Canon EOS R5/R6 user experience

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Simon Young said:

"I got less time on S35 in 4K50P than FF 4K50p (20min vs 30min), FF 4K50p/60p is not oversampled."

@ntblowz I was thinking about s35 24/25p, which doesn't overheat.  

I haven't tried the 24/25/30p so can't comment, theoretically it should give less heat than 4KHQ

Well here is my thought on the R5 after the race day

1. AF   The most reliable method for me is the Zone AF, tracking AF on cars can get lost when I also do the panning or when the car is down to certain area on screen or if there is a lot of cars which can block the view. Expand AF can get OoF once the car goes past and I have to use manual to get back in focus quickly otherwise it is really really slow to get back to focus. (with telephoto lens), There is still occasional focus hunt when I panning across to follow the car (from forward to sideway)

2. Custom Video Mode Major advantage over R6 is the custom video mode, currently I have set to FHD/4K50P/4K100P, so when I want to change I just press the mode and change. I can totally feel the pain for R6 user which currently doesn't have this, Canon should really update R6 for this feature.

3. Movie Crop Mode You can't set the movie crop mode to a custom key which is super dumb, I have to go to menu each time i want to do crop mode, on Sony and Panasonic you can set key for much faster access.  If you shoot in crop mode and change to your custom mode it will still shoot in crop mode (unless in 4K100/120/8K).

4. NTSC/PAL Selector  Much better done on Canon than Sony or Panasonic, just change the frequency and shoot, no need to format card (Sony) or restart camera (Panasonic), so if I need more slowmo I just change to NTSC and keep on shooting.

5. Battery Issue  I had problem where it just suddenly give me error when using EF Lens on the adapter on the genuine LP-E6N battery, I have to use LP-E6NH to make the problem go away. I will need to investigate this more. Though I feel I might get more LP-E6NH at end and sell the old LP-E6N.

6. No CLOG on H.264 This is probably the most dumbest move on Canon, we get that HEVC offer twice the efficiency but the bitrate is quite healthy on the H.264, there is absolute no technical issue for clog not on H.264! Hope Canon can really fix this as X.265 is so awful to edit.  There is HDR PQ to increase DR on H.264 if you dont want X.265 or Andrew's EOSHD Clog to emulate Clog on H.264, I used cinestyle as it matches up with the 1DX2 which also use cinestyle to help with edit in post as the video is due next day.  My editor have no problem editing the 4K50P on H.264, though 4K100P is still lag feast on Ryzen 7 4800H.

Other than that the editor say the video quality is definitely better than the C100MKII I shot on previous race, unfortunately we can't share our video as it belongs to the TV station (for subscriber only) but here is the  video from the team's media team  (some of my R5 footage is from 4:36 onwards)

Andrew, After using my Canon R5 for several days here on the Kenai River, Alaska, I wish Canon would give us a different aspect ratio for the video, such as 2.39/1 or 2.40/1.  This option was something I really enjoyed with my Canon 5DMK3 with Magic Lantern...  

On 10/2/2020 at 3:51 AM, herein2020 said:

Were you in CLOG on the R6? That makes a big difference, I've read it is 8 bit H.264 footage until you turn on CLOG. I didn't test 4K30FPS at all or non CLOG. H.264 should be fine because NVIDIA cards can HW decode but need the CPU for H.265, my CPU was hovering around 70% and DR was playing the footage at around 5FPS until I created proxies.  I do think Canon needs to add an option to use CLOG with H.264 like the C200, this would be the best of both worlds as long as you properly expose and WB on set.

Yes, CLOG. On my 2016 MBP I have to create proxies. On the 2020 model, it's not smooth like butter, but absolutely usable without proxies. 

I shot my first event this past weekend with the R6 (mainly photos, I had my Ursa G2 for video) and it preformed well in 100º weather. The event was Subaru of America's Guinness World Record attempt in Los Angeles. I also photographed the 2022 BRZ teaser shots for them (those hit all the car sites yesterday), but I used my Olympus EM1X for that since I don't have the flash transmitter for the Canon yet. 

Subiefest2020-RDouthit-069.thumb.jpg.5bd74a21e1c83c2d495ae65cc7fe53fd.jpg

For video, I did use it to film a car in the desert the day prior. It was 110º and, as expected, video was near useless. It fell to only a minute usable after about 10 minutes of shooting various, very short clips. I do like the camera though, and I have lots  of other options for video so I'm going to keep it anyhow. Just would be nice if it was a bit more useful. 

BN5A0006.jpg

1 hour ago, rdouthit said:

Yes, CLOG. On my 2016 MBP I have to create proxies. On the 2020 model, it's not smooth like butter, but absolutely usable without proxies. 

I shot my first event this past weekend with the R6 (mainly photos, I had my Ursa G2 for video) and it preformed well in 100º weather. The event was Subaru of America's Guinness World Record attempt in Los Angeles. I also photographed the 2022 BRZ teaser shots for them (those hit all the car sites yesterday), but I used my Olympus EM1X for that since I don't have the flash transmitter for the Canon yet. 

