Need some help with wireless microphone system

aaa123jc

So I'm going to shoot a short film and I need to invest in some wireless lavalier microphone to work with the shotgun microphone. I may use it in my future interview works as well. 

Here are some of the systems I'm considering right now:

Rode Wireless GO, Saramonic Blink500, Comica BoomX-D

I have not used any of them before. What are you guys' experiences with them? Any other recommendations? Any tips?

Thank you. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Once you're getting into $250 or more, it might make sense to just spend extra and buy a used Sennheiser G3 or G4 kit. 

I have used some of these lower end systems and I've been pretty happy with them sound wise, but I've come to realize that they're not the best long term investment. I'm not a fan of the internal battery direction a lot of these companies are taking, as while it helps make things smaller it also means they have a set shelf life. Just my opinion though, as I get increasingly annoyed by my Azden Pro-XD holding less and less of a charge over time. Lol! 

12 hours ago, aaa123jc said:

Rode Wireless GO, Saramonic Blink500, Comica BoomX-D

That's all rubbish. 

The minimum standards for prosumer gear  / best deal sub US$1K are:

1. Sony UWP-D21 (or the older UWP-D11)
2. Sennheiser G4 (or the older G3, almost identical. The EW100 G4 was no improvement of note over the G3)
3. Deity Connect Wireless

Or if going secondhand:
4. Lectro 200 Series (or 400 Series with a bit of luck / searching)

Especially if you're doing narrative filmmaking (you mentioned wanting to use it on a short film), where you can get tough curve balls thrown at you (such as shooting into a car, difficult costumes, large sets, or who knows what) then you definitely don't want junk like a RodeLink (or even worse, a Rode GO). 

Put for personal vlogs? Or ultra low budget IVs where the subject is stationary and only a few feet from camera? Sure, those lower priced brands you listed might do the trick. 

Now, if you go for one of the four options I listed before, which is best?

Go for older secondhand Lectros if you can handle the old fashioned user interface (hello hexadecimal and miniature screw drivers!) and needing a BDS. (you might need also to get RF Explorer, if you get a really cheap Lectro 200 series. One which isn't UCR211 or UCR201)

If considering Sennheiser vs Sony, then the Sony is better designed/performing.

As for Deity, for the aspiring Mixer, it definitely is a better thought out design than Sony/Sennheiser (quite bag unfriendly!). But on the flip side it is also 2.4GHz, which could be a pro or a con, depending on the person getting it. 

First of all, thank you for all the replies.

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Once you're getting into $250 or more, it might make sense to just spend extra and buy a used Sennheiser G3 or G4 kit. 

I have used some of these lower end systems and I've been pretty happy with them sound wise, but I've come to realize that they're not the best long term investment. I'm not a fan of the internal battery direction a lot of these companies are taking, as while it helps make things smaller it also means they have a set shelf life. Just my opinion though, as I get increasingly annoyed by my Azden Pro-XD holding less and less of a charge over time. Lol! 

I never thought of this before. So basically the battery life is getting worse after prolong use? Then it's no go for me. Can't really buy things that only work for a while. 

5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Rode Wireless Go and Blink 500 are only good for short distance, for long distance or have view blocked (like body facing away from camera) a G3/G4 will be much better. So it depend on your distance

I will mainly shoot short distance. But is the signal stable enough? 

30 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

That's all rubbish. 

I will probably save up to get the Sennheiser G4 then (can't buy the Sony in my area). The deity looks very interesting as well. And for this project, I will just rent a G4 to try it out. 

54 minutes ago, aaa123jc said:

I never thought of this before. So basically the battery life is getting worse after prolong use? Then it's no go for me. Can't really buy things that only work for a while. 

Indeed. For a lot of people they'll never reach that point, because they're not using them that often but I do think it makes sense to pay a little more for something that'll last you for years and years. After 5 years of heavy use my Azden set, while pretty good, has started to go and they charge $50 each for the transmitter and receiver to replace the batteries. Those Sennheiser kits meanwhile will last until the components give out (so maybe forever?) and take regular batteries, which is great for long gigs. As someone that usually goes for more budget stuff, this is one of those times I wish I'd spent just a little more at the start. 

