Panasonic S5 User Experience

herein2020

15 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

record limits

That is the one area where for my third body, I am actually considering the S1H with it's unlimited recording... 

Also for the cooling as this 3rd unit designated 'pure video' can be sitting on a tripod in direct sunlight for over 1 hour at 40 degrees C / 100+ F.

Actually not had any problems with overheating in this scenario with my old Sony camcorder, but I suspect an S5 as good as it is at not overheating, probably wouldn't last beyond 30 mins (if that) under such circumstances.

The above is an extreme rarity, but has to be considered and the norm is more like 30-40 mins in the low to mid 30's in direct sun as Brits getting married in France like to get married in the middle of the afternoon in order to maximise their post-ceremony drinking time.

Stop/start recording at appropriate points is not an issue for me and I think this can even be done remotely with the app in a pinch, so it's more for the cooling aspect.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
55 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

That is the one area where for my third body, I am actually considering the S1H with it's unlimited recording... 

Also for the cooling as this 3rd unit designated 'pure video' can be sitting on a tripod in direct sunlight for over 1 hour at 40 degrees C / 100+ F.

Actually not had any problems with overheating in this scenario with my old Sony camcorder, but I suspect an S5 as good as it is at not overheating, probably wouldn't last beyond 30 mins (if that) under such circumstances.

The above is an extreme rarity, but has to be considered and the norm is more like 30-40 mins in the low to mid 30's in direct sun as Brits getting married in France like to get married in the middle of the afternoon in order to maximise their post-ceremony drinking time.

Stop/start recording at appropriate points is not an issue for me and I think this can even be done remotely with the app in a pinch, so it's more for the cooling aspect.

The S1 record with no limit in HLG 1.5 h the ceremony in church with 28 degress.

Tested this august..

I forgot the S5 has a recording limit.  Thats a no go for me. I've endured 30 min recording limit with cameras for too long and now all my cameras have unlimited recording.  For Weddings I filmed, with Ceremony and Speeches last an hour in many cases, I can't be bothered pandering to a cameras recording limit.  Its another reason I won't touch the R5 or R6.  

Well the S1 is of course the other option but I suspect there is less of a difference in regard to potential overheating between S5 and S1 as there is between S1H vs S1 or S5.

It's not so much the air temp that is an issue because even say 28 degrees indoors is not like 28 degrees outdoors with the sun blasting onto a black camera body which = steadily/rapidly increasing camera body temperature. 

The Panasonic's do seem to have better than average (class best possibly?) thermal properties, but strong direct Summer sun is another beast altogether!

1 minute ago, SteveV4D said:

I've endured 30 min recording limit with cameras for too long

I hear you Steve but if it's church, I just press stop as one of the readers goes to sit and then start again.

Ditto after and before each speech.

However, it's then slightly trickier to sync up audio isn't it?!

I think I'm moving towards my third unit being an S1H despite it's cost and bulk, but in regard to the latter, it will sit on a tripod for ceremonies and speeches and then freestanding monopod the rest of the day.

It makes sense.

3 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I hear you Steve but if it's church, I just press stop as one of the readers goes to sit and then start again.

I'm not sure what your churches or venues for Speeches are like.  I have countless where I am very restricted in movement.  Plus those readings have to be timed perfectly.  I'd rather not have that worry.   I spent years building up cameras with no recording limit to sacrifice it now.  

2 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

I'm not sure what your churches or venues for Speeches are like

It's France Steve so much less rigid than the UK!

No snooty registrars banging on about legalities (that do not exist) or vicars stating, "though shalt not capture in my church sayeth nobody for no good reason except me".

Church is actually maybe 1 in 20 weddings and the rest are outdoors al fresco so virtually zero restriction in regard to what I can set up, where or get to etc, so I pretty much float the perimeter.

Speeches are about 1/2 and 1/2, ie, either outside in the open air or if inside, it's usually a barn.

