Fuji X-S10

Carz

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I wasn't so fond of the Fuji ergonomics

That's been one of my compromises for years. Had to use a battery grip to solve that, plus get decent battery life.

My full frame camera is now smaller and lighter including lens!

2 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

If they would add 4k60 even with a 5 minute limit, I would probably get this camera

I think it's highly unlikely!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

About size, Fujirumors already posted a "size preview" of the camera, made by one of its sources:

Fujifilm-X-S10-X-T4-X-T30-Size-Comapriso

Smaller than Xt-4, bigger than the XT30.

Also the controls are different from usual Fuji, with a PASM dial.

"Top Plate

According to our sources, the Fujifilm X-S10 top plate will have 3 dials, of which 2 will be unmarked and one will be a PSAM dial (more or less like they are on the super-discounted Fujifilm X-T200).

So, there won’t be any top LCD, like there is on the Fujifilm X-H1.

This might explain also why Fujifilm decided to call it X-S10 and not X-H10 (or “mini X-H1“), as the top LCD is one of the unique standout features of the X-H line compared to all other Fujifilm X series cameras.

Other than that, right on the top plate there will be also a Q button, an ISO button and a dedicated video button.

And yes, of course there is a shutter button 😉

Backside

There will be the usual MENU, AF-ON, AEL, DISP/BACK, DRIVE, PLAYBACK button.

There is no D-Pad, but there is a Joystick.

Front

There is a front command dial.

There is no focus mode selector (the M-C-S switch)"

10 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Ι am not searching for the smaller camera, I have the NX500 and NX3000(Samsung cameras!) that are very small for what I use them for. For pro work the NX1 has the best ergonomics ever in my opinion. The X-T bodies never were convinient for me. I believe we have plenty of good hybrids, the next market war will be in cheap-ish, and "good enough" small video cameras, Fuji HAS to compete in this and they certainly have NOTHING to loose, or a bigger and more expensive cinema series to protect.

If you put everything the X-T4 has, into a bigger body with all the "pro" features we need for video, it will be enough to cut sales from C70 and FS cameras, but we need reliable and non overheated bodies, unlimited video recording, with ND, XLR and other I/O (I am not sure if SDI is needed here, definitely some sort of TC) and a better grip with a big battery. A reliable video tool, a workhorse without any compromises in ergonomics and codecs (no, raw it is not a neccessity here!).

There is obviously a market here, dominated by Canon/Sony for very long, I believe Fuji can, and should undercut them in price and improve their ecosystem.

Obviously they are fighting with Panasonic for the top-bottom of the market (if that makes any sense!), and they both had 4% sales last year, Fuji with just a few bodies and Panasonic with a lot more and all over the place, with a couple of careful body releases and a few more specialized video lenses (even a specialized 16-70mm 4f PZ, one) can easily dominate the dedicated video camera low end market, which is quite big. 

We still searching for the new C100, the C70 can be it, but still a bit expensive, Canon seems to do all the right things lately, they even offer their own speedboosters (I would never expect that Canon even cares for such things, and suddenly they offer vND adapter, and speedboosters!), there is still a market at the 3 - 5000euros up for grabs, I believe Fuji can delived one even as little as 3.500euros, and then we are talking!

I am 100 percent with you here! It was a matter of miscommunication, because you mentioned a small video camera on this thread about a dinky hybrid. I so agree with what you're looking for, especially because Meike has just a great set of cheep cine lenses, both in X-mount and in EF for those like me who have the Metabones speedbooster and can get "that full frame look" on a crop sensor.

The only problem, in my case at least, is that if they bring something like this to market in 6-8 months, it will be too late. The fires in the American Pacific Northwest have created a HUGE documentary opportunity. I'm sitting here in the middle of the fires scrambling to put projects together. I've already filmed in the fire zones for more than three days and interviewed residents who were burned out, or partially burned, including a very respected, well known author. I'm negotiating with a producer right now on a multi-year project and I need a C70 cam, if not a C300, asap! If the producer won't directly buy me one but puts enough in the budget to cover my needs, I will likely look to buy a C70 around Black Friday/Cyber Monday if there are good deals. 

I'm reasonably happy with the image out of my T3 and T4, especially using a Ninja to record ProRes. But having pro specs like VND and included XLR would be so helpful to my filming workflow. And I can't wait to start filming until something better Fuji comes along. 

