The URSA Mini Pro 12K

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Is amazing. I love it. Never going back to RED unless I’m forced to by a client.

Just thought I would share. The IQ is pristine, colors are great and it’s just a breeze to use. Will post a few stills here in a day or two.

Hope you review is out soon. Looking forward to it. You could release it in installments, starting with initial reviews. Review. And then after perhaps a year. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, majoraxis said:

A good reminder regarding focus and depth of field when shooting household pets. ; )

If I'm testing resolution of a camera mode then I typically shoot something almost stationary, open the aperture right up, focus, then stop down at least 3 stops, normally 4, to get to the sweet spot of whatever lens I'm using, and to also make sure that if I move slightly that the focal plane is deep enough.

Doing that with dogs might be a challenge!

This youtube video lists the camera as "Ursa Mini Pro 12k".

Wow - impressive!  The color rendition is special in the way that the different shades of a color appear distinct and unique even when they are very similar.  I also like the motion cadence.  The image is solid and without distraction.  It's nice to not have any obvious flaws that steel my attention from the content.

1 hour ago, majoraxis said:

This youtube video lists the camera as "Ursa Mini Pro 12k".

Wow - impressive!  The color rendition is special in the way that the different shades of a color appear distinct and unique even when they are very similar.  I also like the motion cadence.  The image is solid and without distraction.  It's nice to not have any obvious flaws that steel my attention from the content.

While that is a beautiful video, with a fantastic grade,  I really dislike that these things are labelled "Dolby Vision." Youtube DOES NOT support Dolby Vision, only HLG, which is worse than HDR10 format in terms of image quality. It may have been graded in Dolby Vision but it is not Dolby Vision display on youtube. 

yes it was well done, It does surprise me that unlike the p4k release there are no media clips for the ursa 12k around. Seems a bit odd to me. But who can say how bmd thinks 😀  I confess i preordered the 4k  from mostly those media releases. Not to mention the fact i was happy to help out a local company.  

Kyes been talking about image thickness in another thread. I'm going out on a limb and say the ursa 12k has it and with some to spare.😀 

i thought there was some banding or blockiness  with the red lipstick and red background, i had to watch it at 1440 before it went away. Perhaps something to do with what geoff cb was talking about or just youtube doing its evil thing i'm not sure. 

15 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

Closer than I expected... I like the Blackmagic colors better, the dynamic range on the canon seems to be slightly better than the URSA 12k... I would like the new sensor tech in a pocket body to make it affordable.

At 0:08 Strange that the highlight on the hair is so much hotter on the ursa then on the other camera's. Looks like a complete different temperature. Not sure if its a bad/good thing prolly depends on the situation. Gotta say the R5 is doing a hell of a job competing with these 2 (too bad of the 8K file storage, which ads up a lot costs for the R5 + the overheating otherwise I would already be rocking one right now). 

@Neumann FilmsThe new komodo does look very interesting though. Not buying right now, but I see myself getting one in a year or 2. 

@zerocool22 Thank you for the entertaining video. Just, the content of this video is, well, let´s say there is some. Presentation is pro and pleasing of course. First the Canons look better, then from 9.30 on 12K looks much better color wise. All three cameras look good.

I am waiting for Luke Neumanns material. If it turns out half as impressive as his GH5s video than we know he has a cabinet full of Zeiss anamorphics. 🙂 Luke, you better deliver some Zeiss opulence.  @Neumann Films

S1H has a 6K mode, even open gate. It is much cheaper than these other cameras and betters the R5 by a margin when it comes to exposure latitude.

4 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@zerocool22Thank you for contributing to the discussion. Just, the content of this video is, well, let´s say there is some. Presentation is pro and pleasing of course. First the Canons look better, then from 9.30 on 12K looks much better color wise. All three cameras look good. We knew that before.

I am waiting for Luke Neumanns material. If it turns out half as impressive as his GH5s video than we know he has a cabinet full of Zeiss anamorphics. 🙂 Luke, you better deliver some Zeiss opulence. 🙂

S1H has a 6K mode, even open gate. It is much cheaper than these other cameras and betters the R5 by a margin when it comes to exposure latitude.

Well saw some footage of the R5 and the S1H yesterday side by side, and the R6 colors were much better. The S1H skintones were really red, dynamic range is important but nice colour is more important. And I have a S5 on preorder. If canon bumps out an firmware update to fix the problems with the R6, I might cancel my pre-order and get the R6 instead. 

5 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Well saw some footage of the R5 and the S1H yesterday side by side, and the R6 colors were much better. The S1H skintones were really red, dynamic range is important but nice colour is more important.

Well, I saw a lot of  footage of the S1H and the R5 side by side and the S1H colors were much, much better. The R6 skintones were really green, its limited dynamic range screwed up its colour rendition in underexposed midtone areas. It is hard to believe that the tester didnt do a bit of colour correction. He gave us another filler video which has no significant technical test behind its slick presentation.  Which camera, R6 or R5? 🙂

Anyway, joke and implicite wisdome aside, R5 gets smoked in underexposed areas color and resolution wise. S1H is two stops ahead. Even S5, which you can get for 1900 USD.

And indeed in the test video above, the Canons look green and toxic from 9.30 on. So, there must be some weirdness to the test set up, as to the test set up, which you are referring to in your sentence.

The test video looks a bit dodgy on places.  By their own admission, they didn't test the 4K at a good enough compression setting when compared to the R5, though at least identified an issue with some of the compression settings in doing so.  To my eye, the light levels weren't always consistent.  Most tests film the same footage, with cameras side by side for better comparison; which wasn't done here.  I would be reluctant to make any conclusions based on this video alone.  

As always it is very hard to compare cameras with footage uploaded to YouTube.  Why don't they put it on Vimeo and let us download the original for better pixel peeping.  

58 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Yes you don't buy the Ursa 12k to then shoot in 4k at high compression rates

Well if I would buy one, this is what I would be doing though. I never need 12K in my life. 12K storage costs too much. But I do like the 12K IQ, colours look nice. But the noise seems to be a small problem.