a lot of models are trying to go the YouTube / Instagram route so business is pretty good for me right now.

The musician situation is why I don't shoot many music videos; too much work for what is typically next to no budget. Sorry, you just can't get a car, mansion, and a private helicopter in your music video with a $500 budget. There's still niches where money can be made if you are in the right area at the right time but the hard part is finding them.

Another big one right now is livestreaming and recording smaller versions of events for companies and a lot of companies in my area are updating their websites with more photography and more video to try to reach their customers who are shopping/researching remotely; so business in those areas is also doing pretty good for now.

10 hours ago, BjornT said:

The grain is not as good as on vimeo this is true but if the video is displayed in 4K on youtube it can display grain without it becoming a mushy mess. 

I guess I like the "digital" look then because to me that looked terrible 🙂. But that's just my opinion. I'm not the type that enjoys trying to emulate the past; now I do think the camcorder look is also terrible and to me camcorders look too digital; but I will take a modern cinema camera with a good lens / diffuser combination combined with a cinematic color grade any day over the "film look" if this video is an example of what that means.

16 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I guess I like the "digital" look then because to me that looked terrible 🙂. But that's just my opinion. I'm not the type that enjoys trying to emulate the past; now I do think the camcorder look is also terrible and to me camcorders look too digital; but I will take a modern cinema camera with a good lens / diffuser combination combined with a cinematic color grade any day over the "film look" if this video is an example of what that means.

Film like digital has many looks and this one obviously went for a super16mm look. But one can easily turn off grain, halation and blur and just get the colors with that powergrade. I think grading under a print emulation lut like many pro colorists do helps a lot though to get to something that feels "cinematic" https://juanmelara.com.au