Right now I'm using Zoom H1 recorders with cheap Purple Panda lavs until I have more work (Eff you COVID!) and can get a G3 or G4 set. It's just easier and less nerve racking than using my Azden at this point. 

13 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The TV series I am being assistant director, are using multiple G3s and we have huge issues with interference.

I have stopped using them for almost a decade now, Sony's are the bare minimum for me, and even those I am hearing they have more issues lately.

What country? Could it be a frequency issue? 

1 minute ago, Kisaha said:

Greece. G3/G4 technology is just too, 00's..Sony are true diversity for an unbelievably cheap price, and true diversity is what the big boys do.

Strange, I've used them a lot on other gigs and have had very few problems but I'm in the US, so I didn't know if maybe you were using ones that use a busy / crowded frequency in your country. 

2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Greece. G3/G4 technology is just too, 00's..Sony are true diversity for an unbelievably cheap price, and true diversity is what the big boys do.

Very popular here are the Wisycom solutions. A few bigger production companies are using them, definitely a couple of tiers up of what we are discussing here, but cheaper than other companies and they usually have some sort of offer going on.

5 hours ago, aaa123jc said:

It is normal for battery life to degrade over the years. 
Of course if the batteries are rechargeable AA then no problem!
But if they're a built in internal battery, you've got a big problem. 

5 hours ago, aaa123jc said:

I will probably save up to get the Sennheiser G4 then (can't buy the Sony in my area). The deity looks very interesting as well. And for this project, I will just rent a G4 to try it out. 

Where are you that there is no Sony UWP-D21 locally??

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Heh, amusingly my Lectro SRa don't have true diversity (antenna diversity but not tuner diversity), yet the Sonys do!

2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Strange, I've used them a lot on other gigs and have had very few problems but I'm in the US,

Lots and lots of US mixers do complain about G4/G4. Perhaps you're not pushing it hard, only simple sit down IVs? Never used in a metro region?

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Very popular here are the Wisycom solutions. A few bigger production companies are using them, definitely a couple of tiers up of what we are discussing here, but cheaper than other companies and they usually have some sort of offer going on.

If a gun got pointed at my head and I had to choose a new bag wireless system tomorrow I'd go with Wisycom. 
But I don't need to do that right now, plus also the wireless game at the pro level is changing so fast I think. Wisycom is only in the lead "for now", Going to keep an eye on what Shure / Audio Ltd / Lectro / etc do. (a pity about the DCR822, indicates it might be a while until we get a Superslot Quad RX from Lectro)

53 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Lots and lots of US mixers do complain about G4/G4. Perhaps you're not pushing it hard, only simple sit down IVs? Never used in a metro region?

I'm in Vermont, so even our "metro regions" are pretty small. Our biggest city has less than 50,000 people! I live in a town of under 3,000!🤣

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The TV series I am being assistant director, are using multiple G3s and we have huge issues with interference.

I have stopped using them for almost a decade now, Sony's are the bare minimum for me, and even those I am hearing they have more issues lately.

The only time I get interference is if I don't do a channel scan.  I'm really corporate'y with what I'm using mine for.  Rarely stretch the distance on them.  When I do they seems to go for about 100 yards or so?

I don't have super extensive experience with wireless systems. I've used Sennheiser G3's and Sony UWP's on student films, and they've always been perfectly reliable. The most annoying part is that half of film students don't know that you have to gain stage the transmitter...

Earlier this year I bought a Deity Connect system, couldn't transmit a signal 2 feet and I RMA'd it as defective. Real shame as they get great reviews and are a great price. What I can say is their build quality, design, and included accessories are phenomenal. I very nearly just bought another set, but my project needs changed and I got a pair of Rode Wireless Go's instead.

I've been quite happy with the Go's for the specific use case being in a single studio room. For this project, having 0 wires is very beneficial--we're clipping the transmitters to people and using the builtin mics--so they are great in that sense. If your use case is short range and you aren't worried about missing the locking connector, you can save a lot of money with them. I will say I wouldn't trust them for "normal" films as the non-locking connector is a non-starter no matter the battery life and range. Though I think they will still be useful as plant mics, they are absolutely tiny!