Canon EOS R5/R6 user experience

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/11/2020 at 6:06 PM, dvcrn said:

I started reading a bit about the R6 but don't fully get the 10bit claims. It can shoot internal 10bit when in CLog mode, but what about non CLog? 

DPreview says: 

Can someone explain the HDR PQ thing? Also I'm guessing 10bit is usable in 1080p as well and not just 4K? 

The other thing I am curious about is the IBIS. How does it perform when using non-IS lenses? 

Does anyone have comments on this? 

25 minutes ago, dvcrn said:

Does anyone have comments on this? 

Neve used HDR PQ so can't comment, non clog is 8bit 420 but not too bad in cinestyle which you can lift shadow quite a bit.  FHD X.265 is fine on PC. 420 8bit 4K50p is fine on pc too, but 422 10bit 4k50p is slideshow.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched this video just for the comedy factor. Just watching the video started giving me a headache. The Panasonic S5 is such a joy to shoot with compared to the R6. It's like Canon is selling a sports car but puts a limiter on it, rations the amount of horsepower it can put to the wheels at random times, then expects you to thank them those few times you can actually drive it like their marketing material said it could be driven.

59 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

First off, is it still possible to downgrade for a precedent firmware version where mod can be applied?

I returned mine so no idea, before returning I upgraded to version 1.1.1 and tried the battery trick and it did not work, so either they have closed that loophole or I did it wrong.

So I finally got a chance to test drive the R5. The 8K & 4K HQ image quality is just stunning imo.

I'm now planning on acquiring the camera, despite the overheat issues (defeatable with the hack).

That said the 10-bit h265 log footage doesn't run on my 13" MBP, only on my iMac Pro.

Kind of a major bummer when I'm editing/grading on the go. What's the workaround? Any software to transcode h265 into h264?

9 minutes ago, Django said:

So I finally got a chance to test drive the R5. The 8K & 4K HQ image quality is just stunning imo.

I'm now planning on acquiring the camera, despite the overheat issues (defeatable with the hack).

That said the 10-bit h265 log footage doesn't run on my 13" MBP, only on my iMac Pro.

Kind of a major bummer when I'm editing/grading on the go. What's the workaround? Any software to transcode h265 into h264?

You edit on Mac, why not just convert into ProRes 422 or use ProRes 422 proxies? That'll edit a lot better than h264.

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I saw that earlier today.. is the switch from intel to ARM processor good news for h265 editing? 

I seem to remember iPad Pros could edit h265 no sweat..

5 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

What are we waiting for to edit h265, do we need some new pc hardware? Is there none on the market out yet? As h265 is out already for a couple of years now. 

There is no 422 10bit H.265 hardware encoding on X86 CPU or NV/AMD GPU at current market except Apple chip (not sure about android cpus), they only support 420 or 444 8bit/10bit, 422 10bit x.265 is purely software at the moment.  That's the sole reason only Ipad can edit 4K/8K x.265 422 10bit realtime without proxy at all. because of hardware acceleration support! A7S3's XAVC-HS also have the same problem unless you use proxies.

22 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

There is no 422 10bit H.265 hardware encoding on X86 CPU or NV/AMD GPU at current market except Apple chip (not sure about android cpus), they only support 420 or 444 8bit/10bit, 422 10bit x.265 is purely software at the moment.  That's the sole reason only Ipad can edit 4K/8K x.265 422 10bit realtime without proxy at all. because of hardware acceleration support! A7S3's XAVC-HS also have the same problem unless you use proxies.

Any news that AMD is working on it?

7 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Any news that AMD is working on it?

The AMD 6000 series GPUs may have it. Nvidia seems to be using it to segment and sell it’s incredibly expensive desktop workstation GPU’s

Honestly, if the new ARM MacBooks are anything like iPad Pro performance or better...than it would be cheaper to get a MacBook than an expensive Nvidia Workstation card or the $700 and $999 upcoming AMD cards...if you are in the Mac ecosystem that is.

Apple has a huge opportunity with the new ARM based Macs to push heavily into the video editing and “creative” market if even their lower-tier MacBooks can edit 8K and 4K H265 R5 files without breaking a sweat and with excellent battery life even on the go.

8 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

The AMD 6000 series GPUs may have it. Nvidia seems to be using it to segment and sell it’s incredibly expensive desktop workstation GPU’s

Honestly, if the new ARM MacBooks are anything like iPad Pro performance or better...than it would be cheaper to get a MacBook than an expensive Nvidia Workstation card or the $700 and $999 upcoming AMD cards...if you are in the Mac ecosystem that is.

Apple has a huge opportunity with the new ARM based Macs to push heavily into the video editing and “creative” market if even their lower-tier MacBooks can edit 8K and 4K H265 R5 files without breaking a sweat and with excellent battery life even on the go.

Looks like they are focussing on the AV1 and not HEVC. I honestly dont understand what camera companies are thinking implementing codecs that are almost unusable. I never in my life will return to apple/mac. 

7 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Looks like they are focussing on the AV1 and not HEVC. I honestly dont understand what camera companies are thinking implementing codecs that are almost unusable. I never in my life will return to apple/mac. 

Bummer. AV1 is more of a streaming codec. Amazing quality at low bitrates but the processing times become horrendous as you go up...would be a terrible capture format except for live productions or immediate turn around news or something. I don’t get it. BM doesn’t seem to want to offer BRAW unless through their external recorders.

I don’t mind using Apple if I can get hardware acceleration.

With Resolve 16  on Windows 10 on a high end gaming notebook i9-10980HK and RTX 2070 Max-Q with external 4k screen:

R5 h265 10bit on a 4k dci timeline with some basic grading real-time (CPU is the bottle neck so a top desktop should do even better):
24 and 25 fps ALL-I and IPB 
30fps IPB (yes IPB in Resolve is faster not sure why)
Above 30fps even on 30fps timeline it chokes

8k RAW on a 4k DCI 24,25,30fps timeline with half resolution on the camera raw tab is real-time. I change to full resolution before final rendering.

Overall even 8k RAW is quicker to edit than h265 10bit.