Olympus announces new firmware development to allow RAW video on the E-M1X and E-M1III

IronFilm

The rumor that Panasonic might be re-structuring LUMIX is interesting. I don’t see it necessarily a bad thing, really. If they are getting out of cameras, so be it. The market is imploding. I don’t blame them.

But they mention about partnering with unknown company for collaboration in expanding into the video space more with LUMIX. Who would that be? My guesses: Nokia or JIP/Olympus. JIP already saying they want to pivot to pro video...could be something there. I don’t know...I wonder if JIP gets a portion of the Olympus patents too related to OM-D cameras? Maybe JIP is willing to strike a deal with Panasonic in exchange for PDAF to help them with their “pro video ambitions”? Certainly Panasonic doesn’t see JIP as a threat to their own market.

They are already have a relationship with Leica. Not sure what they could do there expect bring out some luxury leica branded video beast. Leica color and aethsetics and Panasonic internals? That’s what they did with the S1R and SL2.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

The rumor that Panasonic might be re-structuring LUMIX is interesting. I don’t see it necessarily a bad thing, really. If they are getting out of cameras, so be it. The market is imploding. I don’t blame them.

But they mention about partnering with unknown company for collaboration in expanding into the video space more with LUMIX. Who would that be? My guesses: Nokia or JIP/Olympus. JIP already saying they want to pivot to pro video...could be something there. I don’t know...I wonder if JIP gets a portion of the Olympus patents too related to OM-D cameras? Maybe JIP is willing to strike a deal with Panasonic in exchange for PDAF to help them with their “pro video ambitions”? Certainly Panasonic doesn’t see JIP as a threat to their own market.

They are already have a relationship with Leica. Not sure what they could do there expect bring out some luxury leica branded video beast. Leica color and aethsetics and Panasonic internals? That’s what they did with the S1R and SL2.

This will certainly be interesting over the next few months. Olympus had been out-selling Panasonic in 2019 by a fair margin. And really, I'd love to see a Panasonic Lumix/Olympus merger for MFT. I do find it curious that Panasonic made that PR statement. Could it be related to Olympus? There does seem to be some sort of timing issue. Maybe since the JIP/Olympus thing went through, now Panasonic is willing to also sell to JIP. This would combine tech from the two companies and consumers would potentially win. Then we might be going off the deep end of wishful thinking.

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Olympus were only outselling Panasonic in Japan according to what I've seen, and only with cheap cameras sold in high quantities... not in the pro market.

This is what a popular photography website reported, who got these numbers elsewhere. No breakdown on "pro" vs "consumer", but that's a fairly blurry line these days. Also, I believe these numbers are worldwide (too high for 128m people in Japan?)... analysis only includes Japanese brands.

Here’s how many mirrorless cameras the top brands shipped in 2019:

Sony: 1.65 million
Canon: 940,000
Fujifilm: 500,000
Olympus: 330,000
Nikon: 280,000
Others: 240,000

3 minutes ago, maxmizer said:

Attention.....not to confuse the owner of the technology and the manufacturer ...
for example see Apple ...

You're saying Canon owns their sensor tech, but simply pass it off to Sony (as Apple does Foxconn)? Seems reasonable. But here, we're talking about why Panasonic cannot/won't add PDAF technology. Do you have the answer?

5 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

You're saying Canon owns their sensor tech, but simply pass it off to Sony (as Apple does Foxconn)? Seems reasonable. But here, we're talking about why Panasonic cannot/won't add PDAF technology. Do you have the answer?

Sony and Panasonic for historical reasons hate each other to death ... you should study the history of the rivalry to understand why Panasonic will never have some of Sony's technologies ...
If Sony says No it's No !!!
At least they don't change their minds !!!

11 minutes ago, maxmizer said:

Sony and Panasonic for historical reasons hate each other to death ... you should study the history of the rivalry to understand why Panasonic will never have some of Sony's technologies ...
If Sony says No it's No !!!
At least they don't change their minds !!!

If what you say is true about Sony, I'd be inclined to believe  the Panasonic/Olympus to Newco rumor we've just started. It's important to remember Sony digital cameras are not part of their sensor division. Also, your premise is that no amount of money could change this... that's not how capitalism works.

6 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

If what you say is true about Sony, I'd be inclined to believe  the Panasonic/Olympus to Newco rumor we've just started. It's important to remember Sony digital cameras are not part of their sensor division.

None...

Olympus, jtd (see Vaio) ... or other companies are part of the Sony galaxy ...
You lack important information about the past and financial aspects.
sorry

2 minutes ago, maxmizer said:

None...

Olympus, jtd (see Vaio) ... or other companies are part of the Sony galaxy ...
You lack important information about the past and financial aspects.
sorry

Sony sold their stock in Olympus. Show proof of the contrary. I might not be a company insider like you, just using common sense. Better ways to spend my time than reading nerdy reports! Are you saying no amount of money from Panasonic to Sony would allow them to put PDAF in their cameras?

9 hours ago, John Matthews said:

This is what a popular photography website reported, who got these numbers elsewhere. No breakdown on "pro" vs "consumer", but that's a fairly blurry line these days. Also, I believe these numbers are worldwide (too high for 128m people in Japan?)... analysis only includes Japanese brands.

Here’s how many mirrorless cameras the top brands shipped in 2019:

Sony: 1.65 million
Canon: 940,000
Fujifilm: 500,000
Olympus: 330,000
Nikon: 280,000
Others: 240,000

Olympus now gone. Nikon bumbled D6. AP going Sony only.

