Body/System recommendation

channing

Been banging around here reading topics for a few days. I own an Oly E-M5 II, 12-40 pro lens, 60 macro and a few others. I haven't had GAS in a long time as it has suited my purposes. Mostly product photos of my own stuff, some landscape photography, bug macros, etc. I have learned to live with the DR for landscapes and some of the other drawbacks of M43. I use pixel shift fairly frequently for product photos when I need the extra detail and I love the IBIS.

Recently, with how marketing has gotten in my industry I have started to get in to video a bit more and am looking at a body upgrade or a system switch.

I have an RX100 VI I have been using lately but as good as the video quality is, it can be irritating for what I need to mostly use it for (close up pans of relatively small objects on a slider or a gimbal, sometimes handheld, sometimes with a slypod and Aircross 2 in concert) and I would like more versatility (especially with focal length, having to stick the RX100 inches from the product at 24mm to get the closest focus is....problematic). The Olympus 1080 quality is kind of meh but I really enjoy it in use as I can just shoot some of the video handheld and it's fine with a little stabilization in post. I'm usually in a hurry!

I'm looking at getting a Panasonic G9 or switching systems to a Nikon Z6. My girlfriend has a bunch of FF Nikon gear including some old MF lenses (Bokina (sharper at 1:1 than my Olympus 60mm for macro, 12mm, etc) so with an FTZ I could get by with just the 24-70 F4 initially. With Panasonic I would probably swap my Oly 12-40 for a Panasonic 12-35 2.8 for the improved AF, keep the 60mm macro + flashes and not really be out much money after selling the e-m5 II with accessories.

I really prefer FF image quality but feel like I would be giving up a good deal for what I primarily do. (better IS, greater DOF at a given shutter speed and aperture, pixel shift, etc)

What would you guys recommend for primarily product video of relatively small objects? The rest of my video needs could probably be met with a cell phone honestly and I will be keeping the RX100 in either case for slow motion/blogging stuff

Should probably add that my girlfriend and I do some paid RE photography + other stuff from time to time.

Photos for attention

14700866_10150703134264996_8110328041561

123_7146.jpg.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, channing said:

I'm looking at getting a Panasonic G9 or switching systems to a Nikon Z6. My girlfriend has a bunch of FF Nikon gear including some old MF lenses (Bokina (sharper at 1:1 than my Olympus 60mm for macro, 12mm, etc) so with an FTZ I could get by with just the 24-70 F4 initially. With Panasonic I would probably swap my Oly 12-40 for a Panasonic 12-35 2.8 for the improved AF, keep the 60mm macro + flashes and not really be out much money after selling the e-m5 II with accessories.

Panasonic G9 (or even Olympus, if you don't mind missing out on 10bit, or wishing to wait/gamble on the future raw video from Olympus??) or Nikon Z5 (yes, I said "Z5", not Z6) are both definitely worth checking out.  Fujifilm are worth taking a look at too, such as X-T3 or X-T4 

Panasonic/Olympus would give you the better bang for your buck. 

G9 should be good for most of your RE photography. There will be times when you wish you had the dynamic range, but if you are good with doing window pulls with flash or HDR (yuch) then you should be ok. 

As for RE video, I know there are several people who shoot with a GH5. I don't know if the the G9 has 10-bit or not. If it does, it can be helpful because you can do better at removing color casts with 10-bit files than you can with 8-bit files. Also if you are in a rush (most RE video shoots are in a rush), and you don't nail white balance, the 10-bit files will certainly help out with that.

I generally shoot FF 4K 30p and slow it down to a 23.976 timeline. But I think that most people would shoot either 4K 60p 8-bit or 1080p 60p 10-bit for the added smoothness on a gimbal. 

2 hours ago, channing said:

Nope, unfortunately not. It was barely used though; ~2k shutter count. They got pricey on ebay over the last couple of weeks. The cheapest BIN used are ~860-920$ right now.