I don't miss trying to capture weddings in the UK 😉

2 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

I forgot the S5 has a recording limit.  Thats a no go for me. I've endured 30 min recording limit with cameras for too long and now all my cameras have unlimited recording.  For Weddings I filmed, with Ceremony and Speeches last an hour in many cases, I can't be bothered pandering to a cameras recording limit.  Its another reason I won't touch the R5 or R6.  

Actual overheating concerns aside, keep in mind that the record limit is only for the 10 bit modes. I shot for years with the GH5 and only ever used 8 bit, so before buying the S5 I decided if I needed to shoot for longer than 30 min I would just use the 8 bit modes. As long as you WB and expose properly 8 bit holds up quite well. I have never had a client tell me that I didn't use enough bits for their project.

My use cases are a bit different though since I rarely shoot weddings. Most of my work is short takes and not in direct sunlight.

1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

Actual overheating concerns aside, keep in mind that the record limit is only for the 10 bit modes. I shot for years with the GH5 and only ever used 8 bit, so before buying the S5 I decided if I needed to shoot for longer than 30 min I would just use the 8 bit modes. As long as you WB and expose properly 8 bit holds up quite well. I have never had a client tell me that I didn't use enough bits for their project.

I initially used 8 bit for the GH5.  When I switched to vLog I went with 10 bit and I prefer it for its flexibility and DR.  Though I'm now on 12 bit RAW mostly for the same reason. 🤣🤣

I love your comment about no client ever telling you that you didn't use enough bits..  I don't think we can rely on clients understanding on video tech anymore than I understand car mechanics when I put my car in for service.   I'm sure your clients don't ask you for fullframe either.  Or even for you to shoot with a Panasonic camera at all.  😉  Ultimately we have to choose the parameters of our work based on personal preference and style.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Church is actually maybe 1 in 20 weddings and the rest are outdoors al fresco so virtually zero restriction in regard to what I can set up, where or get to etc, so I pretty much float the perimeter.

Ok, so here is my stupid question of the day:

If most weddings are outdoors, why not a GH5 for your third camera (for the ceremony / speeches) instead of an S1H?

It should last over an hour, right?

I've never used a GH5 so I don't know either way.

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

It's France Steve so much less rigid than the UK!

No snooty registrars banging on about legalities (that do not exist) or vicars stating, "though shalt not capture in my church sayeth nobody for no good reason except me".

I'm envious.  Churches and even registrars here are nightmares.  Make my work so stressful at times.  And as you say, for no good reason except to be difficult.

36 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

If most weddings are outdoors, why not a GH5 for your third camera (for the ceremony / speeches) instead of an S1H?

He would have to buy another type of lens but I second that. A GH5S would be even better as on the odd occasion the light isn't good it won't be a problem. I picked up a 12-35mm 2.8 for 300€. It's a lens that covers most situations. I have used a GX80 (no record limit) as a general wide shot of a ceremony with the 12-32 f3.5-5.6 and it worked fine. Can be bought for 100€. 

My plan is to sell my GX80, various lenses including the fantastic 10-15 1.7 and get a S5 as a main A cam with the GH5 and GH5S as be and C cams and for streaming etc

18 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

My plan is to sell my GX80, various lenses including the fantastic 10-15 1.7 and get a S5 as a main A cam with the GH5 and GH5S as be and C cams and for streaming etc

Similar thinking but slightly different cameras.  Currently thinking S1 as my go to run n gun hybrid, or B camera to compliment my P4K and P6K A cameras, with GH5 and GH5s as C cameras.  I can finally retire the GH4rs I have, which are okay, but a bit temperamental now after years of service.  I've no problem matching GH5 or GH5s to a S1.  It'll be easier than matching them to the Pockets.  Still looking at the C70, but who knows how lucrative 2021 will be after this year.... 

14 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Similar thinking but slightly different cameras.  Currently thinking S1 as my go to run n gun hybrid, or B camera to compliment my P4K and P6K A cameras, with GH5 and GH5s as C cameras.  I can finally retire the GH4rs I have, which are okay, but a bit temperamental now after years of service.  I've no problem matching GH5 or GH5s to a S1.  It'll be easier than matching them to the Pockets.  Still looking at the C70, but who knows how lucrative 2021 will be after this year.... 

yeah, would have liked to have had a good experience with the P4K but was scared off it the one time I used it. All sorts of bugs happened. The Panasonics have been pretty reliable workhorses.

