Z6 II and Z7 II mirrorless cameras

Danyyyel

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/zcountdown.page

So Nikon has launched a timer and in two weeks we will know not about mid life upgrade in the S designation but a second Gen Nikon Z6ii and Z7ii. I post below what Nikon Rumors posted as possible specs. So it was before Nikon confirmed a 2.0 model and not S. It is quite interesting because as an S update the changes where quite big, so now it is more in line. For video we see 4k 60 fps 'More new video features'. My guess as it is 2.0 version, I am a bit optimistic that we will get 10 bit and log internal. Even if they are using same sensor, which is debatable as same megapixel doesn't mean necessarily exactly same sensor. As they state faster shooting speed it could be a faster version which would be good in video for less rolling shutter. 

Now what I would like them to do for the z6, without being out of this world spec, is to give the full sensor 6k raw video readout for external recording at least for 24 to 30p. It would put the z6 again at the top of the ML cameras. Because it already has great IBIS, viewfinder and tracking for video. Some more and higher choice of bitrate would be great. My guess they will at least double the bitrate from 150 mbit 4k 30 p to 300 mbit for 4k 60p. But at least these 300 mbit are also available for 24 to 30p 4k and any slowmotion mode. Those 2x Expeed processor is also a strong indicator that they want to be aggressive for AF etc. If they do all the above they will lack only 4k 120p compared to the A7s3 and Canon R5 but for 1000-1500 less, which would be very competitive.

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/09/25/updated-rumored-nikon-z6s-and-z7s-camera-specifications-2.aspx/

The new models could be called Z6 II and Z7 II instead of Z6s and Z7s (still not sure)

Incremental update to the current Z6/Z7 models

The camera shape is almost the same as Z6/Z7

Same sensor as in the Z6/Z7

Same EVF as Z6/Z7 (previous rumors indicated EVF with 5.76 million dots, the current Z6/Z7 have EVF with 3.69 million dots)

Improved AF (Face/eye/animal detection)

Dual EXPEED processor

Will use the new Nikon EN-EL15c battery

USB power

Dual memory card slots: CFexpress and SD (XQD/CFX type B, SD-UHS-II)

Faster frame rate

More buffer memory

4k 60p video

More new video features

Improved user interface

Support for vertical grip with release button/controls (optional accessory)

Improved functionality expected with firmware update after release

The expected announcement is around October

The Nikon Z6s will be the last Nikon camera with a 24MP sensor

Higher prices than the current Z6 ($1,797) and Z7 ($2,497) models

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm mostly interested if it'll get 10bit log internal at least up to 2160p30. It could be the ideal compromise between Sony A7 III (great af, bad codec, great lens options, bad EVF/screen) and Panasonic S5 (great image, bad af, weak lens ecosystem) in the mid price segment of hybrid cams, especially with the TechArt adapter that opens the E mount lens options for it.

22 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I'm mostly interested if it'll get 10bit log internal at least up to 2160p30. It could be the ideal compromise between Sony A7 III (great af, bad codec, great lens options, bad EVF/screen) and Panasonic S5 (great image, bad af, weak lens ecosystem) in the mid price segment of hybrid cams, especially with the TechArt adapter that opens the E mount lens options for it.

I hope they give 10 bit to all format, from 4k 60 to  1080 120p. My dream would be they give even cropped or time limited 4k 120 fps. I love the 120 fps even a minute would be enough. I can't understand people saying they need to shoot 30 minutes 120 fps.

Hoping they bring internal 10-bit and would prefer to see BRAW over prores RAW, to be honest, as I don't use a Mac / Final Cut Pro.

My panasonic S1 is a really nice video camera, but it is big and heavy and using it on a gimbal is kind of a pain. Also, you have to go external if you want 4K 60p in 10-bit :( There is MAYBE a chance that with a firmware update the S1 will have 4K 60p 10-bit internal, since the S5 has it.

Panasonic lenses are expensive, especially if you are only a stills shooter, but the minimal focus breathing and the parfocal performance is really good. And being able to switch to linear focus and to adjust the amount of rotation necessary to change focus from MFD to infinity is GREAT!!!. So expensive if used as a stills lens, but inexpensive if used as a cinema lens. 

Don't know if the Nikon lenses are that capable or not. If so, i could easily see getting a Z6 II. I thought the original Z6 was a "close but no cigarette" camera.

I am pretty sure if I had not gone for the Panny S5, I would have gone for the Z6s/Z6ii or whatever they are going to call it.

The S1’s were/are too big for me and the Sony’s might be competent and the continual Canon shenanigans don’t endear me to their brand.

Bottom line is the quality of both stills and video does it for me with Panny and any other issues are a workaround.

I agree though, the lenses are not there yet. At least not from Panny alone plus they are a bit big. The Leica options are beyond my pay grade though there are some interesting Sigma options.

In November, there will be the first of the new f1.8’s in 85mm flavour and a target for me, followed by I think 24, 35 and a 50?

But I digress and wanted to say I like Nikon’s 1.8 line up for Z Mount. The 20mm, 35mm and 85mm would have been all I ever needed or wanted.

What was missing for me with the original Z was twin card slots and 4K 60p internal, 10 bit, preferably 422, but 420 would have been OK.

Otherwise I’d have gone back to Nikon in 2019.

I really hope they don’t cock this up as we don’t really need another fiasco, - too much drama in and out of the industry!

3 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Good to see Nikon still trying...how many feet do they have in the grave 1 or both? Nothing about Nikon feels like they will survive this one.

