Panasonic EVA-2 Wish List

currensheldon

11 hours ago, currensheldon said:

No news here, it seems. Canon and Sony have put out about a dozen cinema cameras since the EVA-1.

Remember the Panasonic Varicam S35 is even older than the EVA1, and it still has seen no new release to replace it. 

But then again, they're still seeing usage! I'm about to start this week on a popular tv series shooting this season with 3x Panasonic Varicam S35 cameras. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Remember the Panasonic Varicam S35 is even older than the EVA1, and it still has seen no new release to replace it. 

But then again, they're still seeing usage! I'm about to start this week on a popular tv series shooting this season with 3x Panasonic Varicam S35 cameras. 

That's true. But it does seem those higher end models are less inclined to be a part of the spec race. Venice, C700, Arris, etc often can't match some of the spec-race cameras (8k, 6k, raw out, 120fps! ,etc), but just have superior IQ (which they do), so maybe the Varicam doesn't need to be updated in the same way as the EVA-1 does. But right now, the EVA-2 needs to get in the under $10k game with an L-Mount so Panasonic can start making money on lenses. And give S1/S1H owners more expansion options.

With that said, I think the EVA-2 needs to be feature-packed. Though i don't need more than 4k at the moment, I think the solidly just 4k cameras FX6/FX9/C70/C300 gives Panasonic an opportunity to leapfrog them in some areas. 

We'll see but looking forward to seeing it. 

9 hours ago, currensheldon said:

That's true. But it does seem those higher end models are less inclined to be a part of the spec race. Venice, C700, Arris, etc often can't match some of the spec-race cameras (8k, 6k, raw out, 120fps! ,etc), but just have superior IQ (which they do), so maybe the Varicam doesn't need to be updated in the same way as the EVA-1 does. But right now, the EVA-2 needs to get in the under $10k game with an L-Mount so Panasonic can start making money on lenses. And give S1/S1H owners more expansion options.

Since the Varicam S35 / LT has came out, all of Canon / Sony / ARRI / BMD / RED have released (multiple! Each) cinema cameras.

So yes, their refresh cycle is slower at the high end, but still, Panasonic is slipping behind. 

• 4 months later...

With the EVA-1 thread popping up, I thought it would be a good time to revisit this thread since I would think Panasonic would have some cinema cameras coming out this fall.

All of the above comments remain true about needing a feature-packed EVA-2, but, as I mentioned in the other thread, I think Panasonic now should completely change their approach from a "more professional FS5" like they did with the EVA-1 and instead do something that none of the other major manufacturers are doing.

They should replicate what they did with the BGH-1 but with a full-frame sensor and cutting edge tech and give us a full-frame modular camera. Z Cam and the Komodo have proved that people like this approach as it's easy to rig up, great for flying on gimbals and drones, and very, very versatile. 

But it has to include internal NDs and XLRs, which the other brands don't include.

I've almost bought a BGH1 a few times because I just love the concept. But all my lenses are full-frame. Come on Panny.

32 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

With the EVA-1 thread popping up, I thought it would be a good time to revisit this thread since I would think Panasonic would have some cinema cameras coming out this fall.

All of the above comments remain true about needing a feature-packed EVA-2, but, as I mentioned in the other thread, I think Panasonic now should completely change their approach from a "more professional FS5" like they did with the EVA-1 and instead do something that none of the other major manufacturers are doing.

They should replicate what they did with the BGH-1 but with a full-frame sensor and cutting edge tech and give us a full-frame modular camera. Z Cam and the Komodo have proved that people like this approach as it's easy to rig up, great for flying on gimbals and drones, and very, very versatile. 

But it has to include internal NDs and XLRs, which the other brands don't include.

I've almost bought a BGH1 a few times because I just love the concept. But all my lenses are full-frame. Come on Panny.

I agree. It doesn't need to be as small as the BGH1 but I agree no need to make it bigger than it needs to be. I think full frame is a must, its definitely the preferred sensor size for the market the EVA1 falls into. A raw module made for the camera to capture prores RAW would be nice. I wouldn't mind if they went with an easily mountable V mount battery module too. 

Right now there is a spot to fill for a $6,000 full frame 6k camera. The FX6 takes the 4k spot, the RED Komodo is 6k but S35 and no ND's, the C70 is 4k and S35. The Z-cam F6 is 6k but its not as run and gun friendly as an EVA2 could be. The EVA1 just feels overpriced now considering you can get a full frame S1 or S5 for under 2k. 

I hope they don't go the 8k route, I just don't see the point outside of hype. 

5 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

I agree. It doesn't need to be as small as the BGH1 but I agree no need to make it bigger than it needs to be. I think full frame is a must, its definitely the preferred sensor size for the market the EVA1 falls into. A raw module made for the camera to capture prores RAW would be nice. I wouldn't mind if they went with an easily mountable V mount battery module too. 

Right now there is a spot to fill for a $6,000 full frame 6k camera. The FX6 takes the 4k spot, the RED Komodo is 6k but S35 and no ND's, the C70 is 4k and S35. The Z-cam F6 is 6k but its not as run and gun friendly as an EVA2 could be. The EVA1 just feels overpriced now considering you can get a full frame S1 or S5 for under 2k. 

I hope they don't go the 8k route, I just don't see the point outside of hype. 

Agree with all of this. A new $10-15k Varicam LT should compete with FX9/C300/C500, but they really should put out a $5-7k box style camera unlike anything else right now (what the S1H should have been, frankly). Agreed, They should also ditch the external recording monitors and just do it through USB-C like the Sigma FP. That’s a huuuuge difference to recording raw. 

definitely a space for a 6k full frame model with all the bells and whistles (NDs, XLR) in that space. Let’s hope they fill it. 

18 hours ago, currensheldon said:

While this would be nice, it would be a fairly niche approach. 
The low/mid end of the professional market wants something that has similar (or more!) power than a FS7 but is compact like a FS5. (for instance: FX6 & C70. Both of which are already compact enough for gimbals/drones)

That is where the bulk of the sales are, and where it makes sense to target. 

Komoda makes sense because "modular" is RED's entire DNA, that's what they do! (although even RED realizes this isn't necessarily what the market wants, thus they've for instance brought out the various flavors of RED Ranger)

Z Cam is taking this approach themselves because: 1) it is lower cost than making a more fully featured camera & 2) they're very small time players thus need to try targeting a different niche to get a toehold initially

Panasonic has the reputation, history, size, experience, and brand name to be able to take on directly FX6/C70/C300mk3. But they need to do it now, not in four years time. 

17 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Agree with all of this. A new $10-15k Varicam LT should compete with FX9/C300/C500, but they really should put out a $5-7k box style camera unlike anything else right now (what the S1H should have been, frankly).

Feel that Varicam LT mk2 should aim for half that price, or at least a good 25% less. Needs to be undercutting C300mk3/FX9, and not be priced up at the C500mk2 end. Because that price bracket between FX9 and ARRI Mini is "no mans land", it's tough for a camera to survive there.