I have no worries about the S1 overheating unless under extreme conditions. The S1R also might be an option now. 

I am interested to see how the S1/S1H 6K compares to the 5k coming out of the S1R. It could be potentially sharper than the 6k considering its downsampled 8k. 

18 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

I have no worries about the S1 overheating unless under extreme conditions. The S1R also might be an option now. 

I am interested to see how the S1/S1H 6K compares to the 5k coming out of the S1R. It could be potentially sharper than the 6k considering its downsampled 8k. 

That's a good question.

I am not sure: Will the S1R be getting the VLOG update???

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

Currently thinking S1 as my go to run n gun hybrid, or B camera to compliment my P4K and P6K A cameras, with GH5 and GH5s as C cameras. 

Here's the thing that kind of has me a bit beweildered / confused / annoyed with using my S1 as a run and gun camera (I really mean on a gimbal for real estate).

In many situations, I find the IBIS can lead to warping that I can't get out. 

Might be 100% user error.

I am using a Canon 16-35 f/4 L on my S1 (along with the MC-21) and I have found that with my workflow using Resolve, it is better to set the S1 and len to Lens Stabilization (where the IS of the lens handles pan and tilt, and the body stabilization only handles roll). Then use Resolve's stabilization in post to smooth out further.

I noticed on Panasonic L Mount lenses that I CAN'T use Lens stabilization only. Maybe the Dual IS system in use on Panasonic L Mount lenses automatically divides the duties up where the lens is handling pan and tilt and the body is handling roll already? (Without having to assign it in the menu.)

Anyway, this is probably why I will continue to use the Canon 16-35 f/4 L on a gimbal instead of going for the smaller, light (but much more expensive) Panasonic 16-35 f/4.

3 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

That's a good question.

I am not sure: Will the S1R be getting the VLOG update???

I am unsure on that. I know its getting 10 bit, looks like only up to 30p. I assume the 5k will probably be H265 10 bit 420 200mbps. Would make sense to include vlog but we'll see. 

2 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

It’s not a stupid question but a valid one...but no for many reasons I won’t bore anyone with!

I’m struggling to see past an S1H now. Same money as 2x S5 bodies, but I can probably justify it based on expected useage of 75 weddings so extra cost covered with the 1st wedding of the year.

27 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Here's the thing that kind of has me a bit beweildered / confused / annoyed with using my S1 as a run and gun camera (I really mean on a gimbal for real estate).

In many situations, I find the IBIS can lead to warping that I can't get out. 

IBIS is a double edged sword and why I'm maybe happier and shooting better without it on the Pockets.  Like you I find it led to warping on wide angles and occasionally some telephoto shots.  Mostly wide angle though.  I find shots hand holding my Pocket 4K with a Canon IS lens and some Resolve stabilisation, do look a lot better than my GH5 shots with IBIS.  Though you lose some resolution doing it in post.

I use a GH5s on my gimbal and not the GH5.  I use the GH5 where I need to hand hold the camera on the go...  plus when its raining.   Its not a gimbal camera for me.

2 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

IBIS is a double edged sword and why I'm maybe happier and shooting better without it on the Pockets.  Like you I find it led to warping on wide angles and occasionally some telephoto shots.  Mostly wide angle though.  I find shots hand holding my Pocket 4K with a Canon IS lens and some Resolve stabilisation, do look a lot better than my GH5 shots with IBIS.  Though you lose some resolution doing it in post.

I use a GH5s on my gimbal and not the GH5.  I use the GH5 where I need to hand hold the camera on the go...  plus when its raining.   Its not a gimbal camera for me.

I think its very shot dependent. I used the S1 with a 35mm lens on a gimbal and it looked fantastic. It was a slower shot though without much if any panning. The main use for IBIS for me is more like getting stable more static handheld shots. IS can accomplish this too but I'd rather use my Canon FD glass or Sigma primes rather than a Canon AF lens or something.