Sigma FP stopping recording 12bit 4K to Samsung T5

Pikepike

The other day I was recording 12 bit 4K at 24 fps to a Samsung T5 and my recording was randomly stopping. It would record for a minute or so then go to standby with the hourglass, kind of like when I first got it and tried to record straight to SD and it could only record for a few seconds. It did this multiple times, never recording for exactly a minute but always quitting recording at a random interval. Drive was formatted in camera and fresh. At first I thought maybe the camera was overheating as I was shooting on a hot Texas day but then I tried the next day in air conditioning and the same thing happen, with the camera remaining cool to the touch the whole time. I tried various different cables and still had the same issue, though in the middle there was a day where everything worked fine, so it's a strange intermittent problem. Haven't tested my new T7 to see if it has the same issue but I will. Is my T5 maybe dying? Is there some setting on the camera that makes it shut off? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else experienced this? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

The only issue I've had with it shutting down external recordings was when I bought a new, and expensive, right angle cable to be able to mount the drive a bit more elegantly.

Initially, I thought it was the new drive that I was using with it but fortunately it was easy to troubleshoot and find the culprit as I had other cables and drives at hand.

In these instances, though, it always shut down within about 5-10 seconds.

I've just run a test to a pretty full T5 in 12 Bit and it recorded to it until there was no space left and then gave the correct on screen warning that it was ending due to it reaching capacity. This was with the USB-C to USB-C cable supplied with the T5 so I'd recommend using that one if you aren't already.

v2.0 of the Fp firmware had a vague "Improved recording stability with recording media" listed as part of the enhancements so if you are running an earlier version then upgrade and try with that.

You'll have the answer if its your particular T5 when you test your T7 but fundamentally the T5 should work without issue.

I'm not sure if Sigma actually produce a list of fully tested and supported media.

If you got a similar message with the SD card, I would assume the hourglass warning is saying the buffer is full and the media isn't fast enough to free up some space. Similar to what BTM_Pix mentions above, I used a right angle cable on a Pocket 4k, but I got errors while recording. Despite the cable supposedly being fast enough, it's not.

I proved it with Blackmagic's Disk Speed Test software. Assuming you have a computer with a USB-c input, you could try all your cables with it and it'll show you if they're the bottle neck, or if indeed it is the T5 that's on the way out.

I get 483MB/s Write and 509MB/s Read with my T5

I did try another cable but I'm not sure if it was the supplied cable or not. That's an excellent suggestion on testing with black magic and the USB-C input on my computer, gonna test all my cables now! Going to shoot a little later today and I'll use the fastest cable and find out if I still have issues. 

Both the cables that I've been using that  I've tried read at around 490/510 mb/s but when I first tried speed test on my T5 Blackmagic said that the disk was read only, wonder if somehow the format got screwed up. I reformatted it to do the speed test. I'll see what happens when I use it later today. 

43 minutes ago, billdoubleu said:

You might also check to see if you have the latest firmware installed on your SSD.

Interesting never thought of that, don't know how but I'll look it up. 

Just shot for a little while this afternoon and everything worked as it should. It's been weirdly intermittent like that. 

On 10/1/2020 at 1:42 PM, Pikepike said:

The other day I was recording 12 bit 4K at 24 fps to a Samsung T5 and my recording was randomly stopping. It would record for a minute or so then go to standby with the hourglass, kind of like when I first got it and tried to record straight to SD and it could only record for a few seconds. It did this multiple times, never recording for exactly a minute but always quitting recording at a random interval. Drive was formatted in camera and fresh. At first I thought maybe the camera was overheating as I was shooting on a hot Texas day but then I tried the next day in air conditioning and the same thing happen, with the camera remaining cool to the touch the whole time. I tried various different cables and still had the same issue, though in the middle there was a day where everything worked fine, so it's a strange intermittent problem. Haven't tested my new T7 to see if it has the same issue but I will. Is my T5 maybe dying? Is there some setting on the camera that makes it shut off? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else experienced this? 

Just curious which model of Samsung T5 are you using.

It says "Note: Only 1TB and 2TB can be used in combination with SIGMA fp." in Sigma official website. https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/fp-series/accessories/#acc_recommend

On 10/5/2020 at 12:21 AM, A. L. said:

Just curious which model of Samsung T5 are you using.

It says "Note: Only 1TB and 2TB can be used in combination with SIGMA fp." in Sigma official website. https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/fp-series/accessories/#acc_recommend

Well, that's crazy! In fact the drive I've had issues with is the 512GB version. Sometimes it works just fine.

I can't imagine what would not allow the 512GB to work? So weird. 

5 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

It's likely that the bigger drives have faster transfer speeds. 

