Fuji X-S10

Carz

On 10/16/2020 at 9:31 AM, Kisaha said:

Yes, thank you, but where is it?!

They have to act fast, most people in business I know will get a Canon from now, till Christmas. Canon will "dominate" the video market again.

It has been at least 2 years since the XH1, it wasn't a huge success, I thought they learned by that release, "smaller" companies have to do a couple of right moves to put them ahead the curve, BM does alright, Fuji had a few nice releases lately, but they have to be pro active, and get ahead.

Also, they need some better "video" lenses, less breathing, some kind of parfocalness, I.S on hybrid lenses (a better 16-70mm 4f, this one is a very expensive dissapointment), the excellent 10-24 on a newer version, e.t.c

Their ecosystem is 95% photocentric right now, and do not tell me about their 2 manual MK lenses, they are nice, but not enough, and certainly not up to what we expect in 2020-2021.

according to this interview

(https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2020/09/04/fujifilm-interview-covid-gfx-strategy-shrinking-ibis-300K-cycle-shutter)

X-H2 will come with "some sort of breakthrough", "something more revolutionary".

Possibly global shutter? oversampled 6K60? AI boosted AF?

Since they appear to be very ambitious for the X-H2, I am willing to wait. X-T3 is still all I need now.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, MrSMW said:

By the sounds of it, this camera should be perfect for you and your needs.

I think this mated with the 18-55 'kit' lens and 99% of any users needs would be covered.

Unless you absolutely need weather sealing in which case a used XT3 can be had for even less money and perhaps even more sense?

Grip not quite enough? (XT3) Add a Smallrig for about 30 'your currency'.

Otherwise I think your analysis is about right; 4/3rds we have G9/GH5/Olympus, at APSC, Fuji and then it's the full frame options.

The S5 with the 20-60mm kit lens also makes a very compelling 'one and done' option and is both smaller and lighter than say a G9 or GH5 with 10-25mm lens and the sensor is something like 17x bigger 😉

Yeah, this one with the 18-55 or the 16-80 probably will be my start (always liked the 18-55 but I've got use to the 24mm eq. in my trips.

XT-3: yeah, could be another option. But it have two usability-ish issues: no IBIS (I know that the 18-55 OIS is very good, but IBIS stills works better in video) and go back and forth between stills and video (I remember that it was one of your complaints about it). And for hybrid use, PASM dials are better than the usual Fujifilm dials (terrific for stills, not so much for video). The XS-10 even have separated meus for still and video.

Grip: yeah, I'm used with external grips (always attached in my E-M10 and GX9), but a grip with a shutter button usually works better than a external grip with the shutter in the original position.

Liked the S5 a lot, but FF is a distant options especially now (live in a country that, with all the taxes, photographic material have a 100% increase over US prices, with average income about 50% of US...is like cameras as 4x more expensive here). 

And I like to shoot a lot in concerts (er, before the pandemic and a small daughter 🙂 ), and crop factors are beneficial in this scenario. Got some amazing shots from far with m43 cameras with the amazing 135mm f/2.8 Contax Zeiss. 

5 hours ago, Jay60p said:

There are two Fuji choices right now for $999 (B&H information):

X-T3 : for Video:  4K60p 10bit internal, no IBIS. (reduced from $1500)

X-S10: for video: 4K30p 8bit internal, with IBIS.

I would recommend the X-T3.

I am happy with the video stabilization in Final Cut Pro, very adjustable with less "wobble" than IBIS.

Never used FCP (Windows user here), and when I've tried Warp Stabilizer in Premiere never got decent results. I will switch to Resolve and will try its stabilizer.

10 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Yeah, this one with the 18-55 or the 16-80

Even though I had one, I always seem to forget that the 16-80 exists.

OK, changing my 'one and done' to X-S10 + 16-80. Also it's a constant aperture. And the lens is WR.

Personally, for me, I'd still go XT3 + Smallrig grip because; it's cheaper, better video, prefer the screen type and weather sealed.

But both I think are equally valid options.

16 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Liked the S5 a lot, but FF is a distant options especially now (live in a country that, with all the taxes, photographic material have a 100% increase over US prices, with average income about 50% of US...is like cameras as 4x more expensive here). 

And I like to shoot a lot in concerts (er, before the pandemic and a small daughter 🙂 ), and crop factors are beneficial in this scenario. Got some amazing shots from far with m43 cameras with the amazing 135mm f/2.8 Contax Zeiss. 

Recently most of the forum topics have been about new FF cameras for $3-5 thousand, but I bet 90% of views on this forum are from people looking to spend $1000 or less.

Even in the USA the average family savings account is only about the price of a new car, and for age under 35 the average is $10,000.

If you do mostly hand held shooting and don't care about 4k60p, the X-S10 is the obvious choice for the IBIS.

16 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Never used FCP (Windows user here), and when I've tried Warp Stabilizer in Premiere never got decent results. I will switch to Resolve and will try its stabilizer.

I compared the After Effects stabilizer (same as Premier?) doing walking/running torture tests, and the Final Cut Pro InertiaCam stabilizer was much better.

I haven't tried Resolve.

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Even though I had one, I always seem to forget that the 16-80 exists.

OK, changing my 'one and done' to X-S10 + 16-80. Also it's a constant aperture. And the lens is WR.

Personally, for me, I'd still go XT3 + Smallrig grip because; it's cheaper, better video, prefer the screen type and weather sealed.

But both I think are equally valid options.

