Panasonic EVA-2 Wish List

currensheldon

On 10/13/2020 at 2:20 PM, currensheldon said:

Has there been any mention of EVA-2? What is Panasonic doing?

Where is their L-Mount, full-frame, highly-specced video camera to compete C300 III, FX9, FX6, C70, and Komodo? Just put the S1H sensor in an EVA-1 like body (hopefully a bit smaller), add in 120fps in 4k, ProRes Raw over HDMI/SDI, and get on with it. 

Yeah this.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wonder if the EVA-2 with L-Mount will have similar specs to this (probably impossible until 2022) S1H upgrade: https://www.panasonicff.com/rumors-panasonic-lumix-s1v-l-mount-cinema-camera-coming/

I personally would rather have great 4k (codec options, frame rates, raw, low light, etc) than 6k or 8k. These specs below would be excellent.

SPECS:
Panasonic VARICAM Look
11.8MP Full Frame CMOS Sensor
Dual native ISO WDR
OFPD Enhanced DFD Autofocus
4K @ 96p 3:2 OpenGate
4K @ 120p DCI 4K
4K @ 160p 2.39:1

12 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Wonder if the EVA-2 with L-Mount will have similar specs to this (probably impossible until 2022) S1H upgrade: https://www.panasonicff.com/rumors-panasonic-lumix-s1v-l-mount-cinema-camera-coming/

I personally would rather have great 4k (codec options, frame rates, raw, low light, etc) than 6k or 8k. These specs below would be excellent.

SPECS:
Panasonic VARICAM Look
11.8MP Full Frame CMOS Sensor
Dual native ISO WDR
OFPD Enhanced DFD Autofocus
4K @ 96p 3:2 OpenGate
4K @ 120p DCI 4K
4K @ 160p 2.39:1

Only 4k ... they go nowhere ...  out that it is already old

16 hours ago, maxmizer said:

They are making another mistake!

I personally love the sensor. Its got higher frame rate capabilities than the A73 type sensor that every full frame is using now. For photographers its kind of a bummer but the S1V will be video oriented anyways. 

On 10/22/2020 at 11:53 PM, TomTheDP said:

I personally love the sensor. Its got higher frame rate capabilities than the A73 type sensor that every full frame is using now. For photographers its kind of a bummer but the S1V will be video oriented anyways. 

Yes I agree, but they already have S1H

On 10/24/2020 at 2:19 AM, maxmizer said:

Yes I agree, but they already have S1H

The S1H specs are already outdated. They shouldn't have rushed the S1H out IMHO. Its the same sensor as the S1. They should have just gave higher specs to the S1 and waited. 

The S1H is too heavy for the specs it has. 420 H265 4k 60p cropped and 120 hd. The Fuji has that at 1/4th the price and half the weight. Plus its 420 not 422. 

How is the s1h outdated?? Last I looked, movies were shot at 24fps, tv at 25 or 30 depending on region, and in most cases still delivered interlaced. If theater quality still means something, it’s still finished as 2k.

If on Netflix, Amazon or similar, I’ll concede the bump to 4k is a “given” but it’s still 24p, 25 or 30.

How any of that is outdating the s1h?

1 hour ago, elgabogomez said:

How is the s1h outdated?? Last I looked, movies were shot at 24fps, tv at 25 or 30 depending on region, and in most cases still delivered interlaced. If theater quality still means something, it’s still finished as 2k.

If on Netflix, Amazon or similar, I’ll concede the bump to 4k is a “given” but it’s still 24p, 25 or 30.

How any of that is outdating the s1h?

Because the A7s3 does 5x the frame rate. They are now going to release an S1V probably at the same price point as the S1H. I mean at this point Panasonic is just riding Sony’s coat tails as they get all their sensors from them. 

2 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Because the A7s3 does 5x the frame rate. They are now going to release an S1V probably at the same price point as the S1H. I mean at this point Panasonic is just riding Sony’s coat tails as they get all their sensors from them. 

4K high framerates and auto-focus aside, the S1H objectively delivers a better image on the whole. A7SIII still suffers from substandard color fidelity and baked in noise reduction that wrecks detail. The way i look at it is that the S1H excels at the minimum specs that i consider essential, while the A7SIII excels at some specialty operations, but doesn't meet important specs I consider essential. I was hopeful that the A7SIII would surpass the S1H but there are base operations that have to be met before I can get excited about 4k 120p (which is overkill for most situations, anyway. I find b-roll captured at 48-72fps more useful in the edit). I usually have to speed up 120fps for pacing.

20 hours ago, IronFilm said:

But it is time for a S1Hmk2/S1V!

I don't know, it seems too soon ...
At least that ... they don't build something with S35 sensor, at least 8k, formfactor type bgh1 ...

then they would have diversified the product and would bring themselves back in line with their competitors.
Price above 5k

11 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

4K high framerates and auto-focus aside, the S1H objectively delivers a better image on the whole. A7SIII still suffers from substandard color fidelity and baked in noise reduction that wrecks detail. The way i look at it is that the S1H excels at the minimum specs that i consider essential, while the A7SIII excels at some specialty operations, but doesn't meet important specs I consider essential. I was hopeful that the A7SIII would surpass the S1H but there are base operations that have to be met before I can get excited about 4k 120p (which is overkill for most situations, anyway. I find b-roll captured at 48-72fps more useful in the edit). I usually have to speed up 120fps for pacing.

I'd agree. Color is defiantly better than Sony however after using Z-cam I find the Panny colors a bit subpar as well.

I know the S1/S1H sensor is capable of 4K 60p 422 as well as 4k 120p. Z-cam is doing it. The S1H body is plenty big with fans, so I wouldn't think cooling would be the issue. Of course they are still great cameras I just don't understand the limitations. 

On 10/26/2020 at 8:14 AM, TomTheDP said:

I'd agree. Color is defiantly better than Sony however after using Z-cam I find the Panny colors a bit subpar as well.

I know the S1/S1H sensor is capable of 4K 60p 422 as well as 4k 120p. Z-cam is doing it. The S1H body is plenty big with fans, so I wouldn't think cooling would be the issue. Of course they are still great cameras I just don't understand the limitations. 

haha! yeah, I love my Z-Cam F6. it's amazing in so many ways.

Just adding 120fps in 4k on the S1H would put it right back at the top of the heap specs-wise. It would have 6k ProRes Raw over the A7sIII and tons more usability over it and the R5 (with better XLR adapter than Sony, timecode, zero overheating, etc). Plus, 6k ProRes Raw is wayyyyyyyy easier to work with than the R5's 8k raw and the IQ difference is probably negligible. No real need for Panasonic to put out another mirrorless body - something like the C70, with internal NDs, more cinema style body, integrated XLRs, etc on the other hand would be AWESOME. 

The S1H specs (full frame, 6k, dual ISO, IBIS, timecode) with the C70-like cine style layout + internal raw and 120fps would be amazing. Again, probably more likely in an EVA-2 (minus the IBIS) and will be bigger than C70, but would still be great to have.