Subiefest2020-RDouthit-069.thumb.jpg.5bd74a21e1c83c2d495ae65cc7fe53fd.jpg

For video, I did use it to film a car in the desert the day prior. It was 110º and, as expected, video was near useless. It fell to only a minute usable after about 10 minutes of shooting various, very short clips. I do like the camera though, and I have lots  of other options for video so I'm going to keep it anyhow. Just would be nice if it was a bit more useful. 

BN5A0006.jpg

Those images look great, I wish the video was more useable too. I returned it today, I really needed a body that could do it all.....for me the S5 turned out to be that body. I do wonder how the S5 photography quality stacks up to the R6, I've never considered Panasonic for photography before.

Interesting thread! I am on the edge of what to do, whether to go and sell my EOS R and switch to Sony, or to get an R5. 

My main takeaways from this thread is that overheating really is an issue that becomes annoying, sad. 😞

Does the R5 in lowq 4k video mode not overheat? I didn't know that and thought it applied to all 4k modes. 

3 hours ago, dvcrn said:

Interesting thread! I am on the edge of what to do, whether to go and sell my EOS R and switch to Sony, or to get an R5. 

My main takeaways from this thread is that overheating really is an issue that becomes annoying, sad. 😞

Does the R5 in lowq 4k video mode not overheat? I didn't know that and thought it applied to all 4k modes. 

I would imagine the overheating is because they want to use the higher fram rate modes.

7 hours ago, dvcrn said:

Not in the low quality 4K mode, nor in the APSC cropped 4K mode. Overheating free.

No overheating in any mode (8K included) in ambient temperatures 60F/16C degrees too.

2 hours ago, plucas said:

Not in the low quality 4K mode, nor in the APSC cropped 4K mode. Overheating free.

No overheating in any mode (8K included) in ambient temperatures 60F/16C degrees too.

Have they improved the cool-down times after you've used it in photo mode? Can you shoot some HQ/8k footage now without having let it cool for hours?

In my case with the R6 and 1.1.1 firmware, it still overheats like crazy, even at 4k/30p. I can't comment on the R5, as I haven't used it. But, having previously shooting with the Sony A7RIII I can say -- as amazing as the images were -- I just don't need 45MP shots at this point. 

Did a MV shoot last night, shooting everything 4k50p both internally and to Ninja V, no overheating after 1 and half battery.

Got another shoot on Sunday and will update on that.

The Sigma Art 35 1.4 works pretty well.. like it more than my rf 35 1.8

20201009_212108.jpg

17 hours ago, dvcrn said:

That on R6, I been using on R5 for a few shoot but haven't seen overheating sign yet.

Just sold my EOS R as I can really use R5 for pro shoot. 

7 hours ago, rdouthit said:

In my case with the R6 and 1.1.1 firmware, it still overheats like crazy, even at 4k/30p. I can't comment on the R5, as I haven't used it. But, having previously shooting with the Sony A7RIII I can say -- as amazing as the images were -- I just don't need 45MP shots at this point. 

Yeah R6 will be my ideal camera if not for the overheating. I think the 30MP on R is the sweetspot for me. I usually shoot medium size on those large mp camera.

Just R5 have the option for longer recording if needed, R6 will have to use Full HD. If R6 have LQ4k mode that will be sweet too.

I started reading a bit about the R6 but don't fully get the 10bit claims. It can shoot internal 10bit when in CLog mode, but what about non CLog? 

DPreview says: 

By default the camera shoots 8-bit footage but there are two 10-bit, 4:2:2 modes that shoot more detailed and more flexible footage. The first of these is C-Log mode, which captures very flat, desaturated footage designed to preserve flexibility for color-grading as you edit. The other alternative is HDR PQ mode, which captures ready-for-HDRTV footage.

Can someone explain the HDR PQ thing? Also I'm guessing 10bit is usable in 1080p as well and not just 4K? 

The other thing I am curious about is the IBIS. How does it perform when using non-IS lenses? 

So did a 7hr music video shoot today from 4-11pm  (sunset 7:40pm here)

R5 did see 4k50p drop to 25min a few times, but most of the time is 29.59.

Used another 1 and half battery, and 1 128gb and 1 64gb card, I really need a 256gb sd card for 4k50p.

20201011_171320.jpg

20201011_223058.jpg

1 hour ago, rdouthit said:

I don't mess with goofy modifications or "tricks" to get the camera to work right. 

Some other people don't bother with, though : ) I understand your point but then this camera is not adequate for other than 5.1K mode or under.

Thanks for your response, it clears up my wondering anyway :- )

12 hours ago, Emanuel said:

@rdouthit and @herein2020 what about the overheating mod? Have you tested it intensively?

I already took it back......the whole situation was unbearable for me, I live in a very hot humid climate which is like that 8 months out of the year; I can't wonder before every shoot if the camera will make it through the shoot. I did try pulling the battery once while it was on and changing the date just to see if the timer would add time...but I probably did it in the wrong order or something so it did not work for me.

For my particular situation the R6 simply was not fit for anything but photography. I now own the Panasonic S5 and so far it is amazing in nearly every way.  In case you haven't seen my review, you can read more about it on this thread: