Test footage of Sony A7SIII early morning waterfall, testing S-Log3 and Leeming LUT

Hangs4Fun

2 minutes ago, LightShooter said:

Much better blacks now. What about the slider shots?

funny you ask, was already working on it and put that 1 minute clip on vimeo.  Again, I am JUST trying to arrive at a neutral starting point that is ready to grade in any direction (camera match, creative grade, etc), so this is not what I would consider graded.  Let's just call it a "corrected, straight out of camera" 😉

https://vimeo.com/user122394328/review/464521609/7b8f73ae37

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/3/2020 at 4:59 PM, Hangs4Fun said:

funny you ask, was already working on it and put that 1 minute clip on vimeo.  Again, I am JUST trying to arrive at a neutral starting point that is ready to grade in any direction (camera match, creative grade, etc), so this is not what I would consider graded.  Let's just call it a "corrected, straight out of camera" 😉

https://vimeo.com/user122394328/review/464521609/7b8f73ae37

I watched your first grade of the footage and I thought there might be something wrong with my monitor, as I simply couldn't see how someone might say it looked good. The slider work was excellent though. Then, I saw this footage and I find it looks much better.

9 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I watched your first grade of the footage and I thought there might be something wrong with my monitor, as I simply couldn't see how someone might say it looked good. The slider work was excellent though. Then, I saw this footage and I find it looks much better.

I gotta stop using my cell phone and use my studio setup more, when publishing stuff... smh.  I just had Premiere publish it straight after the export, since I was rushing out the door.  Then I checked it quick on the road with my phone, and it looked fine.  It wasn't until someone mentioned the blacks and the AUTO option, and I checked it as soon as I was back in studio and was about horrified, lol.  I've never used AUTO before and didn't know what damage it could do, but I also didn't want to do my own interpretive grade.

I think if you naturally focus on the brighter area's there was quite a bit of white and highlight detail, maybe they were also on cell phones.  No clue, I'm just glad we caught it.  I'm still looking for the most neutral corrective grade beyond the Leeming corrective (since just doing that produces a dark image).  Any suggestions?  Something repeatable that most would agree is as neutral and plain of a starting point as possible.  

19 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Hey John, here is the updated video with the 5 different video settings in camera (as it should have been the first time, lol)  

https://vimeo.com/464041748

1 hour ago, Hangs4Fun said:

Hey John, here is the updated video with the 5 different video settings in camera (as it should have been the first time, lol)  

It looks great! I like the colors. The A7s3 is too much for me and my needs. What are you going to do with it? Are you going to put this video on your website, maybe as a video background of sorts? Where was that taken? It looks like there are some good trails and photo/video opportunities.

7 hours ago, John Matthews said:

It looks great! I like the colors. The A7s3 is too much for me and my needs. What are you going to do with it? Are you going to put this video on your website, maybe as a video background of sorts? Where was that taken? It looks like there are some good trails and photo/video opportunities.

Thank you.  Right now this is just testing to dial in my workflow.  I will be reshooting this with my tripod repaired so i can get the jib/pan/tilt movements.  As well as add 16bit RAW, All-I 4K/120, and HD/240 once my FAst comes in later this week.

This camera will be doing 2 jobs, my passion shoots which is solo wilderness backpacking, the more remote, the better.  Also to shoot commercials, corporate, interviews, and hopefully a documentary or two (years away from that, but scripting now and getting to where I can finance and produce them).

This spot is called Mystery Falls and there are great spots to hammock, shear cliffs, and lots of other interesting subjects.  I have shot 2 videos at this location a couple years ago (on personal YT channel, same name as my username here. 

Last couple of years I've been digging Idaho Wilderness from Frank Church to White Knob, mostly in the 4.3 million acre Salmon-Challis National Forest, which has over 2 million designated as wilderness.

• Super Members
13 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Why i m not surprised when it comes to Sony they always have this kind of hidden agent everywhere, there was a korean guy keep posting sony stuff on the c70 group the other day.  Too many Sony undercover nowadays.

I'm sure there is a perfectly innocent explanation as to why virtually the entire posting history of one account is made up of replies and likes to the posts of the other account.

I look forward to the clarification.

• Administrators

Forum rules:

2. Please do not promote your own products without OK-ing this with me first, especially ones which compete with my own at EOSHD. This includes camera guides, colour profiles, LUTs and alternative blogs or forums. If an account is setup for the main purposes of selling LUTs for example, this is not OK and you must clear this with me first.

5. Please do not regularly bump your own topics

8. Any account set up for product advertising purposes or spam will be deleted instantly. This can include representatives from camera or accessories companies, who use the forum to promote a product in an obviously biased way without acknowledging the site owner or contributing beyond the purposes of promotion. Carefully disguising this as helping users on a technical level will not pass muster!

9. Fake users are not allowed on the forum, bots are pre-moderated. All spam accounts will be deleted.

So far 2,5,8 and 9 are smashed to bits.

So yes... An explanation would be good.

No products or services to sell.  I only mentioned Leeming LUTs because I thought they were considered neutral corrective LUTs. I don't care what LUTs people use, but do want to communicate what I have chosen to start with.  I shared a Vimeo link because its better quality than YouTube and no commercials.  

I just want to share what I could on a camera I've been waiting a long time for and learn and work through the new options. 

Its hard starting out on these bigger forums and getting any feedback.  If you look back over my posts, I think you will see how much I've shared what ever I could find and put a lot of time into it.

Right now I'm trying to work through my new A7S3 so I can get the most out of it.  Im new to 10bit and RAW, so was hoping to get these new workflows dialed in.   Along the way I was planning to share what I learned.

Sony agent? Now that made me chuckle.  I do have a Sony PRO Support account and try to get info from them to share here, and have.  Even taking questions from here and getting accurate answers from Support.  I do have mostly Sony gear,  kind of stuck now, too much glass and time with the system.  

In the past I just made hammocking videos and published to my tiny YT channel, named after my trailname Hang4Fun)..  But this year I am starting to do paid shoots.  Been trying to learn the ropes and share as I go. 

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Ah don't need the explanation after all.

Better remember to log out of your shill account before posting with your main account next time @Hangs4Fun

OK. This was problem I was initially having. I was going through this thread seeing an "Outstanding" comment by Lightshooter. I honestly thought there was something wrong with my monitor! In fact, Hangs4fun was self promoting... no other explanation. Sucks to get caught with your d**k hanging out. I do think he isn't a Sony self-promotion shill though... just an error in moral judgement. Lesson learned? Best to just be yourself and have honest communication... on the internet, everyone thinks you're lying anyway; tell the truth- it will be easier to remember and you can feel better about yourself.

3 hours ago, Hangs4Fun said:

No products or services to sell.  I only mentioned Leeming LUTs because I thought they were considered neutral corrective LUTs. I don't care what LUTs people use, but do want to communicate what I have chosen to start with.  I shared a Vimeo link because its better quality than YouTube and no commercials.  

I just want to share what I could on a camera I've been waiting a long time for and learn and work through the new options. 

Its hard starting out on these bigger forums and getting any feedback.  If you look back over my posts, I think you will see how much I've shared what ever I could find and put a lot of time into it.

Right now I'm trying to work through my new A7S3 so I can get the most out of it.  Im new to 10bit and RAW, so was hoping to get these new workflows dialed in.   Along the way I was planning to share what I learned.

Sony agent? Now that made me chuckle.  I do have a Sony PRO Support account and try to get info from them to share here, and have.  Even taking questions from here and getting accurate answers from Support.  I do have mostly Sony gear,  kind of stuck now, too much glass and time with the system.  

In the past I just made hammocking videos and published to my tiny YT channel, named after my trailname Hang4Fun)..  But this year I am starting to do paid shoots.  Been trying to learn the ropes and share as I go. 

So breaking forum rule is ok without remorse at all?  Doesnt seem fair to us who try to follow the rule?

• Super Members
4 hours ago, Hangs4Fun said:

Its hard starting out on these bigger forums and getting any feedback.  

OK, I'll give you some feedback then.

You created an account which was not only being used to boost the posts of your main one but was actually interacting with those posts as though it was a real person.

That wasn't done accidentally or unconsciously was it?

You were then caught red handed and would no doubt have just continued with this deception if you hadn't been.

Your response to this deliberate shithousery being exposed was a six paragraph post in which the word "sorry" didn't only not appear but it wasn't even implied.

That complete lack of contrition is as bad as the initial deception.