Z6 II and Z7 II mirrorless cameras

Danyyyel

I really hope Nikon does not let me down here. If this camera doesn't come with N-log or 10-bit internal (At 30p, don't even need 60p) I'm probably moving away from Nikon. I'm not staying with a company that clearly will never be ahead of the video curve, plus all my Nikon lenses can be adopted to Sony. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/6/2020 at 11:18 PM, Geoff CB said:

I really hope Nikon does not let me down here. If this camera doesn't come with N-log or 10-bit internal (At 30p, don't even need 60p) I'm probably moving away from Nikon. I'm not staying with a company that clearly will never be ahead of the video curve, plus all my Nikon lenses can be adopted to Sony. 

Nikon is not in the list of h265 licensees. 

On 10/6/2020 at 12:48 PM, Geoff CB said:

I am all about getting internal log and 10bit, but to say that Nikon will never be ahead of the video curve is exaggerated when they where the first to give full frame 10bit 2 years ago. Even if it was external, you could get it with a device that's smaller than an actual flash. Now its only two years later than Sony and Canon are giving it to you. Nikon was also the first to give the first ML raw video output, unfortunately for me BMD and Atomos are in a commercial war and Davinci doesn't work with Prores raw. Which is not their fault.  Today's Z6 is still a very very good video camera and hopefully the z6ii put's it again at the top.

7 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

H264 supports 10-bit 4:2:2 

Personally I hope they stick to h264, h265 is a nightmare to edit. They should add higher bit-rate also, same as we have different jpeg setting. High bitrate 10 bit h264 would be a dream for 90+of jobs. When I see what you can already do with their 140 mbit codec, it would be both practical and lighter weight.  

On 10/3/2020 at 3:12 AM, Kisaha said:

Just feel sorry a bit for the early RF and Z adopters. Those cameras were destined to devaluate really fast and really too much.

I don't feel sorry for my 2 z6 purchase at all, when I bought the first one it didn't have things like eye AF, much better autofocus and even raw video. Sincerely the Z have always been full featured while the Canon where really underwhelming. It's not because Sony and Canon just released there first 10 bit camera than Nikon did not offer that 2 years ago.

Long but also very interesting article, I sincerely hope they do bring really exiting features. The z6 with internal 10 bit and the full sensor 6k raw at 2-2.5k would already be very good. I would just dream like a 120 fps 4k (or even 3k) time limited version. I personally don't need it more than 1 minutes, just for slow motion.

10 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

I am all about getting internal log and 10bit, but to say that Nikon will never be ahead of the video curve is exaggerated when they where the first to give full frame 10bit 2 years ago. Even if it was external, you could get it with a device that's smaller than an actual flash. Now its only two years later than Sony and Canon are giving it to you. Nikon was also the first to give the first ML raw video output, unfortunately for me BMD and Atomos are in a commercial war and Davinci doesn't work with Prores raw. Which is not their fault.  Today's Z6 is still a very very good video camera and hopefully the z6ii put's it again at the top.

I own the Z6, I love it but it has usability problems for video. There is significant delay over the external HDMI, and in the viewfinder itself when shooting in 24p and 30p there is bad delay. 

While these seem like small issues, they are a PITA on actually using it for work.

@Geoff CB Yeah, I totally agree - the output of that 8-bit file from the Z6 is nothing short of amazing, but I still got rid of my camera because of the viewfinder delay in 4k and the lack of exposure tools. The weird flickering in the shadows when shooting 10-bit N-log is also a problem they still haven't fixed. But if the Z6ii manages to sort all of these things I might get it.

I’ve really only got one question now about this and that is will the 4K 60p be full frame?

With my S5 I am happy/prefer it’s cropped for that camera (and lenses) intended use, but in regard to the pair of Z6ii’s I intend to purchase for different useage, 4k 60p crop could be a dealbreaker and especially if it’s not 10 bit internal.

Please Nikon do not cripple this camera!

You are my final remaining hope until at least mid if not late ‘21 and that’s too late for me...

21 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

I own the Z6, I love it but it has usability problems for video. There is significant delay over the external HDMI, and in the viewfinder itself when shooting in 24p and 30p there is bad delay. 

While these seem like small issues, they are a PITA on actually using it for work.

Is the lag also in the viewfinder, I didn't feel so. I know about the hdmi and thought they decreased it with firmwae, but perhaps I am confusing with another camera.

These cameras need to support ext Prores Raw WITHOUT any additional cost or worse - having to send the camera to Nikon. Also 10bit 4K 60p without any kind of cropping. 
I don't want to sound too alarmist but if those cameras aren't up to 2020 new standards (strong AF, 10bit internal 4k, output Prores raw to Ninja V, good IBIS), it could send a very poor signal to the market and deter any other users to switch to Nikon. And Nikon need to attract new potential users : we are talking people who use Sony, Canon, Fuji, Panasonic, and so on... 

Quite agree.

This is not a camera that can make Nikon, but it could break them. If they fluff it up.

It shouldn’t be too difficult though as the Z6 and Z7 are already a good base and it’s not as if they have a cinema line to protect so...

Miss the mark with this though and I can’t see a way back for them, ie, one of those real make or break moments for a company.

Hmmm, if that's the case, then kills it for me as that's even more than my S5 which is x1.5 crop.

Damn, damn and thrice damn.

Looks like the XT4 needs to be my direction then as with that unit, both the stills and the video is in the 'same' crop, albeit x1.29 in full IBIS 4k 60p mode and that I can just about live with. But x1.7?

Nah, - for my hybrid use, way too big a gap between the stills and video I flit between. I mean 85mm stills become 145mm in video. Crazy 😞

I know, I'm just more than a bit disappointed...

My S5 didn't quite fit my wedding needs, but ticked every other box which for me is: personal work, family vacations, large format landscape photography and both video & photo commercial work. And with the 20-60mm lens, there isn't anything else at any price on the market today that does that (within my personal needs/requirements). Nothing. So on that basis, it is an absolute keeper.

But for my hybrid capture wedding needs, it (the S5) works for stills but was pushing it for video with the lenses I intended to use, the 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 (when they come out). I just want/need a reasonably compact, preferably full frame, mirrorless, 4k 60p, 10 bit internal, minimal crop (though expect some if IBIS is engaged), but that x1.7 crop is OK with the 35mm, but way too long with the 85mm.

Having said that, I'm not going to kick the Z6ii out of bed before we've even met, though the rumoured spec does look pretty accurate now.

So it's still a contender but will have to see how it measures up to the S5 shooting hybrid (I have an all day job Tuesday that is going to be entirely handheld manual focus video and AF stills) or the XT4 which although I have never had one, the XT3 was my workhorse so very familiar with the system and files etc.

As I've said before, no great rush for me, - I have 6 months until my next wedding and as above, the S5 does everything else I need and is a keeper for at least 3 years if not longer, so plenty of time to make a decision.

I however personally disappointed with Nikon and for Nikon. I shot Nikon for 10+ years before moving to Fuji for the last 8 and really hoped to go back, but it's gone from looking almost absolutely to now not very likely.

I'm not seeking 'the perfect camera'. I'm just looking to get the most compact kit that does what I need it to do for my specific use case scenarios.