Panasonic S5 User Experience

herein2020

21 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I tested the Canon EF-S 10-22mm; and holy sh*t I stand corrected @Lux Shots, the Sigma 18-35mm EF-S lens does work on the S5, but not the Canon EF-S 10-22mm. I also tested the Canon EF-S 18-135 F3.5-F5.6 and it worked also. 

Uffff! Great news! I was about to sell my 18 -135 tomorrow but I'll cancel the sale now! This would mean I could make the change to the L - mount without having to initially buy a lot of expensive lenses as I'm using it for 90% video and manually focus most of the time! If the peaking is up to scratch then I'm good to go.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Uffff! Great news! I was about to sell my 18 -135 tomorrow but I'll cancel the sale now! This would mean I could make the change to the L - mount without having to initially buy a lot of expensive lenses as I'm using it for 90% video and manually focus most of the time! If the peaking is up to scratch then I'm good to go.

I did the same thing, I got the Sigma adapter and can now use all of my EF mount FF lenses with no problem on the S5 and out of all of my lenses including APS-C lenses only the EF-S 10-22mm does not work.

The focus peaking kind of sucks, very hard to see and for me a lot of the time its just not visible at all and combine that with the fact you can't zoom in to check focus while recording  and the focusing situation when using EF lenses in general isn't that great; I am sure the native lens experience is better. As long as you aren't filming with a razor thin depth of field and not filming anything fast paced its workable but definitely not great.

11 hours ago, Thpriest said:

Btw the autofocus is surprisingly a bit faster with the 18-135 compared to my tamron 24-70 g2, even though on a native ef camera the 18-135 is a lot slower then the tamron. Also apsc is limited 12mp, so the resolution you get out of your photos won't be great, same for 4k video, where it is only a one to one readout, so the noise and resolution isn't gonna be the best.

5 hours ago, jack jin said:

Also apsc is limited 12mp, so the resolution you get out of your photos won't be great, same for 4k video, where it is only a one to one readout, so the noise and resolution isn't gonna be the best.

So the 4K is noisier and has less resolution in all apsc modes or when you use apsc lenses?

I mean, is there a difference between using a native L-mount lens in 4k 50p (apsc) and using an adapted apsc lens?

4 hours ago, Thpriest said:

So the 4K is noisier and has less resolution in all apsc modes or when you use apsc lenses?

I mean, is there a difference between using a native L-mount lens in 4k 50p (apsc) and using an adapted apsc lens?

The camera automatically switches to APSC mode when using S35 glass at least if the glass is modern with electronics. Honestly S35 mode looks great though. 

Sample 85mm F1.8 L mount images from DP Review. I have never owned an 85mm, I always feel like I'll get into too many situations with the 85mm where I won't have enough room to get back far enough to get the composition that I want, so I prefer the 50mm, I've been on plenty of shoots where I had problems making even the 50mm work especially for boudoir where bedrooms and hotel rooms aren't that big so I'm more interested in the 50mm than this one but the images out of the 85mm do look nice:

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/4485951356/panasonic-lumix-s-85mm-f1-8-pre-production-sample-gallery/7497596978

On 11/4/2020 at 5:46 PM, herein2020 said:

Lets not forget....using an external recorder makes it worse, and no ability to zoom in while recording to check MF is a real pain at least for me.

You should be able to zoom in with your recorder, right? Atomos 5 or 7 inch recorder should do the job well.

17 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

The camera automatically switches to APSC mode when using S35 glass at least if the glass is modern with electronics. Honestly S35 mode looks great though. 

Does the S5 have an extra S35 mode besides the APS-C? S1 only offer APS-C besides the full readout in the 4K modes. S35 on the S1H is a bit larger than 1:1 readout which the APS-C is.

10 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

You should be able to zoom in with your recorder, right? Atomos 5 or 7 inch recorder should do the job well.

I don't use external recorders or monitors, I am already carrying around too much gear as it is, and even if I did, I wouldn't use one with the S5 because of the mini HDMI port. I do a lot of gimbal work, hybrid shoots, etc., I can't add a monitor to my kit. I'll make the S5 work, but focusing will never be easy.

20 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I don't use external recorders or monitors, I am already carrying around too much gear as it is, and even if I did, I wouldn't use one with the S5 because of the mini HDMI port. I do a lot of gimbal work, hybrid shoots, etc., I can't add a monitor to my kit. I'll make the S5 work, but focusing will never be easy.

Yeah it’s sucks though tbh after using an external monitor it’s hard to go back to tiny on camera monitors 

20 minutes ago, Calum MacPhail said:

With the upcoming firmware update for RAW video, is there any reason not the buy a used S1 rather than an S5? The bigger EVF, LCD, Grip and larger HDMI port all seem like big reasons to get the S1.

Anything big I would miss by not getting an S5 instead? 

Weight and screen that can be flipped to the front so you can film youself(handy for test shots or vlogging)

11 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Yeah it’s sucks though tbh after using an external monitor it’s hard to go back to tiny on camera monitors 

I have an external monitor for my C200 in addition to its Canon monitor, but unless it is a pretty well paying shoot I don't bother pulling it out. I guess I've gotten used to just dealing with tiny screens, the hassle of setting up the monitor, dealing with the cables, figuring out how to power it, etc. just isn't worth it to me. Also to me its a PITA to not see all of the settings on one of the screens, or only the on board monitor is a touch screen, or with the GH5 when you connect something to the HDMI port the audio will not play back through the headphones.

7 hours ago, Calum MacPhail said:

Thanks.

Did they make the V-Log upgrade free in the end or is there a chance of buying a second hand S1 without it?

Still have to pay for it, so yea make sure if you get one second hand that it has the upgrade. The lack of a tilt / flip screen is a big one for me. I do a lot of gimbal work and low shots, that tilt flip screen is a life saver. The lack of a tilt/flip screen was one of the main reasons that I never considered the S1 or S1R when they came out; that and they didn't do 4K60FPS at the time.