Anyone test Canon R5 vs Canon 1DC?

Rob6

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Going to add the 1D X Mark III to the mix as well.

Not much to shoot and little colour in Berlin at the moment.

Not feeling inspired but will get on with it during the week probably.

Thank you Andrew. I love my 1DC, it really does have something special going on in picture it delivers. 🙂 Its isn't just more bits that make a great image. It's also good glass!

Broatch

7 hours ago, independent said:

What is comparable between 8k RAW and 4k 8-bit motion jpeg? 

You would downsample the 8k to 4k first since no one has 8k TVs, then compare 4K to 4K….and see the mojo of the 1DC. 😉

Seriously, we are all amateurs here and not trying to create 8k masters to bring out in Hollywood 10 years from now. I think 8k is a joke right now. You really need to downsample to see how it compares to 4k recorded straight up. Maybe then, YOU MIGHT see finer and clearer 4k. 

I would like to see the comparison. And…don’t forget, the 1DC is 4:2:2 8-bit.  It’s a really good 8-bit. 

8K is no joke. Forum users like @gt3rs use it to reframe & grab stills amongst other user cases.

9 hours ago, Spaceghost1969 said:

You really need to downsample to see how it compares to 4k recorded straight up. Maybe then, YOU MIGHT see finer and clearer 4k. 

4K HQ mode on R5 does exactly that (8K downsampled 4K). It DEFINITELY shows finer & clearer 4K than non-oversampled 1:1 4K. 1DX3/R6 also downsamples from 5.5K and shows similar 4K improvements.

Personally, after experiencing 10-bit 4:2:2 log on R6, I can't go back to 8-bit log for grading. MJPEG is also a stone-age codec to manage. Good riddance.

That said, I can't deny early Canon CS has a certain mojo (still own my early 5D's & C100).

5D3 ML 14-bit RAW is still the golden standard as far as I'm concerned color-wise.

Would be interesting to see how R5 RAW and 10-bit Clog fares against a 1DC.

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 12:01 PM, Dogtown said:

Thank you Andrew. I love my 1DC, it really does have something special going on in picture it delivers. 🙂 Its isn't just more bits that make a great image. It's also good glass!

Broatch

Any luck with the test? It's ok if you don't do it. I keep checking back to see if got done.

Broatch