Nikon has about 20% last year, about the same as Sony Market share last year while Panasonic and Fuji had like 4-5% each. Nikon also sold 280 000 FF z6 and z7 last year, which is very solid for 2k+ cameras. So my guess, only Canon will survive, you should stop listening to fail photographers/videographers predending to be expert on youtube.

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Hoping they bring internal 10-bit and would prefer to see BRAW over prores RAW, to be honest, as I don't use a Mac / Final Cut Pro.

My panasonic S1 is a really nice video camera, but it is big and heavy and using it on a gimbal is kind of a pain. Also, you have to go external if you want 4K 60p in 10-bit 😞 There is MAYBE a chance that with a firmware update the S1 will have 4K 60p 10-bit internal, since the S5 has it.

Panasonic lenses are expensive, especially if you are only a stills shooter, but the minimal focus breathing and the parfocal performance is really good. And being able to switch to linear focus and to adjust the amount of rotation necessary to change focus from MFD to infinity is GREAT!!!. So expensive if used as a stills lens, but inexpensive if used as a cinema lens. 

Don't know if the Nikon lenses are that capable or not. If so, i could easily see getting a Z6 II. I thought the original Z6 was a "close but no cigarette" camera.

I am in the same boat as you, I hope they pare with black-magic to be able to use their recorder. This situation of the BM vs Atomos is a bit ridiculous, I also don't understand how what can be called the industry standard grading software cannot use PRORES raw. I hope big studio's start to put some pressure on BM. As for Nikon they have devised all there Z lens for video from the start, so no noise and breathing, but linear focusing at least in the very good 24-70 F4 is not as with manual lens. Now all there lens are firmware up-gradable, perhaps in the future. They are somehow stellar, Nikon is showing how using the biggest mount and shallowest flange distance is paying dividen. Even the kit lens are phenomenal.

XQD only = DOA, just like the current cameras. Hopefully they learned their lesson and will offer SD as well. I would have tried a z6 with the crazy cheap used prices if I didn’t have to buy an overpriced card that’s single camera specific. I really dig the ergos and the lenses, plus I could have adapted the 28, 58 and 105 1.4’s. Now that I have the a7s3 it’s a missed opportunity for Nikon. I hope it does well, but like Panasonic’s feeble attempt at a competent FF system, it’s probably too little too late when you look at Sony’s ecosystem and the R5/6. 

chris

7 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

XQD only = DOA, just like the current cameras. Hopefully they learned their lesson and will offer SD as well. I would have tried a z6 with the crazy cheap used prices if I didn’t have to buy an overpriced card that’s single camera specific. I really dig the ergos and the lenses, plus I could have adapted the 28, 58 and 105 1.4’s. Now that I have the a7s3 it’s a missed opportunity for Nikon. I hope it does well, but like Panasonic’s feeble attempt at a competent FF system, it’s probably too little too late when you look at Sony’s ecosystem and the R5/6. 

chris

So by the rumors it seems that it will definitely have a second card SD slot. The first objective in these new camera was to fix what most have been complaining about, that is dual card slots and true grip. I think these will sell very well at least to Nikon users that have not moved because of dual card slots etc. I am very encouraged since the z6 launch they have added so much to the Z6 in firmware update.

Well I'm probably going to be getting a pair.

Loving my Panny S5 but the autofocus is still troubling me...

However, it is superb in so many ways so most likely it's going to end up as my sole Panasonic body, with the 20-60mm lens and be my personal/travel/landscape camera for which it is very well suited.

Plus, for static, manual focus only, video duty at weddings, it should also be excellent.

Two out of two boxes ticked and justifies it's keep.

But for faster paced true hybrid stills/AF video, 4k 60p, IBIS, good if not quite class leading AF, compact, f1.8 primes, rugged build...well I think a pair of Z6ii's have my name on them unless there is anything after launch that suggests they won't be the most suited on the market for my needs.

I've looked at Canon and Sony and nah, not for me for various reasons. NP Alliance it is!

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

But for faster paced true hybrid stills/AF video, 4k 60p, IBIS, good if not quite class leading AF, compact, f1.8 primes, rugged build...well I think a pair of Z6ii's have my name on them unless there is anything after launch that suggests they won't be the most suited on the market for my needs.

I came to the same conclusion, though I don’t do pro work like you but want to buy into a system that ticks all those boxes and is likely to last (for now). Already got myself on a waiting list for the Z6II, first time I’ve ever gone on one for a camera launch. 

Well I am in no rush as my season...what there was (1/25 jobs!) is over until mid-April 2021, so best part of 1/2 a year until I need the kit.

Pretty sure it’s the ‘answer’ for my needs, this new & improved Z system, but in the mean time, I have my S5 to master and enjoy.

44 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Just feel sorry a bit for the early RF and Z adopters. Those cameras were destined to devaluate really fast and really too much.

That should come as ZERO surprise to anybody, because early adopters always pay the price, no matter what it is we're discussing. 

12 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

That should come as ZERO surprise to anybody, because early adopters always pay the price, no matter what it is we're discussing. 

It was pretty obvious the first Canon R cameras were subpar, if not a joke.

Nikon tried harder, they had the best first effort between Canon/Sony/Nikon but missed some important points, so they were going for an upgrade anyway.

From the big 3, someone with a Z6/7 can be happy with what he has and needs no upgrade.

33 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

From the big 3, someone with a Z6/7 can be happy with what he has and needs no upgrade.

I agree and unless you absolutely need in camera 4K 60p or twin card slots, these cameras are still as good as the day they were launched.

It’s not like anyone had a gun to their head to buy them or anything else.

They will make superb used options for a lot of people also.

I do think the Z line has been the most underestimated and over-criticised system of these last 2 years.