Panasonic S5 User Experience

herein2020

1 hour ago, mercer said:

This video helps to explain how Panasonic's focus peaking works and its settings. With my past Panny cameras, I was often frustrated with their focus peaking implementation, but when you could see it, there was no question it was in focus. I ended up monitoring in B&W using red lines to make it a bit easier.

That might help with focus, but monitoring colored footage in b&w does have its downsides like art direction, color casts, weird skintones, ...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

That might help with focus, but monitoring colored footage in b&w does have its downsides like art direction, color casts, weird skintones, ...

It's definitely not a perfect scenario, but if we were shooting in perfect scenarios, we'd all own, or have access to an Alexa. So compromises need to be made. Of course, you are making good points. But I always think something I shoot could end up being B&W anyway, so I like to have a look at the footage in monochrome. With my 5D, I've never had an issue, but I often switch back and forth between color and B&W while monitoring. With the older Panny's I've used, CineLikeD usually had weird skin tones anyway so it didn't matter too much. I assume with their newer cameras and the vLog LUT monitoring, it's much different. All in all, I try not to trust focus peaking too much anyway. I always punch-in before hitting record. 

5 hours ago, mercer said:

It's definitely not a perfect scenario, but if we were shooting in perfect scenarios, we'd all own, or have access to an Alexa. So compromises need to be made. Of course, you are making good points. But I always think something I shoot could end up being B&W anyway, so I like to have a look at the footage in monochrome. With my 5D, I've never had an issue, but I often switch back and forth between color and B&W while monitoring. With the older Panny's I've used, CineLikeD usually had weird skin tones anyway so it didn't matter too much. I assume with their newer cameras and the vLog LUT monitoring, it's much different. All in all, I try not to trust focus peaking too much anyway. I always punch-in before hitting record. 

I shoot a lot of events and work on a wide variety of projects especially ones where the subject is moving so I can't afford to monitor in BW. My favorite focusing system of all time is the Canon system with the 3 triangles; it is such a fantastic way to know without question when something is in focus. I know Canon patented their system, but you would think other vendors could come up with something better than colored dots that are impossible to see 95% of the time.

I punch in to check focus too but it doesn't do you any good if the subject or camera moved afterwards, especially since you can't punch in again while recording. There is just no easy answer. My answer is to shoot with a wider lens when I'm on a gimbal (24mm) and to shoot with the highest F stop I can get away with F8 and higher. Indoors of course is even harder but the wide angle lens helps. For crazy shallow DOF shots I carefully stage everything and try to keep the camera pretty static while the subject moves slightly, but those shots are more planned out than say an event.

Not a fan of monitoring in B&W here either.

I (currently) shoot profiles (a tweaked version of Natural current choice) as I'd rather get as close a sense of the final result as possible.

Each to their own and all that. Tried it with photography also and nah, it's not for me.

Why noone except MrSMW showing footage. It´s getting dull in a thread about a fantastic camera. Well here is some S1H showing off the potential of what you and me could achieve too with either a S5 or a S1. I have posted three own S1 vids, so lets keep em coming and let them being discussed as well. So, here it goes S1H showing off for her sisters S1 and S5. Monster cinema cameras unleashed.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:52 AM, herein2020 said:
  • WFM/Vector Scope - The WFM is so large that I frequently turn it on to check exposure then turn it off to shoot the scene

Same problem with WFM on the GH5, it is "too large", perhaps if I was able to turn up the transparency of the WFM box then it would be more tolerable to leave it up & on? 

10 hours ago, omega1978 said:

You use the weebill s with IBIS on ?

Thank you for the compliment.

Yes, I do / did use IBIS on the Weebill S, but it is a bit complicated.

The first video (34 Vista Real), I used the full BODY IBIS, where all of the Axis are controlled by the IBIS of the S1. 

In the second video (38 Thunderbird) I instead used the Lens IS for the majority of the stabilization (I think it is three axis from the lens) and the body is handling the other Axis. 

Note that I am using the Canon 16-35 f/4 L which has lens stabilization, so you can set the S1 to let the lens do the majority of the stabilization. 

I did this for the second video (38 Thunderbird) because I noticed a lot more corner warping in the first video (34 Vista Real). I was told on facebook or some such place that by switching to lens IBIS I could reduce corner warping when shooting at 16mm on a gimbal.

So what I have found is using lens stabilization (primarily) with IBIS and then using stabilization in Resolve helps to get the smoothest motion for me.

I have tried using the Weebill S with IBIS turned off completely and it just isn't smooth enough, even with stabilization in Resolve.

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thank you for the compliment.

Yes, I do / did use IBIS on the Weebill S, but it is a bit complicated.

The first video (34 Vista Real), I used the full BODY IBIS, where all of the Axis are controlled by the IBIS of the S1. 

In the second video (38 Thunderbird) I instead used the Lens IS for the majority of the stabilization (I think it is three axis from the lens) and the body is handling the other Axis. 

Note that I am using the Canon 16-35 f/4 L which has lens stabilization, so you can set the S1 to let the lens do the majority of the stabilization. 

I did this for the second video (38 Thunderbird) because I noticed a lot more corner warping in the first video (34 Vista Real). I was told on facebook or some such place that by switching to lens IBIS I could reduce corner warping when shooting at 16mm on a gimbal.

