The Panasonic DC-BGH1 camera soon to be announced

Trankilstef

I don't seem to finid any topic on this camera on this forum? 
I find it quite interesting as it seems to be a modular video camera like the Z-cam form factor, with a micro 4/3 sensor, and all the bells and whistles Panasonic usually give us in their cameras.
More info on the leaked specs : https://www.43rumors.com/more-leaked-panasonic-dc-bgh1-cine-mft-camcorder-specs/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Actually it appears to be a broadcast camera, with a few filmmaking skills (new VLog L with 1 stop higher dynamic range) thrown in.

Also missing IBIS (and the same low res sensor of the GH5s, so it's not a hybrid) ? I am guessing they're going after the Top Gear crowd that caused the blunder of the GH5s in the first place? 

12 hours ago, sanveer said:

Also missing IBIS? I am guessing they're going after the Top Gear crowd that caused the blunder of the GH5s in the first place? 

Don't think it was a blunder, the GH5S made sense, Panasonic got to reuse the GH5 body design (saving R&D) while trying out a new sensor (that couldn't handle IBIS in that version) which got to cater to even more new customers. (and gets to forever shut up those "but you got to use FF for lowlight!" from the babbling FF fanboys)

I've also come to the conclusion that IBIS is less important for me than I thought. Tripods, sliders and dollys looks better, and I usually have the opportunity to use them.

I've been eyeing the Z-Cam's for quite a while, but given the choice I would rather pick up a new Panasonic if they provide similar specs because of the reliability Panasonic has shown. The GH5s sensor is good enough for me anyway, but I'm curious to see the final specs. 

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

I use my GH5s more than the GH5.  IBIS is one of those tools that can be overrated in its importance.  I found it made me lazy with my shots as I relied too much on it.  Its no longer a deal breaker for me in choosing a camera.

Same with me, went from GH5 to Zcam, no IBIS, I felt my work looked better without. IBIS is like that little thing you think you need when you first get it but really you don't.

Wow, no love for IBIS today?

I couldn't go back to a non-IBIS camera. I shoot lots of B roll of people who've never been on camera before and will be gone away in a minute, doing things. IBIS means I can shoot handheld and get three different steady shots from different angles while directing the person(s) in the same amount of time it would take me to get one shot on a tripod.

I don't use it as a substitute for a dolly, slider or gimbal. I still remember my horror at the shaky jello of my first handheld shots on the 5D Mk 2!

3 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Wow, no love for IBIS today?

I couldn't go back to a non-IBIS camera. I shoot lots of B roll of people who've never been on camera before and will be gone away in a minute, doing things. IBIS means I can shoot handheld and get three different steady shots from different angles while directing the person(s) in the same amount of time it would take me to get one shot on a tripod.

I don't use it as a substitute for a dolly, slider or gimbal. I still remember my horror at the shaky jello of my first handheld shots on the 5D Mk 2!

IBIS is one of those things that gets lots of hype, which means that many people think it's great and then they get past the hype and think it's worthless.

I think IBIS is a thing that some people really do need, and other people think they need but haven't really explored all the options and when they realise they didn't need it then assume no-one else does either.

I've shot with and without IBIS on the same lenses at the same time (doing camera comparisons) and I also regularly shoot in situations where the IBIS gives normal hand-held looking motion because it's turning footage that would be completely unusable into footage with some motion in it.

IBIS is like everything else in film-making, and in life more generally.  It's neither good, nor evil, but somewhere in between, and is context dependent.  Anyone making sweeping generalisations just doesn't understand the subject well enough to realise that everything has pros and cons.

IBIS and Cinematic Footsge have almost nothing to do with each other. The whackos at top gear used a camera with IBIS and then used it for shots in a car where they probably did terrain that was probably inundated with stones and pebbles and the microjitters sent the camera into a tizzy. I am guessing even OIS lenses must have produced some sort of warped wobble (though way less prominent than IBIS), and the footage needed some stabilization in post, regardless.

IMHO all IBIS should have locking mechanisms for the stabilization and the amount of stabilization needs more precise control.

In many situations like handholding a shot, especially where you need a tripod equivalent (not all those shots that require a stabilizer for running, or doing pans and tilts etc), IBIS is way better than actually setting up a tripod shot. Tripod shots look super boring. Handheld shorts have a certain cinematic feel, because they feel a lot more engaging and realistic. Tilts and pans and other movements on trolleys and rigs obviously have another level of cinematic feel. But they require quite a lot of time for bei nbf setup. Hybrid cameras have been designed with quick turnaround and more vertalitiy in mind. Reigging is always time consuming. 

Plus, in all manner of photography (as opposed to videography), IBIS ensures way sharper photos at almost all frame rates, except perhaps 1/125 and higher. For the longest, Olymous cameras offered the equivalent of Google Pixel's Night Shot, merely by letting users push shutter speeds as low as 2-3 seconds (some people claim even longer) that would never be possible for anything that lacked IBIS. 

IBIS also compensates for lighter cameras. The S5 is lighter and I am guessing that is the biggest reason for the much less effective IBIS on it.

@IronFilmthe issue with GH5s is that it is purely a video camera, lacking both IBIS AND  a higher MP count, so never succeeded as a hybrid. It obviously has other advantages like better low light, higher dynamic range and faster readout. 

2 hours ago, sanveer said:

@IronFilmthe issue with GH5s is that it is purely a video camera, lacking both IBIS AND  a higher MP count, so never succeeded as a hybrid. It obviously has other advantages like better low light, higher dynamic range and faster readout. 

Ironically there are many like myself who were buying hybrids not because we needed to take photos, but because we wanted a small, cheap video camera that had interchangeable lenses and a good quality image.  In this, the GH5s succeeds and why I value it.  I think some were comparing the GH5s to a hybrid... and judged its success accordingly.  It was always more a niche item that catered to some users who were shooting only video.

20 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Ironically there are many like myself who were buying hybrids not because we needed to take photos, but because we wanted a small, cheap video camera that had interchangeable lenses and a good quality image.  In this, the GH5s succeeds and why I value it.  I think some were comparing the GH5s to a hybrid... and judged its success accordingly.  It was always more a niche item that catered to some users who were shooting only video.

Fair enough. Except perhaps the BMP4k seems more like what you were looking for. If its screen could rotate a little, it would be near perfect. 

24 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Except perhaps the BMP4k seems more like what you were looking for.

The GH5s came out like 8-9 months before the Pocket 4k. And that's not including any shipping delays or waiting lists etc. I bet there are many who shot for over a year with the GH5s before they could get their hands on the P4k.

IBIS is a godsend if you're filming sports, documentary, etc. When I first started out I used big S-VHS and VHS cameras; stabilization was never an issue because of the weight and the cameras were shoulder cams. As cameras got smaller, stabilization became more and more of an issue for my kind of work. I can't just stand still, I have to constantly be on the move. When you're rushing to make sure you get a good shot of the action, you NEED good IBIS otherwise your shot will look awful. 

If everything you do is on a tripod, gimbal or monopod then that's different, obviously. But if you're doing real run and gun, stripped down handheld video then IBIS is huge. I'd much rather have it than not.