Olympus announces new firmware development to allow RAW video on the E-M1X and E-M1III

IronFilm

image.png.03418b24167597d7722a775e74a619e1.png

Press text:

FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FOR RAW VIDEO DATA OUTPUT

Olympus is pleased to announce development for firmware that enables output of RAW video data from the Olympus OM-D E-M1X and Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III mirrorless cameras to the ATOMOS NINJA V HDR monitor recorder. Data will be recorded to the ATOMOS NINJA V as Apple ProRes RAW for flexible image editing. This lends greater flexibility to professional video production post-processing tasks, such as adjusting exposure and color grading recorded footage. The firmware is being developed in collaboration with ATOMOS and is scheduled for release in Winter 2020.

Olympus will continue to support professional video production via hand-held high-definition video recording with their compact lightweight system, thanks to its unrivaled portability and powerful in-body 5-Axis Image Stabilization with 5-Axis Sync IS capabilities.

Seems like JIP running Olympus imaging isn't such a bad thing eh?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, Thomas Hill said:

Back in February, they had the lightest 6 core laptop, fwiw.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/6/21126718/vaio-sx12-laptop-six-cores-light-ultrabook

Actually I did see that - also it is probably the only laptop with a VGA port...

Still my question remains - has anyone actually seen a Vaio laptop in the last 5 years? Or is it all some Sony vaporware graveyard?

Well I, for one, am pretty excited about this, went out and ordered the Mark III today. I was heartbroken to hear about the sale of Olympus, especially as I owned an E-M1 ii for quite some time and loved everything about it except that 8bit codec... so having just sold my X-T4, I pretty excited for this, even if it turns out to be Olympus’s last hurrah.

20 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

Well I, for one, am pretty excited about this, went out and ordered the Mark III today. I was heartbroken to hear about the sale of Olympus, especially as I owned an E-M1 ii for quite some time and loved everything about it except that 8bit codec... so having just sold my X-T4, I pretty excited for this, even if it turns out to be Olympus’s last hurrah.

The 8 bit doesn't bug me, especially when I have to carry an external recorder to get the 10bit. However, I'm VERY curious to know how the E-M1 III will perform with its (non) log and flat profiles. Also, will JIP take it further? All speculation at this point. Please post video of the 10 bit when you get a chance!

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

I guess I am getting incredibly cynical in my old age. 

JIPinc just seems to be another asset stripping hedge fund dressed up in a PR cloud....

1179906904_ClipboardImage(104).thumb.jpg.322deffbb3afd42c5597b0a26618116c.jpg

Don't be cynical unless you have good reason. Sure, JIP is an investment firm- this is what Olympus should do when it can't make it work (for whatever reason). Would you prefer those close it down? One more opportunity is a good thing, regardless. Speaking of opportunities, JIP has a serious one if they can get pro-video results from their PDAF cameras; this announcement is a step in the right direction, granted it's not from JIP officially yet. Also, JIP won't have a cinema line to protect like Canon, Sony, Panasonic, etc. Nikon has its head so far up its keister that will be dead or irrelevant IMO. I'll be a cheerleader for JIP until I they produce crap.

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

The 8 bit doesn't bug me, especially when I have to carry an external recorder to get the 10bit. However, I'm VERY curious to know how the E-M1 III will perform with its (non) log and flat profiles. Also, will JIP take it further? All speculation at this point. Please post video of the 10 bit when you get a chance!

Well, there’s no 10bit coming out of the Mark III- with or without an external recorder- just 8bit, so I’ll just have to wait for the raw update come winter to see how it looks.

Looking back on the announcement for this firmware update, they say "RAW" video data". I assumed it was 10 bit... or is it 12 bit as Apple Prores RAW is 12 bit? I know regular Prores is 10 bit. I guess Olympus (non) LOG or flat profile anything wouldn't come into play because that would require interpretation of the processor where as RAW goes straight to the HDMI recording device. Clearly, I've never used one, but just trying to understand.

On 9/16/2020 at 2:26 PM, Robert Collins said:

JIPinc just seems to be another asset stripping hedge fund dressed up in a PR cloud....