So what I have found is using lens stabilization (primarily) with IBIS and then using stabilization in Resolve helps to get the smoothest motion for me.

I have tried using the Weebill S with IBIS turned off completely and it just isn't smooth enough, even with stabilization in Resolve.

Warping with Ibis on wide angle lens is a problem. on the Jerusalema video i avoid this with zooming in to 20 mm.

without ibis the stabilisation on weebill s is very bad ( my crane 2 was much better )

3 minutes ago, omega1978 said:

This is the trailer for a new wedding website. I have to reframe some shot, was made in rush 😁.

what do you think ?

All shot S1 with Canon 35 1.4, 85 1.2 on MC21 4k50p natural profil 

Looks good. 

Shot at 60p??? Were you shooting in 4K or 1080p?

I like the look of (older) Canon EF lenses on the S1. don't get me wrong, I like the look of the 24-105 f/4 but I think that is best for maybe product photography where it is ok to have a "clinical" look.

3 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Looks good. 

Shot at 60p??? Were you shooting in 4K or 1080p?

I like the look of (older) Canon EF lenses on the S1. don't get me wrong, I like the look of the 24-105 f/4 but I think that is best for maybe product photography where it is ok to have a "clinical" look.

Thank you. 4k 50p. Yes the 35 1.4 II is not so old, but has a good 3D Pop, the 85 1.2 II is a bokeh beast ...

While a lot of work, craft and talent has been poured in all the latest videos from the S range cameras I find the footage too "video" for my liking. It is very clean, it has nice  hues but it seems to lack soul...  Just my feeling, I am not bashing on what are clearly excellent cameras. Some of the videos in this thread are great but you cannot help feeling how better they could become due to some more emotive colour science. What is the critical opinion of the S camera owners?

2 hours ago, josdr said:

While a lot of work, craft and talent has been poured in all the latest videos from the S range cameras I find the footage too "video" for my liking. It is very clean, it has nice  hues but it seems to lack soul...  Just my feeling, I am not bashing on what are clearly excellent cameras. Some of the videos in this thread are great but you cannot help feeling how better they could become due to some more emotive colour science. What is the critical opinion of the S camera owners?

Yeah def agree, its part colour science but also too sharp and detailed. Using vintage lenses helps, but for narrative work I would use a proper cinema camera. But the s series is great for company videos and thats what I will use this cam for as it is a faster way of working. (Ibis, small, less weight, pretty good battery life)

I think, image quality is overwhelmingly good, to a point I sometimes feel like I cheat. You can always take away the super high resolving look in post. A few clicks, done. I still have issue with oversaturated blue caused by lensflares, f.i. from my FD 50mm 1.4. I would do more testing before shooting something sufficient with a lot of backlight in combination with that or other lenses. Colourscience is awesome. I can create any look I want from it. With Vlog, it is a cinema camera through and through for the price of 1500USD.

@omega1978 The part with the couples kissing is conceptually the strongest. Rhythm is good, even for viewers like me to keep on track, even without interest in an immediate wedding.:) Good and solid work. Music is not my friend in this video.:) Future couples will like your video. Well done and thank you for showing! Grading is a bit on the saturated side, well, it looks like a wedding video:) Couples looking good, which is most important for a wedding video. They will book you, I am very sure. cheers

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah def agree, its part colour science but also too sharp and detailed. Using vintage lenses helps, but for narrative work I would use a proper cinema camera. But the s series is great for company videos and thats what I will use this cam for as it is a faster way of working. (Ibis, small, less weight, pretty good battery life)

I can definitely imagine that these cameras are great for company work. @omega1978 wedding videos are as good as it gets in a non-controlled environment for company work . Very nice work

@PannySVHS I agree that you can take the super high resolving look in post but there is some emotive character missing vlog or not. Unfortunately I never had the pleasure to perhaps shoot an s5/s1 along with my x-t3 in the same exact setting in order to be able to describe it further. I am envious of Panasonic's approach of making their cameras more videocentric friendly in their use (most fujistas are ignorant of what their cameras can do video-wise )

Do the professional panasonic cameras have better colour science or is this as good as it gets and the rest is production value and ease of use? I almost bought a gh a couple of years ago but I still did not like the look back then. I am not bashing Panasonic at all , these are fantastic cameras I would be very happy to own.  I am just interested in what their everyday experienced users critically think away from "the mine is better than yours" mentality.

I suppose the feeling we are after is too fleeting and complicated to be explained in a couple of paragraphs

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

I think, image quality is overwhelmingly good, to a point I sometimes feel like I cheat. You can always take away the super high resolving look in post. A few clicks, done. I still have issue with oversaturated blue caused by lensflares, f.i. from my FD 50mm 1.4. I would do more testing before shooting something sufficient with a lot of backlight in combination with that or other lenses. Colourscience is awesome. I can create any look I want from it. With Vlog, it is a cinema camera through and through for the price of 1500USD.

I dont know man, it might be true, but I have seen no footage to back this up. I have not seen anything great shot on the S line( A lot of OK stuff, but nothing that wows me or where I can say damn that looks cinematic (yes lighting, set design, actors and all matter, but a lot of these video's have put work into these divisions but still looks kinda off to me). Could be numerous reasons, not many people might use them, different type of users are using them, maybe not users that know a lot about color grading, the S5 for example is maybe too new (allthough the image is the almost exactly the same as the s1 and S1H)