The top 20 most popular cameras of all time on the EOSHD Forum

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The GX85 thread helped me decide to try a 4K camera with IBIS. That lead me to leaving Canon (C100 and 700D) for a GH5, GH5S and GX85 (Hong Kong no recording limit). On the whole I have been happy as although I loved the C100, the Panasonics are a lot lighter and I can carry a 3 camera kit in a back pack.

So that was my favourite thread.

Thats interesting. As a Blackmagic-User it´s no surprise that the Pocket 4K takes the first place, even though I thought that the GH5 would be the "winner" here. The fact that canon is really underrepresented in this list shows a lot. I made the switch from the 550D/T2i to the Blackmagic-Cameras some years ago and never looked back. I do own a Panasonic G70/G7, but more for fun, I don´t really like the ergonomics for Video. Still, your list shows that it´s the smaller formfactor, that is of most interest here on the forum. No RED, no Sony F/FS-, no Canon Cinema, no Ursa Mini, no EVA/Varicam. 

We´ll see how this continues. It´s been a crazy year for Camera-Releases as well.

Superbly informative posting.

If Canon or Nikon have any sort of market research, this is the kind of input that should catch their attention.

Obviously, the old saying applies, that pioneers are the guys who have arrows in their back.

So perhaps EOSHD is just too much on the cutting edge, focused on the unprofitable new developments while Canikon rakes in the chips from the mainstream gear. Even then, they should worry about missing the boat technically. Industry leaders are supposed to lead, not scavenge from other innovators.

Hi, Andrew— just a bystander point of view— is your website due a name change, like Cinema 5D recently did? Also, maybe returning the R5 & starting fresh would be best. I’m not a mental health professional, but seems you have a lot a negative emotions tied to Canon, which are in a downward spiral. If you changed the name to something that is more neutral, perhaps you could move on in a more healthy way— without being associated with aspects of Canon you— and many others— feel  antipathetic to.  Best wishes, whatever life takes you 

A few surprises there.

No A7s but the RX100 makes the list?  Have both, love both but for video?, no contest, the A7s is my all time favourite camera and the RX100 my all time favourite pocket camera.    The little RX100 does have some party tricks though.

It does seem to be two lists in one.

cameras that are good video camera but cheap and top end hybrid cameras.

4/20! I currently rock a GH5S and a Pocket4K, and that’s only because my NX1 is out of commission. I also had a GH5 in the brief window before the S was a thing.

The only thing keeping me from also having an S1H is the autofocus. I’m not upgrading digital bodies until a manufacturer provides full frame open gate with good AF and 13+ stops of DR. Until then, the GH5S and Pocket will do just fine.

If I need top notch DR, I’ll just buy a couple loads of color negative stock and shoot 16mm

Several years ago I discover EOSHD and bought GH2,My first camera photo/video, and Moller 32 anamorphic 2x. 

Since then EOSHD is the main info about independent low budget source. I really enjoy info about cinema, cameras and editor's personal point of view . I respect that. 

Second camera pocket, where is my main videos made. With GH5 , I return to Panasonic, but now working only with P4K.

Long life to EOSHD!

BEST!

11 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Thats interesting. As a Blackmagic-User it´s no surprise that the Pocket 4K takes the first place, even though I thought that the GH5 would be the "winner" here.

Controversial cameras do generate more discussion. Thus no surprise for me that the BMPCC4K is ahead of the GH5. As many people love BMD vs the haters of BMD.

"Tricky" cameras also get more discussion. (what powering system? What memory cards? Just two points of endless discussion for Blackmagic, while for the Panasonic GH5 that is an open and shut case for most)

11 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Still, your list shows that it´s the smaller formfactor, that is of most interest here on the forum. No RED, no Sony F/FS-, no Canon Cinema, no Ursa Mini, no EVA/Varicam. 

Yes, it does reflect that the average person here doesn't use those on a regular basis. 

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Demian said:

I’m not a mental health professional, but seems you have a lot a negative emotions tied to Canon, which are in a downward spiral.

Doctor, doctor. Help me, I'm crazy.

Doctor: What is it Andrew? Divorce? Famine? Starvation? War?

Ah it's just Canon.

Doctor: Ah. Ok.

They keep cripple hammering things.

Doctor: Next patient!

The GX85 is really a superb camera. Panasonic should have just thrown in a mic jack.

Interestingly the OM1D Mark ii has better low light capabilities, for slightly lower dynamic range at the lowest ISO. Panasonic didn't set the ISO levels well for the GH5. Plus, obviously the fact that it lacks Dual ISO. 

The BMD cameras are great for what they do. Only if they  could be slightly more reliable and usable, out of the box. The lack of IBIS and good autofocus could easily be forgiven for them. 

I found EOSHD because of RX100. I participated in this site because of the GX85... even bought a EOSHD Pro Color. Ventured onto Sony FF, regretted every minute, again bought EOSHD Pro Color. Went back to M43 and I'll stay there for the foreseeable future.

IMO, which camera has:

1. best image: S1H, BMPCC 4k
  2. best AF: A7 III
  3. best allrounder (photo and video): GH5, A7 III
  4. best value: GX85
  5. most versatile for its size: Sigma FP

Those are tough choices though and I haven't used all of them. Also, lens selection is probably equally as important when using AF.

I think if the S1H were not so pricy it would actually be higher up on the list...but if it weren't so pricy it probably would not have the features that would stimulate such large numbers of discussion....catch 22.

Hmmmm. 

Love the S1H!

4 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I found EOSHD because of RX100. I participated in this site because of the GX85... even bought a EOSHD Pro Color. Ventured onto Sony FF, regretted every minute, again bought EOSHD Pro Color. Went back to M43 and I'll stay there for the foreseeable future.

IMO, which camera has:

1. best image: S1H, BMPCC 4k
  2. best AF: A7 III
  3. best allrounder (photo and video): GH5, A7 III
  4. best value: GX85
  5. most versatile for its size: Sigma FP

Those are tough choices though and I haven't used all of them. Also, lens selection is probably equally as important when using AF.

One noticeably absent from your list is the Nikon Z6. It is killer good...and easy to use, excellent features, and as good for color as any on the list.

What holds it back? Crazy things: 1. coming late to the party with mirrorless, 2.. not being able to have both Zebras and peaking activated at the same time---who ever heard of that?!?!? It made me crazy. What camera company are FOOLS enough to make you choose between having good exposure or good focus?!? If this camera, with its image and color, had as good a use features as the Fuji X-T4 (or X-H1), i'd have it still.

Why so these companies give us so much that is good---even great, and then deprive us of the things that facilitate our ability to get the best of those great things and cripple ease of use...like not being able to have peaking and zebras simultaneously operative, not being able to punch in while recording to check critical focus...you know the thing.... I really love the Nikon colors and look, and the rock solid dependability...and the stabilization was noticeably better than the A7III (and colors, BY FAR)---but those small but ESSENTIAL things, the lack of which cripple real-world usage eventually made me sell it.

😞

17 hours ago, IronFilm said:

"Tricky" cameras also get more discussion.

Hence the presence of the XC10. Love/hate is not the right term. Joy/disappointment is closer.

I was actually thinking about it last night when browsing C70 threads and I remembered its ingenious twisty grip. But the temporal noise reduction was pants 😭