Yeah I don't understand some of the pricing on eBay right now. 
I've been following closely the prices of G7/G85/G9/GH5 for a while, waiting for the big drop. 
The new releases are not doing it. (GH5S? That isn't pushing down the original GH5 prices. G95? Snoozefest! G100? Even worse! The Panasonic L Mount cameras? They're not impacting Panasonic MFT pricing on eBay. Olympus cameras? Ditto)
The biggest economic crisis of our generation is not doing it. 

Not even the slow progress of time is making them depreciate down. As we're seeing some prices pop back up again? 

It isn't making sense. And I'm seeing it with other products too, like I'd have expected to see Lectrosonics SR (especially 600MHz band) drop down to US$700ish each as I was getting them for around that price already last year. But instead, the cheapest on eBay right now is $1K!  

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I don't know if the the G9 has 10-bit or not.

It does. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not even the slow progress of time is making them depreciate down. As we're seeing some prices pop back up again?

I've noticed that too - I bought my G9 about 18 months ago in the UK (new but cheaper than used at the time, due to very generous cashback offer and v.good price from dealer), and used prices have been steady or slowly edging up since then. I suspect due to new camera sales being well down (so fewer trade-ins/private 'upgrade' selling) there is just less used product around to buy which is pushing prices up. It's noticeable that some of the big dealers in the UK have been actively advertising to buy used equipment during the summer, including some selective cash buying offers where normally they would only take trade-ins.

I suspect that used prices on the G9 will only drop substantially when it gets replaced by a new model, but I don't see any sign of that happening any time soon (and it's already a very feature-packed, high performance 'hybrid' m43 camera anyway).

4 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

I suspect that used prices on the G9 will only drop substantially when it gets replaced by a new model, but I don't see any sign of that happening any time soon

Yes, a "G9mk2" won't happen until after the GH6 (perhaps a whole year or longer after a GH6). 

Hard to say, I was also looking at used X-T4 prices and they also seem to have jumped from when I started looking. Might just be the typical retail games, raise prices pre-black friday so they look extra discounted for the hollidays. The firmware update for the G9 might have made it more attractive for certain users.

I've never used a GH5 so I can't compare them as a user of both (I own a G9).

The G9 is supposed to have better C-AF, has better IBIS/EIS,  and it's cheaper.

It does not support the XLR audio adaptor, does not have any 'All-I' codec modes (there is nothing above 150 Mbps), maximum record time is 30 minutes (10 minutes for 4k50p/4k60p) and doesn't have waveform monitors/vectorscopes/shutter angle control (and some other 'professional' video-specific features that are on the GH5).

It gained a range of long-GOP 10 bit, HEVC and high-bitrate 1080p codec modes in the recent firmware updates.

If you need to check for a specific feature etc., it's probably best to download the User Guide and have a read.

Effectively, it has a more stills/less video orientated feature set, but with the same basic video capture quality as the GH5 i.e. excellent 1080p and no-crop 4k up to 60p.

I played with the g9 a good bit (it showed yesterday). I like it, stills are good, video quality is great (though my prev experience is my rx100 vi and e-m5 ii). C-AF in video mode for quick depth changes is meh at least with the olympus lenses I have; The rx100 is sadly better (as is the oly). Overall it will suit my needs. IBIS is pretty nice though for some reason I get more stable results out of the e-m5 ii; probably just grip related as I can palm the whole camera and lens easily.

If I was purely in it for video I would have definitely been looking at the gh5 but I still shoot more stills than not. 

4 hours ago, channing said:

I played with the g9 a good bit (it showed yesterday). I like it, stills are good, video quality is great (though my prev experience is my rx100 vi and e-m5 ii). C-AF in video mode for quick depth changes is meh at least with the olympus lenses I have

Remember that the Panasonic's DFD only works with Panasonic lenses. With Olympus lenses, it falls back to usual contrast detection.

(It is the kind of thing that undermined the m43 system "alliance", and I suspect that they will do the sma with L-mount...)

57 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Remember that the Panasonic's DFD only works with Panasonic lenses. With Olympus lenses, it falls back to usual contrast detection.

(It is the kind of thing that undermined the m43 system "alliance", and I suspect that they will do the sma with L-mount...)

Yeah, I am waiting to see how much I like the G9 overall; once I am 100% certain I will swap my Olympus pro zooms for Panasonic equivalents.