The Panasonic DC-BGH1 camera soon to be announced

Trankilstef

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Fair enough. Except perhaps the BMP4k seems more like what you were looking for. If its screen could rotate a little, it would be near perfect. 

Yep, you're so right and why the P4K is my A camera to the GH5s B camera.  However the GH5s came first and is still a very useful 2nd camera.  Plenty value the GH5s even over the GH5.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

Ironically there are many like myself who were buying hybrids not because we needed to take photos, but because we wanted a small, cheap video camera that had interchangeable lenses and a good quality image.  In this, the GH5s succeeds and why I value it.  I think some were comparing the GH5s to a hybrid... and judged its success accordingly.  It was always more a niche item that catered to some users who were shooting only video.

Yeah, and for those who put videography first and only needed very casual stills uses out of their hybrid (some party shots on holiday, perhaps portraits of a friend as a favor, etc) then the Panasonic GH5S is perfectly capable! 10 megapixels is heaps for casual sharing on social media. Heck, heaps of major ad campaigns have even been done in the past with cameras that are around the 12 megapixel mark!

5 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

The GH5s came out like 8-9 months before the Pocket 4k. And that's not including any shipping delays or waiting lists etc. I bet there are many who shot for over a year with the GH5s before they could get their hands on the P4k.

Yup, once again Panasonic was being a leader!

7 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

IBIS is a godsend if you're filming sports, documentary, etc. When I first started out I used big S-VHS and VHS cameras; stabilization was never an issue because of the weight and the cameras were shoulder cams. As cameras got smaller, stabilization became more and more of an issue for my kind of work. I can't just stand still, I have to constantly be on the move. When you're rushing to make sure you get a good shot of the action, you NEED good IBIS otherwise your shot will look awful. 

If everything you do is on a tripod, gimbal or monopod then that's different, obviously. But if you're doing real run and gun, stripped down handheld video then IBIS is huge. I'd much rather have it than not. 

Exactly, I always laugh at people who say IBIS is useless or real cameramen don't need IBIS. The reality is its great when its needed and the best part is it can be turned off when its not needed. When I am shooting real estate videos with wide angle lenses on a gimbal the last thing you want is IBIS on. It is much better to stabilize in post than to try to stabilize wobbly IBIS footage (i.e. impossible).

On the other hand when I am in the middle of a big event and need to hand hold some b roll footage  with a tiny GH5 then for me at least the footage would be unusable without IBIS. Even with IBIS, proper technique, a cage, top handle, and mic, my GH5 is simply not heavy enough to get rid of my shakiness.  The C200 is a different story, I love hand holding it with the cage, top monitor, top handle, V mount battery,  Canon battery, Canon grip and I added a second grip to the left side.  After I tuck that battery under my arm I feel like I can shoot anything handheld.

I think IBIS and AF are both very overrated for video but both are great tools in scenarios where they work well. I always like having more options (as long as I can also turn them off) then not having an option that would make my life easier in a certain scenario.

I agree IBIS and AF are very useful and for some almost essential to do their job well.  But, it can also be a crutch for lazy Videographers to rely on when there are alternatives.  I was guilty with the GH5 of abandoning my Monopod.  When I brought it back with the P4K, I found I was getting better shots, and my back was a lot better for it too.

27 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

I agree IBIS and AF are very useful and for some almost essential to do their job well.  But, it can also be a crutch for lazy Videographers to rely on when there are alternatives.  I was guilty with the GH5 of abandoning my Monopod.  When I brought it back with the P4K, I found I was getting better shots, and my back was a lot better for it too.

Sounds like you aren't one of the people that needs IBIS, and as much as I love it for what I do, it's always better to add mass or add a rig (shoulder reg, monopod, tripod, etc) than to use OIS or IBIS.

I use a monopod when I shoot sports, but I also need IBIS as I'm shooting at 300mm+ equivalent, so it's the difference between usable and not.  I'd also like to use a monopod or even a small rig for my travel stuff, but venues have all kinds of crazy rules about such things and I've had equipment confiscated before (long story) due to various restrictions, so hand-held is a must.

