Z6 II and Z7 II mirrorless cameras

Danyyyel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
33 minutes ago, David Bowgett said:

Wait, the S1/S1H/S5 sensor is the same as the Z6's? If that's true, then why are Panasonic's cameras still limited to DFD for auto-focus? Shouldn't they have access to PDAF if it's using the same sensor as the Z6?

Nikon and Sony PDAF is all about masking on pixels. Sensors can be same but with different masking. 

I will be a little disappointed if it is only a 1.7 crop 60 fps 4k. The reason is more about the name, if it was an S update as first stated, yes no problem as a  mid life update. But if it is a 2.0 version and the counter saying the next chapter, they have raised the expectation a lot if it is only that. They are doing a lot of things that should have already been there from the start like dual card slot and true battery grip. The most criticism they got where from the AF (photo) which got much much better with new firmware, dual card slot, the battery grip and shutter blanking in the viewfinder on high speed shooting.

From the list of rumored update, I think with dual expeed processor it will address all the issues that where address from the photo side. If the AF lets say beat the Sony and Canon with the doubling of computational power. My guess is that they will get very good reviews and sale from a lot of Nikon photographers who did not do the switch. As for video, I would be a little bit disappointed for a version 2 update. 10 bit internal would alleviate some of the disappointed , let's see in 3 days. Perhaps if we lobby them afterward, they might implement time limited FF 60p or even 4k. I personally need those frame rates only for slowmotion. A 1-2 minutes burst would be more than enough.

14 hours ago, gethin said:

someone in the nikonrumors comments said the sensor can only do 40hz in full frame.  Not sure if this is true but if so, rules out 4k 60 FF.  I agree, they shouldn't give it the ii moniker if its a minor update. Urgh! 

After 2 years, they should have asked for a faster one. They have devised a system to read 4k and not 6k from the full sensor for the RAW video, they should have done the same for the the 60 fps. In fact I wouldn't have mind even a 3k 120 fps. The 1080p 120 fps is surprisingly good, at 3k it would inter-cut very well with the 4k mode.

35 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

After 2 years, they should have asked for a faster one. They have devised a system to read 4k and not 6k from the full sensor for the RAW video, they should have done the same for the the 60 fps. In fact I wouldn't have mind even a 3k 120 fps. The 1080p 120 fps is surprisingly good, at 3k it would inter-cut very well with the 4k mode.

The 1080p 120 is so good I'd be happy with that if they gave me it in 10-bit log.

15 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

The 1080p 120 is so good I'd be happy with that if they gave me it in 10-bit log.

Yep it is so good, even a 3k version of that would be good enough for me. I hope they get creative. Already from leaked pictures there is no full articulating screen. which is a pita but at least it was not leaked.

1 hour ago, Sharathc47 said:

DISAPPOINTING

For the price (that will soon drop), you get a very very decent hybrid, that by now has several advantages at the price point.
But it sure as hell leaves room for a more videocentric model from Nikon. Will they go there?

Also, mark I Z6 & Z7 might become even more of a bargain now.

That launch video does look absolutely horrible. I did not know it was the same sensor as the S1H, as the DR looks quite poor in this video. I have a s5 on preorder, as I think it will suit my needs fine (mainly ibis for quick shoots). But the RED komodo man oh man does that camera rise the bar for all camera companies. I was really skeptical in the beginning, and the first video's looked very poorly. But the stuff that has been released recently is drop dead gorgeous. Only downside is I have to sell a kidney to get one. 

4 hours ago, Sharathc47 said:

No N-log internal

No 10bit internal 

No 6k raw (full sensor readout)

Paid raw update that too line skipped 4k

DISAPPOINTING😔

I don't think they have taken any feedback from video users.

Um yeah. I'm now going to sell all my Nikon gear.

Colossally disappointing, especially have the RAW remain a paid upgrade and no 10-bit. Hell they couldn't even remove the goddamn 30 minute time limit.  The fact this camera has NO VIDEO IMPROVMENT AT LAUNCH is tone deaf idiocy. 

Hell the 4K 60p being added later as a firmware upgrade and not being able to record it externally just feels like a final kick in the teeth.

That's the only positive thing I saw today, I cannot even express my disappointment. Blackmagic Raw is coming to the z62 and z72.

For both models, 10-bit output to an external recorder with N-Log is possible as well as the capture of new HDR (HLG) video and output in 12-bit ProRes RAW with the optional upgrade. For upgrade customers, additional support will also be included for Blackmagic RAW when using the Blackmagic Design Video Assist 12G HDR recorder. This upgrade will also be provided for existing customers who have already purchased a ProRes RAW upgrade for the Nikon Z 6 or Z 77.

I only have one question...and could not find the answer.

This 4K 60p 1.5x crop firmware update that is coming in Feb 2021, is it 10 or 8 bit internal?

It’s the same sensor as my S5 but that already does the above with 10 bit.

If it’s 8 bit, that might just be enough to swing my 2nd and 3rd camera bodies back in favour of more S5’s...

PS: I don’t care about log and will be shooting some profile as I always do.

yep i was saying this was nikon's last attempt to keep me. HAving said that I'm editing some footage at the mo, and it's lovely, and very easy to work with, but there is too much that is amateurish with these cameras.  If they'd given me full frame 60p I might even have hung around in 8bit. But no 10 bit internal? get futtocky fucked. 

And "planned for february": weasels. THe promised external raw was a mess. Nope, bugger 'em

I don't know what's going on here but it's not like they have a cinema line to protect...

Panasonic could have that excuse, but don't use it and just have the somewhat iffy AF issue.

Canon are full of controversy.

Sony have been criticised by only having 12mp for the A7S3 but it looks like when the A74 arrives, now that Sony have improved ergos, menus and colour, they are just going to walk over the whole lot.

And I am no Sony fan but the electronics giant is stomping on the more established camera companies.

It's like they all want to commit financial suicide and close their doors.

Or are we some tiny minority that sees this, but 99% of the rest of the world don't give a shit and just hand over cash to any brand they recognise the name of or the fella in the shop sells them?

I think if the answer to my question above is "no, the 4k 60p when it comes is 8 bit", then I'm on a course to see if the S5 will perform in ALL the roles I'd need it to.

More than a bit pissed off with all the camera companies right now. Every single one cripples in some degree or another everything they are putting out for no apparent reason other than they can. It's just fucking weird! 🙄

• Administrators
1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I only have one question...and could not find the answer.

This 4K 60p 1.5x crop firmware update that is coming in Feb 2021, is it 10 or 8 bit internal?

It’s the same sensor as my S5 but that already does the above with 10 bit.

If it’s 8 bit, that might just be enough to swing my 2nd and 3rd camera bodies back in favour of more S5’s...

PS: I don’t care about log and will be shooting some profile as I always do.

I believe it is all 8bit internal, the 10bit is still reserved only for HDMI output.

So no internal 10bit codec.

It's one of the laziest half hearted re-releases I've ever witnessed.

Sony going to be outselling them 10 to 1 at this rate.