55 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

I am 100 percent with you here! It was a matter of miscommunication, because you mentioned a small video camera on this thread about a dinky hybrid. I so agree with what you're looking for, especially because Meike has just a great set of cheep cine lenses, both in X-mount and in EF for those like me who have the Metabones speedbooster and can get "that full frame look" on a crop sensor.

The only problem, in my case at least, is that if they bring something like this to market in 6-8 months, it will be too late. The fires in the American Pacific Northwest have created a HUGE documentary opportunity. I'm sitting here in the middle of the fires scrambling to put projects together. I've already filmed in the fire zones for more than three days and interviewed residents who were burned out, or partially burned, including a very respected, well known author. I'm negotiating with a producer right now on a multi-year project and I need a C70 cam, if not a C300, asap! If the producer won't directly buy me one but puts enough in the budget to cover my needs, I will likely look to buy a C70 around Black Friday/Cyber Monday if there are good deals. 

I'm reasonably happy with the image out of my T3 and T4, especially using a Ninja to record ProRes. But having pro specs like VND and included XLR would be so helpful to my filming workflow. And I can't wait to start filming until something better Fuji comes along. 

exactly, if you can afford it, go the C70 route, no way you will ever regret it, add the 2 adaptors and another battery and you are set. seriously, no need to wait. C300 is a lot bigger camera and needs more building up, I wouldn't recomend it for this kind of work. 

But seriously, if you "have" the subject, even the X-H1 is enough!! Subject is always the boss, but as a tool, I am expecting the C70 to be the best "cheap" option around.

1 hour ago, MaverickTRD said:

I understand they don’t want to undercut their premium line cameras but this is a complete Canon move 

it has the same sensor and processor as the XT3 and XT4 and they can’t give us 4k60....and they won’t give an update for us to have 1080p240 in the xt3 

sigh 

Easier to sell new stuff I guess? They are all profit driven anyway

6 hours ago, MaverickTRD said:

I understand they don’t want to undercut their premium line cameras but this is a complete Canon move 

it has the same sensor and processor as the XT3 and XT4 and they can’t give us 4k60....and they won’t give an update for us to have 1080p240 in the xt3 

sigh 

yeah I'm just here looking at the fact that is has the XT4 sensor and wondering "ok, how long til they could give h.265 in a later firmware? otherwise nah"

4k60 I don't need, if I have a strong 1080p60/96/120 etc

Lack of any time limit in 4k24/25p (8-bit I suppose...) I would love. Almost a great b-cam to the XT4 if it had it.

Really cool little 1080p240 + IBIS rangefinder though that I'd be all over if it was slightly cheaper and I didn't already have an XT4

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

XH2?

Yes, thank you, but where is it?!

They have to act fast, most people in business I know will get a Canon from now, till Christmas. Canon will "dominate" the video market again.

It has been at least 2 years since the XH1, it wasn't a huge success, I thought they learned by that release, "smaller" companies have to do a couple of right moves to put them ahead the curve, BM does alright, Fuji had a few nice releases lately, but they have to be pro active, and get ahead.

Also, they need some better "video" lenses, less breathing, some kind of parfocalness, I.S on hybrid lenses (a better 16-70mm 4f, this one is a very expensive dissapointment), the excellent 10-24 on a newer version, e.t.c

Their ecosystem is 95% photocentric right now, and do not tell me about their 2 manual MK lenses, they are nice, but not enough, and certainly not up to what we expect in 2020-2021.

Agreed @Kisaha I think Fuji joined the hybrid bandwagon at least a year or two behind the curve.

On the video side, they caught up very quickly and the options and quality out of the XT3 and XT4 are superb.

What is really holding them back though is indeed their lenses and the prime (no pun intended) reason why I left them after 8-9 years.

I do think they should have gone XH2 rather than XT4, ie, made the XT4 but in the XH body and that would at least have kept me happy and quite a few others.

But that stills leaves the question over the lenses...

I made it work in 2019, but sold almost all my gear intending to move on Spring this year, but as we all know, the C word stepped in and stomped all over our lives.

Maybe a good thing for me as with the delay, the S5 came on the market and after a few initial wobbles, IMO is the best hybrid out there. I think there is too much internet twaddle talked over the AF which admittedly, is not the best, but it's not total dog doo either!

Anyway, this is a Fuji thread so vive la S-X10 or whatever it's called 🤩

When I say 'made it work in 2019', I should add that I made it work for me by:

A. Adding the battery grip and batteries for handling purposes and for the battery power.

B. Fringer Pro adapter so I could use,

C. The Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and Tamron 45mm f1.8

but although the Tamron offered me some OIS capability, the Sigma didn't so I used the combo on a freestanding monopod the whole time.

