Anyone test Canon R5 vs Canon 1DC?

Rob6

Has anyone done or seen a test that compares the 4k of the Canon 1DC vs the 4k of the R5 in standard/4k Fine/8k modes? I would love to see how they compares in color as well. Thinking of getting a 1DC as a third camera because I have a bunch of huge Compact Flash cards. Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone shot with both the 1DC (or other 8-bit Canons) as well as the new R5?

I've heard once or twice that "Canon colors" might have changed in the more recent cameras.

Possibly, the advent of 10-bit CLog in the newer mirrorless models means that fewer "Canon colors" are baked in, with preference given to more accurate colors that can then be graded according to preference. (This might be true of the C70 colors too.)

I have a 1DC and an R5.  To my eyes the R5 is the image that is closest to 1DC of all the Canon cameras I have used (that would include the C100 II, C200, C300 I and II, XC10,  1DX II, 5D II-III-IV and the R).  In “EOS Original” it is very, very close, although I think reds are handled slightly differently.  I have an irrational reverence for my 1DC even though its a 2012 camera.  It was the camera I compared all others against. So when I say the R5 is the closest I mean that as high praise.  And frankly the R5’s 8k RAW and 4K is superior to the 1DC.

I am not super technical  on the color front but to me there was a clear shift in Canon colors somewhere around 2013-2015  (ie 5D III, C100 Mark II and 1DC are prior to this shift and 5D IV,  C200,  1DX Mark II and R are after this shift and they feel different).  The neutral/ eos original matrix didn’t seem to completely even out those differences either to my eyes in the later cameras. For some reason the R5 feels more like a reversion to the older color but in slightly more mature form (and 10 bit definitely helps).   I know some people propose the C70 as the 1DC successor and that may true from a C-line hybrid form factor perspective, but the colors and image seem very different .

16 hours ago, Nautical said:

I have a 1DC and an R5.  To my eyes the R5 is the image that is closest to 1DC of all the Canon cameras I have used (that would include the C100 II, C200, C300 I and II, XC10,  1DX II, 5D II-III-IV and the R).  In “EOS Original” it is very, very close, although I think reds are handled slightly differently.  I have an irrational reverence for my 1DC even though its a 2012 camera.  It was the camera I compared all others against. So when I say the R5 is the closest I mean that as high praise.  And frankly the R5’s 8k RAW and 4K is superior to the 1DC.

I am not super technical  on the color front but to me there was a clear shift in Canon colors somewhere around 2013-2015  (ie 5D III, C100 Mark II and 1DC are prior to this shift and 5D IV,  C200,  1DX Mark II and R are after this shift and they feel different).  The neutral/ eos original matrix didn’t seem to completely even out those differences either to my eyes in the later cameras. For some reason the R5 feels more like a reversion to the older color but in slightly more mature form (and 10 bit definitely helps).   I know some people propose the C70 as the 1DC successor and that may true from a C-line hybrid form factor perspective, but the colors and image seem very different .

Very interesting about the color. I haven't done any formal tests but the 8K RAW on the R5 just looks so damn good. More than just the resolution. It's insane data rate makes it a very specialized tool for me (which I have no problem with).

I also just watched CVP's video about the EF-RF 0.71x speed booster on the R5. Will only be a matter of time before people start playing around with R5 + Speedbooster + vintage medium format glass (Mamiya 654/7, Bronica, Pentax 645, etc...) in 8K RAW mode.

17 hours ago, Rob6 said:

Especially comparing with the different r5 modes of 4K with and without 4K fine.

The 4KLQ mode is fine to use in a pinch if you can't film in 4KHQ mode. The OLPF (or whatever canon is doing) helps with the line-skipping and pixel binning and a small amount of sharpening in post cleans up the rest. So in good lighting, 4KLQ looks pretty good. Way better than EOS R ever did that much is for sure. If it's going on Youtube and you're not zooming in 200% percent on your image YouTube will make it look like trash regardless.

I also find the 4KHQ mode upto 128000 ISO is quite amazing for 45MP sensor.

I'm also wondering if the RED Komodo is using the same sensor but with a global shutter. If you do the math for the crop the megapixels come out exactly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 3:34 PM, Video Hummus said:

The 4KLQ mode is fine to use in a pinch if you can't film in 4KHQ mode. The OLPF (or whatever canon is doing) helps with the line-skipping and pixel binning and a small amount of sharpening in post cleans up the rest. So in good lighting, 4KLQ looks pretty good. Way better than EOS R ever did that much is for sure. If it's going on Youtube and you're not zooming in 200% percent on your image YouTube will make it look like trash regardless.

I also find the 4KHQ mode upto 128000 ISO is quite amazing for 45MP sensor.

I'm also wondering if the RED Komodo is using the same sensor but with a global shutter. If you do the math for the crop the megapixels come out exactly.

Thanks for the info! Interesting what you say about the Komodo sensor. It does use the rf mount after all. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 2:00 AM, Nautical said:

I also have an irrational reverence of my 1DC. Was thinking about upgrading to an R5 because of the huge feature set improvements and auto focus with video. I don’t think I will sell the 1DC (can’t bring myself to doing it), but just purchase an R5 in addition.

I think there was something with the analog to digital conversion back in 2012 that they just lost the recipe for after that. Curious to see if they’ve figured out how to replicate it with the R5 under EOS original. Funny how the 1DC has become the industry benchmark for matching Canon colors and 4K IQ and was made back in 2012.