6 minutes ago, kye said:

but venues have all kinds of crazy rules about such things and I've had equipment confiscated before (long story) due to various restrictions, so hand-held is a must.

Don't have too many venues imposing those sort of restrictions or even confiscating my stuff... but my GH5 is on standby when IBIS becomes essential.  

9 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

Don't have too many venues imposing those sort of restrictions or even confiscating my stuff... but my GH5 is on standby when IBIS becomes essential.  

Depends where you go..  my shooting locations (like Kinkaku-jiare often decorated with signs like this:

Japan_4_12.1.thumb.jpg.f970e6014001535f3a26d173cf451b5e.jpg

which restrict getting shots like this:

Japan_3_77.1.thumb.jpg.e23dead7cae8b2e92445ae819faf7249.jpg

while shooting is situations like this:

japan_3_76.1.thumb.jpg.f8969ee1daa0b8b1347a07a1717faac7.jpg

I lost a gorillapod at the Vatican because they don't allow tripods (despite it being maybe 8" tall!), and although they offered to put it in a locker for me, our tour group was going in one entry and out the other where the tour bus was meeting us, so there wouldn't have been time to go back for it afterwards, and the bus had already left when we got to security, so that was game over.

Perhaps the biggest challenge is that you can never tell what is or is not going to be accepted in any given venue.  I visited a temple in Bangkok and security flagged us for further inspection (either our bags or for not having modest enough clothing) which confused us as we thought we were fine and then the people doing the further inspection flagged us through without even looking at us.  
Their restrictions on what camera equipment could be used?  8mm film cameras were fine, but 16mm film cameras required permission.  Seriously.  This was in 2018.  I wish I'd taken a photo of it.

With rules as vague / useless as that, being applied without any consistency whatsoever, my preferred strategy is to not go anywhere near wherever the line might be and so that's why I shoot handheld with a GH5 / Rode VideoMic Pro and a wrist-strap and that's it.  Even if something is allowed, if one over-zealous worker decides you're a professional or somehow taking advantage of their rules / venue / cultural heritage / religious sacred site then someone higher up isn't going to overturn that judgement in a hurry, or without a huge fuss, so I just steer clear of the whole situation.

It really depends where you go and how you shoot.  I've lost count of how many times a vlogger has been kicked out of a public park while filming right next to parents taking photos of their kids with their phones because security thought their camera was "too professional looking", or street photographers being hassled by private security when taking photos in public which is perfectly legal.  Even things like a one of the YouTubers I watch who makes music videos was on a shoot in a warehouse in LA that almost got shut down because you need permits to shoot anything there even on private property behind closed doors!

2 hours ago, kye said:

Even things like a one of the YouTubers I watch who makes music videos was on a shoot in a warehouse in LA that almost got shut down because you need permits to shoot anything there even on private property behind closed doors!

It is crazy that people live in LA and shoot there with how California is going downhill and all the extra regulations around filming. 

Of course heaps of people want to go to LA as it is Hollywood. But I expect it won't hold that dominant position forever, eventually people will give up on it if LA/Cali keeps on making life too difficult and somewhere else will become the new Mecca to go to. 

Atlanta Georgia perhaps? Who knows. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is crazy that people live in LA and shoot there with how California is going downhill and all the extra regulations around filming. 

Of course heaps of people want to go to LA as it is Hollywood. But I expect it won't hold that dominant position forever, eventually people will give up on it if LA/Cali keeps on making life too difficult and somewhere else will become the new Mecca to go to. 

Atlanta Georgia perhaps? Who knows. 

I know a half dozen people who've relocated to Atlanta from NYC and LA in the last two years. Housing is more affordable and there's a lot of work down there on medium to big productions. 

2000$??

Not good...very niche to do significant sales. It covers SOME needs for SOME people, which is not MANY needs for MANY people..

Don't the Z cameras offer some similar network connections anyway? Or you can do similar things with some hardware?

Ok, next..