With my S5 and lens, it's already; more capable and in a smaller and lighter package. AF is probably in the 'comparable' range but still to be determined and no scientific tests here. The IBIS however should mean a lot more time off monopod, but again, another thing to be determined.

If I'd stuck with Fuji...or if I decide the S5 is not quite right for my wedding needs (it is for everything else, no question and absolutely a keeper) then I would go XT4 and use the 23mm f2 and 50mm f2 and possibly the 90mm f2, the 50 not having quite the range I'd like.

I have used all 3 lenses before and for video, along with the 16-55 f2.8 and 18-55 f2.8-4, considered the 23mm f2 and 50mm f2 the pick of the primes. But not the 35mm f2 which was a hunty little bugger.

Some potentially interesting Tokinas primes coming, if they ever get around to it...

On 10/15/2020 at 5:26 PM, MaverickTRD said:

sigh 

from a business standpoint, that wouldn’t make much sense unless they  significantly increase the price of the camera. 

I think this one is not intended to be a professional camera, as the XT-30. Of course it could give you professional results, but is not the target group.

Their target is me, I guess - amateur / enthusiasts. My current cameras are a Panasonic GX9 and a Olympus E-M10 MK III. Thinking about leaving it because allt he signings that the m43 ship is sinking - or, at least, became a niche. Also, use my cameras both for movies and stills.

Have zero interest in full frame ones, because I like to travel light, and (with few exceptions, as the Sigma 45mm 2.8 L-mount and the Rokinon primes for Sony), the lenses are huge. Ok, I could play the equivalency game comparing to m43 (2 stops for DOF, climb two stops in ISO for exposure), but even then you could not bypass optics physics. Hence, the logical step (for me) is going APS-C.

Canon M-mount is even more dead tham m43 - the "new" M50 just proved that.

Nikon Z APS-C? Looks like that will not have too much options of lens in APS-C native (as in the SLR days - and probably 3rd parties will not put much effort to it).

Sony? Best AF in class, but the A6xxx ergo are atrocious, their IBIS is a POS, and the rolling shutter is terrible. Very few APS-C lenses, and looks like that they stopped the development for APS-C.

My only path could be Fuji. And compared to my current setups (or even my preferred choice now in the m43 world, which would be the E-M5 MK III), the XS-10 looks better in almost every regard (except, maybe, IBIS in movies - let's see how it would perform):

- For stills - a bit more resolution (26 vs 20 mp - albeit even 16mp was ok for me), 1 stop better for low light (VERY important for me), better C-AF (albeit I almost always use S-AF, and in this case the differences are minimal);

- For video - better specs all across the board (compared to my cameras  /  the E-M5 MK III - the GH5 and G9 have better specs, but are large for my needs), video AF functional (not perfect), ok EVF (looks very similar to the E-M10 MK III, which is ok for me),.

And looks like they solved all the the problems that I saw in the XT-30 - 30 min limit in 4k vs 10 min (is enough for me - 10 min was a deal breaker), IBIS, decent grip, easy switching between video / stills modes, Ergos looks ok.

Probably this will be the on that will make me switch systems - albeit the rumors says that a X-E4 is in the pipeline...

Most of the people here are not the target audience for this camera. I am.

20 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I think this one is not intended to be a professional camera, as the XT-30. Of course it could give you professional results, but is not the target group.

Their target is me, I guess - amateur / enthusiasts

By the sounds of it, this camera should be perfect for you and your needs.

I think this mated with the 18-55 'kit' lens and 99% of any users needs would be covered.

Unless you absolutely need weather sealing in which case a used XT3 can be had for even less money and perhaps even more sense?

Grip not quite enough? (XT3) Add a Smallrig for about 30 'your currency'.

Otherwise I think your analysis is about right; 4/3rds we have G9/GH5/Olympus, at APSC, Fuji and then it's the full frame options.

The S5 with the 20-60mm kit lens also makes a very compelling 'one and done' option and is both smaller and lighter than say a G9 or GH5 with 10-25mm lens and the sensor is something like 17x bigger 😉

There are two Fuji choices right now for $999 (B&H information):

X-T3 : for Video:  4K60p 10bit internal, no IBIS. (reduced from $1500)

X-S10: for video: 4K30p 8bit internal, with IBIS.

I would recommend the X-T3.

I am happy with the video stabilization in Final Cut Pro, very adjustable with less "wobble" than IBIS.