I think its a toss up between Panasonic and Nikon exiting. Nikon would be a bigger deal.

I’m still leaning towards Canon to actually buy my next camera from. With C70, C50, R5.

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Olympus now gone. Nikon bumbled D6. AP going Sony only.

I think its a toss up between Panasonic and Nikon exiting. Nikon would be a bigger deal.

I’m still leaning towards Canon to actually buy my next camera from. With C70, C50, R5.

I'm not going to give up on M43... I'd rather roll with used bodies for the foreseeable future. Don't like Sony, Canon, Fujifilm for various reasons. If Panasonic is "dead", you might as well say Nikon is too. Come to think of it, what else do I want that used Olympus doesn't already offer? Now, they've got RAW (actually, I don't need that), great used bodies and tons of lenses on the market. I'm quite happy. Some will say they're behind, but I don't see in the final product or even usability.

42 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

I'm not going to give up on M43... I'd rather roll with used bodies for the foreseeable future. Don't like Sony, Canon, Fujifilm for various reasons. If Panasonic is "dead", you might as well say Nikon is too. Come to think of it, what else do I want that used Olympus doesn't already offer? Now, they've got RAW (actually, I don't need that), great used bodies and tons of lenses on the market. I'm quite happy. Some will say they're behind, but I don't see in the final product or even usability.

I haven’t given up on MFT. I have several thousand dollars in MFT glass. I will probably buy a GH6 if it is released. I will probably pick up a EM1.3 or a EM5.3 eventually.

If I was to buy a FF camera I would prefer a Panasonic LUMIX since they are great cameras, but the latest AF is so good on the R5 and A7SIII that I would prefer a FF camera with AF. So unless Panasonic magically fixes their AF then its between Canon and Sony and I’m leaning Canon because I find the C70 and C50 interesting as video centric cameras and the R5 with all its flaws does have a great image. Hopefully they will sort out the terrible cripple BS they did to it (or give us something that isn’t crippled).

I owned a A7III and that camera didn’t bring me any joy or excitement when I picked it up. I don’t know how to explain it. And I was one of the lucky ones to get one early because they were sold out for months! So Sony has technical chops but their camera’s just don’t speak to me. I’m crazy, I guess.

But then I remember the world is literally and figuratively on fire and my business has been affected heavily and I stop thinking about spending money on new toys.

12 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Sony sold their stock in Olympus. Show proof of the contrary. I might not be a company insider like you, just using common sense. Better ways to spend my time than reading nerdy reports! Are you saying no amount of money from Panasonic to Sony would allow them to put PDAF in their cameras?

what you say about the 5% sold by Sony is a marginal issue ... the exit from the share capital was imposed on him ...
I'm just saying that Olympus is in the Sony galaxy and well accepted, while Panasonic No .. for many reasons ..

yes no amount of money

8 hours ago, maxmizer said:

what you say about the 5% sold by Sony is a marginal issue ... the exit from the share capital was imposed on him ...
I'm just saying that Olympus is in the Sony galaxy and well accepted, while Panasonic No .. for many reasons ..

yes no amount of money

They used to be in that "galaxy", not any more, even less with JIP. Sony sold 100% of their stock in Olympus. Just search for it. "Sorry". 

It looks like you lack key information to call out other people and try to make yourself like the all-knowing guru/historian of the camera industry. We're all idiots in comparison.

BTW, Japanese companies still work in a system called "capitalism"- it's not some karate dojo where they fight for honor!

On 9/19/2020 at 12:28 AM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Problem is that the "H" in "GH" is from "Hybrid", AFAIK. Albeit focused in video, the tradition it is that it would be a good stills camera too. That's why they derived it with the S.

I'm not obsessed over megapickles, I feel that if everything else is still excellent then a 12MP camera can still be a solid stills hybrid camera too. 

On 9/19/2020 at 1:09 AM, John Matthews said:

If this is true, it's a sad state of affaires. Personally, I doubt they'd impose that sort of thing- a highly monopolistic move. And why would Sony say it's fine for Fuji, Nikon, and Canon? Would they actually be THAT scared of MFT?

The GH5 has indeed been their biggest competitor to their a7Smk2.

On 9/19/2020 at 1:09 AM, John Matthews said:

I think Panasonic has invested too much in their contrast system that they can't turn back.

How bad would Panasonic's first generation PDAF be? Vs how good their current autofocus (which is getting pretty decent with the Panasonic G9) would be in a couple more generations?

Does make much sense for Panasonic to go after PDAF, even if that was an option Sony(Canon?) would allow them to take. 

On 9/19/2020 at 10:17 AM, Video Hummus said:

I can’t! The fact that every single camera they release people say its great but I want PDAF and Panasonic just ignores their feedback? They have lost tens of millions of dollars because their cameras AF can’t keep up. I don’t believe they are stupid or stubborn anymore.

They have some history of being stubborn / being "proud";  for years, Olympus had their IBIS, with Panasonic customers claiming an IBIS too, and the Panasonic response was always "we don't need IBIS, OIS is a superior estabilization method, optimized for each lens, yada yada yada...".

They were not alone saying that - Canon always made the same remarks on the past, Fuji even said on  the record that "the X-mount could not support IBIS"...until it became a very high desirable item by popular claim.

Then Panasonic started using it with the GX7 (only for stills); and right after they probably figured out that they could sell MORE Panasonic lenses with OIS coupling together the IBIS and OIS (the Dual IS system), and they gone all-in in IBIS.

I hope that PDAF could be the same story - in fact, DFD is kind of the same, since it only works in Panasonic lenses in MFT...