Screen type - never undestood why Fuji made the (almost) best solution for the LCD hinge in the XT-100 and never used it again. I prefer tilt screens too, but undestand the use cases for a flip screen, and the XT-100 have a hinge that pleased both camps.

But if I got a Fuji and liked it, for sure will have a second body - always like to have a backup, or have one set for stills and another for video, when possible / convenient. Probably will get both, but for a hybrid start still think that the X-S10 will be better, because of easier switching between stills and video on the fly.

And for sure in the future I will talk to you to get some hints, since you had a lot of experience in the Fuji world. 😉

I still may come back to Fuji...

Right now, my only camera and lens is the S5 and 20-60mm.

It’s a brilliant combo for most of my needs but came up against 2 needs in the last week and that is the need for a pair of fast(ish) primes and the 35 & 85 f1.8’s should take care of that, plus a ‘long’ landscape lens and a 70-300 is due sometime soon.

But it’s weddings that are my primary income so will need to test one of the above primes in some kind of social environment to just confirm to myself the whole system/combo is good enough for my needs...

...or it’s a pair of XT4’s, Smallrig grips and set of f2 primes. Unless an XH2 appeared by next Spring and that would be more likely.

I do like the new Fuji but I’d be kidding myself it was suitable for my needs.

• 3 weeks later...

User manual available: http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-s10/x-s10_omw_en_s_f.pdf

Take a fast reading through it, comparing it to the two little m43 cameras that I have now (E-M10 MK III and GX9). Looks like have none of the small problems that I have with each one, and a lot of unexpected things that I thought that would not go to a lesser model on the line, like linear focusing option and configurable front / back tally lights.

Only weaknesses that I saw so far (again, for a amateur like me) is the so-so Ibis and that the front dial could be clickable (it is fixed).

Regarding to lens, I was kind of surprised when the Camera Conspiracies guy called the 16-80 F4 a completed bullshit lens for video. Anyone here used it?

1 minute ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Regarding to lens, I was kind of surprised when the Camera Conspiracies guy called the 16-80 F4 a completed bullshit lens for video.

I wouldn't pay anything he says much (serious) attention.

He's a funny guy (mostly, it's getting a bit tiresome though now) but has little clue what he's actually doing...though to be fair, he is learning on the job as he goes along and like anyone, has to improve as a result.

But I wouldn't buy or not buy anything on one of his 'reviews'!

6 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I wouldn't pay anything he says much (serious) attention.

He's a funny guy (mostly, it's getting a bit tiresome though now) but has little clue what he's actually doing...though to be fair, he is learning on the job as he goes along and like anyone, has to improve as a result.

But I wouldn't buy or not buy anything on one of his 'reviews'!

Never take him a lot seriously, but sometimes he gets one good point or other.

Have you ever used the 16-80?

52 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Have you ever used the 16-80?

Had one for a short time this Spring/Summer after I decided I really needed more than my phone as a personal camera.

Decent range, good for stills in good light, didn’t use it for video as f4 on APSC is not really my thing, especially when I had the Sigma 18-35mm, Tamron 45 and 85mm all f1.8’s.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like will be available here in mid-December. Hence, 1 month to try a Fuji to get around to see if it fits my needs...

Than I saw a used X-T20 with the 18-55 f/2.8-4, 6 batteries (2 original), external grip and flash for about the US used price (for Brazil prices, kind of a bargain) and ordered it. An X-T30 would be better, but used units are very rare and a new body would cost 30% more than the whole kit above.

Since my doubs are more in usability terms, photo IQ is very similar with the last Fujis, and video is a little bit worse (4k line skipped, but I liked the samples that I saw), if the X-T20 fit my needs than I will go full Fuji (will miss my m4/3 gear - specially the Olympus 75mm 1.8...).

xs10_b.jpg.deb9b1beaf1ecdbee6a7f51686367942.jpg

xs10_a.jpg.96d267d805b22c8628e419aee300cfec.jpg

Got mine 🙂 

Grip is great. It really should be standard on all their cameras, especially now that most of their newer lenses are bigger and heavier than their older ones.

Controls are great. I can put the lenses into A position and control the aperture using the front dial when in Aperture or Manual exposure modes. Things generally feel more intuitive and when I want to change my exposure triangle my fingers dont have to move around 3 different parts of the camera. 

I haven't done any tests with video yet but if its the same as the XT4's h.264 mode then it should be fine. Obviously if you do more serious video work you'll want the XT. It's a real shame there's no 4k60 as well.

Viewfinder is smaller. They could have put a bigger one in. The Panasonic G85 was around the same body size and had a 0.74x magnifcation. This only has 0.62x. But to be honest I don't mind much. It's actually still bigger than enthusiast DSLR's such as the Canon 80D which had a 0.59x magnification. 

I've always loved the Fuji look but disliked the ergonomics. This one is a real winner. The smaller size and weight, combined with better grip and ergonomics makes it much better for use as a casual camera. I'm also pleased they put the mic jack out of the way of the screen.

I would happily pay more for a camera that's just like this but has 10bit h265, 4k60 and uses the new bigger batteries. 

4 hours ago, Simon Young said:

@RogerRabbit How are those Viltrox's treating you?

They're fantastic. AF works great. Image quality is great. The 23 even has a slight rainbow flare at f1.4 which is a nice characteristic. My only grip is that they don't look great and the aperture ring isn't clicked, so I end up moving it a lot by mistake, although that's less likely to happen now that I can control the aperture with the front dial. 

• 2 weeks later...