Yes, the review here - https://www.storagereview.com/review/samsung-portable-ssd-t5-review - highlights that the 512GB version has much slower sustained write speeds than the 2TB version (about 240 MByte/s versus 400 Mbyte/s). The random write speeds difference is even worse (about 100 MByte/s versus 400 Mbyte/s). They didn't test the 1TB version.

Very interesting and good to know. I guess I'll order a 1tb or a 2tb to extend my recording time.

Since the newer T7 is only $20 more and runs considerably faster on my computer is there any reason not to use that? I've been using a 1tb T7 without issue but just curious if there's a reason to stick to T5 (I realize that's what Sigma recommends but I'm guessing that's just because it's what was available when they were testing) 

• 3 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 5:33 AM, BTM_Pix said:

The only issue I've had with it shutting down external recordings was when I bought a new, and expensive, right angle cable to be able to mount the drive a bit more elegantly.

Initially, I thought it was the new drive that I was using with it but fortunately it was easy to troubleshoot and find the culprit as I had other cables and drives at hand.

In these instances, though, it always shut down within about 5-10 seconds.

I've just run a test to a pretty full T5 in 12 Bit and it recorded to it until there was no space left and then gave the correct on screen warning that it was ending due to it reaching capacity. This was with the USB-C to USB-C cable supplied with the T5 so I'd recommend using that one if you aren't already.

v2.0 of the Fp firmware had a vague "Improved recording stability with recording media" listed as part of the enhancements so if you are running an earlier version then upgrade and try with that.

You'll have the answer if its your particular T5 when you test your T7 but fundamentally the T5 should work without issue.

I'm not sure if Sigma actually produce a list of fully tested and supported media.

I have been calling tech support with all companies involved on these issues. Here is what I do know:

It works flawlessly with the Samsung T5 but ONLY with the supplied cable which you cannot buy separately. I have been on the phone with Samsung for hours getting bounced from dept. to dept. each time only to leave a message on a mysterious parts department machine which never calls you back. If you lose, or break the original supplied T5 cable you will have to buy another whole T5 as you cannot get the proper cable separately.

Which is OK in a way except they appear to be phasing out the T5s as they are getting harder to get and less variety everywhere, in favour of the T7 WHICH DOES NOT WORK with the Sigma FP or any camera. It will for stills, and you can shoot DNG 12 bit for about a minute 40 and it will shut down. So T7s don't work. Even Samsung confirmed this to me directly.

So the question now is, do we take out a bank loan and buy a pile of T5s, or, ARE THERE ANY OTHER SSDs that will work for the Sigma FP the way a T5 does? I called Sigma this morning who assured me there was a list of compatible SSDs on the dedicated FP page on the Sigma site, which there is not at all.

• Super Members
16 hours ago, James C said:

I called Sigma this morning who assured me there was a list of compatible SSDs on the dedicated FP page on the Sigma site, which there is not at all.

The list is here 

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/fp-series/accessories/#acc_recommend

The T5 is the only one listed that doesn't have any caveats listed with it but, anecdotally at least, I can say I've had no issues recording with the 500gb version of the Sandisk Extreme (not Pro) at 25fps 12 bit and its listed on Sigma's list that only 1tb and above can be used so I presume the list is quite conservative.

With regard to buying replacement T5 cables, these purport to be the genuine Samsung item but without having tried one personally I can't comment how true that is.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001891474093.html

On 10/8/2020 at 9:38 PM, Pikepike said:

Since the newer T7 is only $20 more and runs considerably faster on my computer

I use a T7 as an editing drive that I have Velcro'd to the back of the screen of my M1 MacBook Pro and it has been great. Drive mounts fast and editing has had zero hiccups with supplied USB-C cable. I did briefly use another cable I had (a shorter one in an attempt to clean up the rig a bit) but I was having weird problems and dips to 200MB/s writing via BM drive speed test app. I threw the cable in the bin. So I guess, not all USB-C cables are the same. I average ~700MB/s for reading/writing with the supplied cable.

I welcome USB-C everything but they gotta sort out the cabling and branding Thunderbolt 4/USB4/USB3.2 v2.2412. REV @45234 Bin 5 or whatever the hell they name this shit.

15 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I use a T7 as an editing drive that I have Velcro'd to the back of the screen of my M1 MacBook Pro and it has been great. Drive mounts fast and editing has had zero hiccups with supplied USB-C cable. I did briefly use another cable I had (a shorter one in an attempt to clean up the rig a bit) but I was having weird problems and dips to 200MB/s writing via BM drive speed test app. I threw the cable in the bin. So I guess, not all USB-C cables are the same. I average ~700MB/s for reading/writing with the supplied cable.

I welcome USB-C everything but they gotta sort out the cabling and branding Thunderbolt 4/USB4/USB3.2 v2.2412. REV @45234 Bin 5 or whatever the hell they name this shit.

T7 seems superior for PC uses but in terms of camera recording the T5 is superior. At least from what I've seen.