Magic Lantern 3.3k 16:9 RAW now with real time preview

hyalinejim

On 9/22/2020 at 7:29 PM, Anaconda_ said:

Sorry to quote you again, but there's a new test build with complete realtime preview, non-cropped for 5k modes now. I just shot 2 minutes of 16:9 12bit raw without any dropped frames. I could see my framing perfectly as though I was using a native camera mode... almost. 

There's currently some scattered lines at the bottom of the LCD screen. It's not distracting, and they're working on it. but seriously, I would advise you to use this build. I just used the 5k anamorphic 16:9 frtp preset and laughed at how good it was.

https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip_hop_git/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2020Sep21.EOSM202_frtp.zip 

Dealing with a broken ribbon cable and smudge on the sensor at the moment. I'll look at it again another time.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9/14/2020 at 6:08 AM, Emanuel said:

@ZEEK where are you man? Your level of expertise is required over here :- )

My bad, I haven't been on this forum in a while...
Been digested in the Magic Lantern Forum, and soon going to buy the P Lumix S5 😉

For the EOS M ML RAW Modes, Jip-hop a while back posted the calculations of how the modes compare relative to the width of a full frame sensor (The Crop Factor).
1080 RAW Mode [1736x976] = 1.6x Crop Aps-c
1080 RAW Mode + x3 Crop Mode Enabled 1800px wide = 4.61x Crop (1.6x * 2.88x) 
2.5K RAW Mode @2.35:1 = 3.29x Crop (1.6 * 2.06) 
2.8K RAW Mode @2.35:1 = 2.96x Crop (1.6 * 1.85) - (Closest mode to Super16 or the BMPCC FOV)

EOS M sensor size: 22.3 x 14.9 mm
EOS M sensor width: 5184px

54 minutes ago, ZEEK said:

For the EOS M ML RAW Modes, Jip-hop a while back posted the calculations of how the modes compare relative to the width of a full frame sensor (The Crop Factor).
1080 RAW Mode [1736x976] = 1.6x Crop Aps-c
1080 RAW Mode + x3 Crop Mode Enabled 1800px wide = 4.61x Crop (1.6x * 2.88x) 
2.5K RAW Mode @2.35:1 = 3.29x Crop (1.6 * 2.06) 
2.8K RAW Mode @2.35:1 = 2.96x Crop (1.6 * 1.85) - (Closest mode to Super16 or the BMPCC FOV)

Thanks!  Very helpful!

So, the 2.5K raw mode @ 2.35:1 vignettes with 16mm lenses?   Does the 2.8K mode vignette with Super 16 lenses?

33 minutes ago, tupp said:

So, the 2.5K raw mode @ 2.35:1 vignettes with 16mm lenses?   Does the 2.8K mode vignette with Super 16 lenses?

Nope they should pretty much be fine. I use a 16mm F1.4  C Mount lens and have used a Super 16mm Schneider ARRI-S Mount 16mm T1.9, worked fine with the 2.5K Mode. The 2.8k should be good too. 🙂 

Currently shooting with the canon 200d and since I have a lot of APS-C glass it seems a cheap way to jump to a ML camera that can shoot raw to boost my IQ.

I am okay with the slower workflow as in using a preset in MLV APP and wait for the files to be transfered to Prores before using into Premiere.

Couple of questions.. since I use my camera also a lot on a gimbal it is a bummer that the EOS M doesn't have a flippy screen and DPAF. Are there any APS-C Canon camera with stable reliable magic lantern raw firmware 1080p with flippy screen, useable continous AF and tracking AF features? Higher res than 1080p is also fine as long as it doesn't cut on 50fps recording and AF features.

In short is there any reliable ML camera that supports good continous AF / DPAF and higher framrates like 50p with higher quality than standard canon 8bit .h264 footage?

The Eos M doesn't have a flippy screen. How is the continous AF with 1080p raw?
What about  the 7d and 70d?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks, have a question for ya regarding 3.5k mk iii shooting. Anyone know if it’s possible to fix the broken live view by using an external monitor? 

shooting development for a doc with this right now and the quality is great, and high res super helpful for upscaling and matching to what our production camera will be, but getting really tired of shooting half blind and focusing by the numbers.