Canon EOS R5/R6 user experience

ntblowz

1 hour ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

Some YT tests of the R5 and R6 found the maximum under CLOG was 11 usable stops. The S1 if I remember rightly using the same parameters was 12.7 stops so a massive difference. The R5 does have the advantage of RAW and while there's actually less stops of usable DR, with noise reduction you'll almost certainly get more than you can out of CLOG although I haven't seen any tests investigating how much more.

I saw a comparison of R5 raw and the zcam F6 Prores and dynamic range seemed the same. Probably similar with the S1 as the z cam uses the same sensor. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I’m hoping to see clog3 as well and something in the mid to high 11 stop range of DR in that mode.

The cineD test said there was perhaps 1-2 stops recoverable in RAW with some clever noise reduction in post so the RAW range is something like 11-13 stops.

Clog3 favors highlights so perhaps the difference won’t be so much compared to clog1. If they do something clever with the H265 encoding to preserve detail in the shadows then maybe we will see a 1 stop improvement. We shall see.

The Sony sensors are definitely better in the DR department on paper.

15 hours ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

Some YT tests of the R5 and R6 found the maximum under CLOG was 11 usable stops. The S1 if I remember rightly using the same parameters was 12.7 stops so a massive difference. The R5 does have the advantage of RAW and while there's actually less stops of usable DR, with noise reduction you'll almost certainly get more than you can out of CLOG although I haven't seen any tests investigating how much more.

Thank you!!!

Darn, for what I do do, that extra stop and 2/3rds would reduction in DR would be significant.

But as for 4K 60p on the R6, then it does have a minimal crop (and not the 1.5X crop I thought I heard somewhere???)

13 hours ago, Emanuel said:

4k 120fps is not different than 4k 30fps as is conformed. My gaming notebook can play both realtime ... (all done in the CPU). The challenge comes when you want to conform it back to 120fps as you want to have speed ramp or just no slow motion from one section then is a no go. What I do a generate optimize media just for that section. The above solution seem a bit ridiculous then is better to batch convert.

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

4k 120fps is not different than 4k 30fps as is conformed. My gaming notebook can play both realtime ... (all done in the CPU). The challenge comes when you want to conform it back to 120fps as you want to have speed ramp or just no slow motion from one section then is a no go. What I do a generate optimize media just for that section. The above solution seem a bit ridiculous then is better to batch convert.

Please elaborate then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I did sell one of my 512 GB SanDisk and brought a Delkin 2 TB for 880 usd. So far so good, I used a few times for over 1 TB each of 8k RAW and 4k 120fps 10bit with no issue at all.

8k RAW screen grab, 24mm at 2.8, Godox VL-200  
Untitled00107964-5K.thumb.jpg.b9918efe23f508bbd53e9a9418368e4c.jpg

nice! Are you using the 8K mode as a high frame rate capture mode for photos?

So Delkin CFX Type B is good for 8K RAW. Any slow down in startup times? Currently I have a 256GB Angelbird but I’ve heard the bigger capacity Angelbird cards increase camera boot times for some reason.

Might have to take a look at the 2TB Delkin.

So far my biggest annoyance is the custom profile doesn’t save the active card slot setting so when switching custom profiles, say 4K 24p to SD to 4K 120p it gives a warning about cant record to SD. I then have to use the quick menu to manual switch slots. Worse when I switch back it just stays on CFExpress. 

On 1/9/2021 at 3:12 AM, Video Hummus said:

nice! Are you using the 8K mode as a high frame rate capture mode for photos?

So Delkin CFX Type B is good for 8K RAW. Any slow down in startup times? Currently I have a 256GB Angelbird but I’ve heard the bigger capacity Angelbird cards increase camera boot times for some reason.

The Delkin 2 TB does not slow down the startup. Startup is basically immediate as with the SandDisk 512 GB. I only use CFExpress so I did not incur on the active slot issue...

For the posted frame goal was both video and photo. With sports you can get away with higher shutter speed so you get both in one take. Advantage of using continuous light is that you can get the perfect frame either at 20fps or 30fps if doing video (so no need to do multiple try for the same trick that they hate), disadvantage is that they are way less powerful than strobes, only ok for late afternoon and no sun....

My R5 arrived yesterday and I'll be doing some Anti YouTuber style test against a MAVO LF, EOS R and Pocket 4K.  Initial lowlight test the EOSR + speedbooster preforms better than the R5.   Also, I don't know why YouTubers aren't mentioning how good the 8k 8bit IPB is and how easy it is to work with.  smh....You DON'T have to shoot EVERYTHING in RAW, 10bit or Clog(8bit variant would be nice).  I can record 8k 8bit IPB to a Prograde Gold  SD card without issues.

Well it depends on what you want or your tolerances are. 

If you want max image quality, the r5’s 8k raw is arguably among the best for any camera. 

The dynamic range figures have to be contextualized with NR. If you want great useable dynamic range straight out of the camera, the c70 is great. 

The R5 8k raw requires work in post, but that’s any raw camera. With some NR its DR and high ISO end up being quite competitive or even better than the A7s iii. 

But the 8k raw’s detail and color are superior to anything under $15k. 

On 12/30/2020 at 6:50 PM, TheBoogieKnight said:

Have there been any tests yet of image quality and DR using RAW and Neat NR? 

There is a test floating about comparing R5 Raw to the Z Cam F6 and Panasonic S1H. The R5 seemed about the same as both cameras in the dynamic range department. They just need CLOG2 or 3 in the 10 bit modes to get the most out of the sensor. 

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

The new update will be coming next month... to counter the new Sony release?

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-next-canon-eos-r5-firmware-update-is-coming-next-month-cr2/

Hope this is true. Then I only have to wait on a amd processor that can smoothly edit this footage and then I might get one + the price will already have dropped (or at least used).

On 1/21/2021 at 3:41 PM, zerocool22 said:

Hope this is true. Then I only have to wait on a amd processor that can smoothly edit this footage and then I might get one + the price will already have dropped (or at least used).

The CR2 "rumor" rating is worrisome, along with words from the head of Canon's imaging division.

This camera needs Clog3 with real world improvements in DR in 4K modes to stay more competitive. We already kinda get CLOG2 in 8K RAW mode.

18 hours ago, plucas said:

5.1K Canon RAW Light would be welcome for the crop mode, especially in 50/60p.

This would be awesome but I highly doubt it. It will be interesting to see what they do with the rumored R1 1DX replacement. Latest rumors is it has a 45MP+ sensor and will shoot 8K. Sony as well with their A9III. I guess high MP are coming to the sports cameras.