The Panasonic DC-BGH1 camera soon to be announced

Trankilstef

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

As this topic seems to be more about IBIS, my take on it below.

Toggle on and off as/if required via a function button. Job done.

Thats a solution.. but frankly the discussion is more about not feeling disappointed if IBIS isn't included, rather than a call not to include it.  

38 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Thats a solution.. but frankly the discussion is more about not feeling disappointed if IBIS isn't included, rather than a call not to include it.  

100%. If it is for "free", or everything else equal, I would like to have it, when we are talking about cine cameras that noone has it, then I do not care!

Regardless of all the advantages the GH5s has over the GH5, because of the lack of IBIS, low MP count and a few other factors, it is, at best, a very limited audience camera, since it isn't a hybrid. So, in many ways the number of GH5s cameras Panasonic sells, would have been a small proportion of that of the GH5.

The same thing appears to be happening with the new Panasonic DC-BGH1. It seems, too, to be targetted at a very small audience, regardless of its shooting capabilities. I am not sure how that could be a good thing. Unless this is meant to replace many small budget cameras that shoot RAW or ProRes, and have M43 sensors like the ZCam, Blackmagic Pocket 4k etc. But this seems not too offer much in terms of specs (if at all  for many specs), over those cameras. Unless it's a purely broadcast camera, wanted for youtubers(?) who want a stationary camera with superb battery life (?), since this won't be for Vloggers who have any kind of movement won't have great autofocus. Maybe the Indie Film Market? Where well priced cinema cameras could have more options, since some of the Chinese companies such as Kinefinity and even ZCam seem not to have as great distribution or after sales, and I am a little sceptical about Chonese brands, except perhaps a few like Apurture, especially if their callers cost anything over $999-1999. Not being able to get decent after sales can be a huge issue. I am guessing Sony is offering the GH5s sensor at a huge discount since their initial production was extremely slow but their production capacity and unused sensor lying around must be huge. Sony was, perhaps, also one of the causes of the slowing growth of the M43 cameras (slowing down sensor development for non Sony sensor sizes, except non ILC markets such as smartphones, industrial use etc?). 

On 10/8/2020 at 11:03 AM, Kisaha said:

It is known..!!

It is a bit like people calling you Italian...

How is life in Turkey going for you? 😉

On 10/11/2020 at 6:26 AM, Amazeballs said:

I really dont get this camera. Limited to 4k60, no IBIS, no NDs.. and 2000$ really? Zcam for 1500 has 4k160fps albeit it is heavier and has somewhat worse AF but come on! 

Many people would think paying a few extra hundred dollars for Panasonic's brand name and track record is worth it over getting a Z Cam / BMD. 

33 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

Panasonic-Lumix-DC-BGH1-MFT-camera-3.jpg

Even has Genlock! That's surprising, especially at this price point (the cheapest ever? Perhaps). 

But it kinda makes for their target audience of semi pro streamers. 

26 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

It is a bit like people calling you Italian...

Ehhhhh No....

We in Italy do not call ourselves by a nickname ...
In Italy it is a crime ... as more or less in the rest of Europe ...😅

Luckily you said so ... I would never have expressed myself calling you by a bird name ...

This could have been interesting but:

1. Too expensive. It's around the same price as the GH5S, yet has no screen, no evf, no battery and - presumably - no strap or charger. So WTF, Panasonic - should be cheaper, if anything?

2. The reason we always get for the lack of internal NDs in hybrid cameras is a lack of space. No NDs in this - why? 

58 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

This could have been interesting but:

1. Too expensive. It's around the same price as the GH5S, yet has no screen, no evf, no battery and - presumably - no strap or charger. So WTF, Panasonic - should be cheaper, if anything?

2. The reason we always get for the lack of internal NDs in hybrid cameras is a lack of space. No NDs in this - why? 

If it was priced around the same amount as the Pocket 4K; it would make for a good 3rd camera, replacing my GH4r.  However I agree, if you're gonna make this a proper Video camera, then internal NDs is a must.  Maybe useful for some studios, but that would depend on the external codec.

15 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

If it was priced around the same amount as the Pocket 4K; it would make for a good 3rd camera, replacing my GH4r.  However I agree, if you're gonna make this a proper Video camera, then internal NDs is a must.  Maybe useful for some studios, but that would depend on the external codec.

Even more flabbergasted - I mistakenly looked at the price of the S5 to compare. This new one is considerably *more* expensive than the GH5S.

Price is what people will pay for it.

Very niche but it MIGHT be a truly wonderful drone camera (in the right hands, IE not mine) or for setting up portable/temporary security system with multiple cameras.

Most will be used where they do not need an ND filter I think.

I am kind of bemused why they did not use the regular GH5 sensor instead in a modular camera though I guess this one is just better for the specs they wanted in it.

Or maybe they over purchased on GH5s sensors and this will get a few more sold than otherwise?

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Many people would think paying a few extra hundred dollars for Panasonic's brand name and track record is worth it over getting a Z Cam / BMD.

Even has Genlock! That's surprising, especially at this price point (the cheapest ever? Perhaps).

Same price for Z Cam going sync, however, I feel myself tempted to buy a couple of them only because of that : ) WTH This is a dream of an offer, best bang for the buck for now IMHO :- )

Yeah this is mostly meant for live multicamera and studio set ups. It's actually quite compelling for that use. Very few people here though will need / want this. If I was still doing live streaming I'd consider getting a couple. Still, it makes a lot more sense than the original cine camera rumors lead me to believe, though I'm not sure how popular this will end up being.