Olympus gate crashes party, after passing into coma?

sanveer

"Olympus announces new firmware development to allow RAW video on the E-M1X and E-M1III."

I couldn't believe what I saw. Olympus doesn't have 10-bit internal, and yet they jump to ProRed RAW via HDMI directly? Wow. Seems almost surrealistic. Now sure how most people would see this as something huge. Hopefully Olympus camera prices crash some more, before the RAW is released. 

https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-announces-new-firmware-development-to-allow-raw-video-on-the-e-m1x-and-e-m1iii/#disqus_thread

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, sanveer said:

"Olympus announces new firmware development to allow RAW video on the E-M1X and E-M1III."

I couldn't believe what I saw. Olympus doesn't have 10-bit internal, and yet they jump to ProRed RAW via HDMI directly? Wow. Seems almost surrealistic. Now sure how most people would see this as something huge. Hopefully Olympus camera prices crash some more, before the RAW is released. 

https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-announces-new-firmware-development-to-allow-raw-video-on-the-e-m1x-and-e-m1iii/#disqus_thread

Probably sending a 10-bit raw signal through HDMI is less processor intensive that recording 10-bit internal - codecs are not the Olympus strenghts.
And since Atomos is doing that with a lot of cameras, the process probably is kind of simple to implement - hence Olympus don't have to spend much to implement, or no spending at all; it is Atomos's interest to implement and sell more monitors.

1 hour ago, rdouthit said:

Great! Though I'd prefer 40/60p and 10bit internal. (EM1X and EM1 Mk III owner.)

I'm sure they can do all this and more.  I find it strange though that they are finally upping their video game _after_ being sold.  Also, I'd like them to have similar firmware for all their cameras like the continuous bounding-boxes for face-detect focus while recording.  That feature is not on the E-M5iii.

I was thinking today, that those Olympus cameras could do so much more.  They should open-source the firmware - ha ha.

3 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Probably sending a 10-bit raw signal through HDMI is less processor intensive that recording 10-bit internal - codecs are not the Olympus strenghts.
And since Atomos is doing that with a lot of cameras, the process probably is kind of simple to implement - hence Olympus don't have to spend much to implement, or no spending at all; it is Atomos's interest to implement and sell more monitors.

Yes. Also, I think it may also have to do with bandwidth. 

3 hours ago, rdouthit said:

Great! Though I'd prefer 40/60p and 10bit internal. (EM1X and EM1 Mk III owner.)

If it can shoot at 60fps for photo bursts, I am sure it is capable of 60p for video. 

I also feel, the 10-bit internal video and 9ther video features appear like some Sony licence agreement restrictions. Maybe the ProRes RAW is the simplest way to circumvent this licence agreement restriction.