It is because the employment laws in Japan are far far too strict for Olympus to do anything about reforming their imaging division to save it while in a permanently declining market. 

I still have an em1mkiii and the three Pro prime lenses. It’s a buggy camera and I’ve had issues with it locking up on me. I’ve stopped using it for that reason. Hopefully firmware will solve those issues. I think Panasonic made a bad move going to full frame. They should have just embraced m43 and dominated the space and that in turn would help boost Olympus. With cameras like the XT3 being only $999 now I don’t see a point in the Oly anymore. The ibis and colors are great but low light is bad and video features are lackluster. Maybe we will see some firmware updates that will add more video features... but for the price... I don’t see why anyone would go for the EM1 anymore. Not to mention the EM1X. That camera is way too expensive. 

I don’t know... just my thoughts. Loved Olympus for a while. Still love them... but it’s starting to seem a little outdated at this point. 

On 9/16/2020 at 10:45 AM, Brian Williams said:

Well, there’s no 10bit coming out of the Mark III- with or without an external recorder- just 8bit, so I’ll just have to wait for the raw update come winter to see how it looks.

Could you share the source for this? Also, is it a hardware or software restriction. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is because the employment laws in Japan are far far too strict for Olympus to do anything about reforming their imaging division to save it while in a permanently declining market. 

Absolutely right. Japan has very strict retrenchment laws, unlike many parts of the world, where you go for lunch, and you're fired before your return. In Japan, apparently, employers can be expected fo pay what seems reasonable, and 6-9 months are often seen as reasonable. The issue is also non existence of exact rules and judgments, most of which are in favour of employees. Which is great to be honest. Company CEOs, MDs etc have way greater responsibilities, especially considering they earn as much as hundreds, and sometimes thousands of workers. Plus, they get some serious severance packages, whenever they exit.

Maybe they could consider down scaling people salaries across the board, starting with the top management.

Smartphones have shown that camera companies (ILC makers in particular) are innovating at a much slower pace than people want, and that products should be made with greater awareness of customers. 

4 hours ago, sanveer said:

Could you share the source for this? Also, is it a hardware or software restriction. 

It’s on the product page for the camera as well as every review, the clean hdmi output is 8bit; not saying this couldn’t change in the future, maybe they could change this in a firmware update, but wasn’t mentioned and I doubt they’d bother adding it if they are focusing on Ninja V raw output.

9 hours ago, Dave Maze said:

I think Panasonic made a bad move going to full frame. They should have just embraced m43 and dominated the space

They still can dominate the space if they play it right.

Release a GH6 like everybody expects. Give it insane specs and decent price and it will be hard to ignore for anybody that has MFT lenses. HFR 6K and 4K modes. Something crazy like 6K120p or internal NDs. If they add PDAF in there then for sure it will be a huge hit. MFT or S35 sensor whatever gets the job done and still has IBIS or IBIS alternative (gyrobased digital stabilization or something better).

Competing in the photo department against FF is harder. But I think they should still release a photo centric MFT model that can win over any Olympus refugees and bring new computational photography features and enhancing existing technologies like 8K photo mode, live composite, hi-res handheld and tripod composite photos.

They need to do something also to boost DR for MFT sensors to help them compete. Dual Gain ISO has helped with low light performance. Maybe this won’t happen until shrink their organic sensor tech for mirrorless.

9 hours ago, Dave Maze said:

I still have an em1mkiii and the three Pro prime lenses. It’s a buggy camera and I’ve had issues with it locking up on me. I’ve stopped using it for that reason.

Both my EM1X and EM1mkIII have been solid — and I shoot with them almost every day, all day both video and stills. Never even a hiccup. The problem might be specific to your camera.  

2 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

It’s on the product page for the camera as well as every review, the clean hdmi output is 8bit; not saying this couldn’t change in the future, maybe they could change this in a firmware update, but wasn’t mentioned and I doubt they’d bother adding it if they are focusing on Ninja V raw output.

Can confirm. I checked the output of both my cameras with a PIX-E5 and they’re 8-bit from HDMI.