Taping over electronic contacts on lens/adapter. Easiest ways?

dgvro

So I have a Viltrox focal reducer (EF-FX2) adapter for my XT4.

Of course it has electronic contacts on the back of the mount to send the info to/from lens.

Problem though: when using it as a smart adapter in this way, you lose the ability to have IBIS function in the camera (at least with all the EF lenses I own anyway).

Solution, for me at least: tape over the contacts when I do want IBIS (and just manual focus, I'm fine with this, XT4 AF-C is unreliable and my lenses have nice ergos for manual) and don't mind sticking at one aperture.

Once I'm out and about though I really don't ever wanna be fumbling with bits of sticky tape on and off the adapter when I'd like to change smart<->dumb adapter to get the use of IBIS after electronically changing aperture or something.

Has anyone ever seen or come up with their own handy solution for a quicker on/off (ideally even reuseable) way of covering/uncovering the electronic contacts on a lens or adapter?

Simplest of all would be me just buying a second adapter that I keep permanently dumb-ed down with tape always on the contacts, but I'm on a budget here as is...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
12 hours ago, dgvro said:

Has anyone ever seen or come up with their own handy solution for a quicker on/off (ideally even reuseable) way of covering/uncovering the electronic contacts on a lens or adapter?

Without power, the adapter will not be able to communicate with the camera so you should only need to isolate the power and ground to stop it working.

This means that you should be able to bring those out those externally and power the adapter from an external source that you would then be able to engage and disengage with a switch as required.

Something like this module which allows you to use a rechargeable 16340 battery could be used and they are about €4 on Aliexpress and the batteries are around €2 for 2 or €6 for 10.

403517500_ScreenShot2020-09-28at13_48_43.png.4cf85db24b15b5a367e534af633840ad.png

It probably won't be pretty and you'll need to find a Fuji service manual to find out the pins but it will work for what you need and is definitely low budget.

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

This means that you should be able to bring those out those externally and power the adapter from an external source that you would then be able to engage and disengage with a switch as required.

Why not just put a switch inline on the "hot" power lead of the adapter instead of powering with an external source?  That way, OP can just enable and disable the electronics by merely flicking the switch.

Incidentally, here is a small dip switch that might work:

dip_switch2.jpg.302ca13e8d4e5d7186eafcd6b98c8bdf.jpg

• Super Members
53 minutes ago, tupp said:

Why not just put a switch inline on the "hot" power lead of the adapter instead of powering with an external source?  That way, OP can just enable and disable the electronics by merely flicking the switch.

Incidentally, here is a small dip switch that might work:

dip_switch2.jpg.302ca13e8d4e5d7186eafcd6b98c8bdf.jpg

You most certainly could do that too.

Working space inside the adapter is going to be the issue with any solution.

With a non speed boosted adapter it is less of an issue.

53 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Working space inside the adapter is going to be the issue with any solution.

With a non speed boosted adapter it is less of an issue.

Yes.  It might be best to run the leads outside of the adapter/speedbooster, and epoxy or hot-melt-glue the switch to the adapter housing.

By the way, the pictured dip switch is tiny.