Sony A7c

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

Panny is lucky that Sony didnt give this camera a good Inter codec with 10bit for 1080 up to 60p and 4k  24,25,30p. Gerald Undones outlook makes good sense. Miniaturization is an important step in technology as it has always been. A7c represents that, A7III tech with A7SIII autofocus in an A6000 body plus swivel screen! With codec options like the S5 and without overheating this would be a mega seller. Sony will consider that, I am sure. It´s the smallest LF 4K videocamera in the world that has IBIS and an EVF. Sigma FP becomes very appealing indeed now, being the smallest LF 4K camera with a great image.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is it just me, or is the notion that would-be vloggers need a full frame sensor camera batshit crazy? There is a pernicious trend being driven along by an unholy alliance of 'influencers' and manufacturers. The result is that there are scores of people out there who THINK they need FF but don't really know why, nor do they understand the advantages and disadvantages of such systems. The irony is that this mass hysteria is threatening the existence of the crop sensor systems which would probably be a much better fit for most of these people.

1 hour ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I've used the RX1RII a lot, and this seems like a decent alternative. I would still prefer the RX1RII over this for light weight photography, but at least it has a lot of quality of life improvements such as MUCH better battery life, IBIS and 4k.

Had the RX1 RII and yes it is much more exciting than this one (for photography, as it's another kind of camera). I really don't get how could we get excited by this Sony A7c at this price point. Cause to me the real problem is the price. If it were sold at 1500$ max that would be ok. But not at this insane price.

25 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Don't think this will sell well, terrible video specs for the price, bad viewfinder, and not in any way better than the A7III for photographers. 

Smaller VF magnification can be a positive for spectacles wearers as you don't have to move your eye around the image. I've dumped otherwise great cameras before because of their excessive VF magnification.

On 9/12/2020 at 9:03 AM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Just wait some photo reviewers saying that it looks like a Mamiya 7...

Aaaaaand...my suspect delivered it in the first line of the review! 🤣

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2020/09/15/using-the-sony-a7c-with-leica-m-mount-lenses-is-an-overdue-dream/

"Pick it up, and the Sony a7c will trigger a feeling. It’s bound to feel like a Mamiya 6 or Mamiya 7 rangefinder camera. "

• Administrators

From the third department of PR at Sony... Sorry, I mean DPReview:

"The Bionz X processor is also borrowed from the a7 III, which unfortunately means that all of the fancy new menus and touch functionality from the a7S III and its updated processor aren't included here."

LOL!!

"In the hand, the a7C feels incredibly solid, thanks to what's called a magnesium alloy monocoque construction. It's sort of like what US auto manufacturers call 'unibody' construction, and the result is a camera that's free of creaks and flex and exudes a sense of quality."

Exudes quality!!

Finally a $2K camera that is free of creaking noises and doesn't bend. Had been waiting for this moment for years.

From the initial rounds of "reviews", the bullet points are (as an hybrid camera):
- Pro: AF system is better than the A7III (all tracking modes available in video, newer algorithms), new shutter unit (kind of slow one, but electomagnetic - love the one on my GX9), flippy screen (for those who like it), better ev rating for AF (-4 ev), video af transition velocity and sensibility configurable, unlimited record time, weight, better peaking.

- Cons: no f*cking front dial, terrible EVF, some reports that IBIS is worse than A7III (new compact IBIS unit), no joystick, no 10-bit at all (even external), same low res back LCD, same old shitty menu, smaller grip (same as the A6xxxx), single card slot,  much fewer custom buttons.

No interest for me, but for the targeted audience (non pro vloggers), could work. It is very light, have the best AF implementation, some IBIS, could go very wide with the right lens. and it is the kind of people that don't are too much into heavy grading (if any grading at all).

When it fell into the $1300-1400 mark (probably in 6 months) could be interesting - but never for pro work.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

More bollocks here at Imaging Resource...

"World's smallest and lightest full frame camera".

No that would be the Sigma Fp!

The same nonsense is being repeated by other sites as well.

How can the 124 x 71 x 60 mm dimensions of the Sony a7C make it smaller than the 112.6 x 69.9 x 45.3 mm dimensions of the Sigma fp.

At best its just absolute laziness but really shows again how rife the plagiarism and unchecked content aggregation really is.

950609807_ScreenShot2020-09-15at15_49_06.png.f443fb6d6f400da590444032e5432edd.png

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

The same nonsense is being repeated by other sites as well.

How can the 124 x 71 x 60 mm dimensions of the Sony a7C make it smaller than the 112.6 x 69.9 x 45.3 mm dimensions of the Sigma fp.

Sony has tiny writing where it says "with a zoom lens attached". Could as well have written "worlds smallest interchangeable full frame camera with an orange lens mount". 

• Administrators

On the UK Sony site the small print is:

"The α7C is the smallest and lightest full-frame digital interchangeable-lens camera with optical in-body image stabilisation"

A weird confusion going on in the heads of marketing people there of optical IS and mechanical IBIS.

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

On the UK Sony site the small print is:

"The α7C is the smallest and lightest full-frame digital interchangeable-lens camera with optical in-body image stabilisation"

A weird confusion going on in the heads of marketing people there of optical IS and mechanical IBIS.

Ah thats OK because, to use the current favoured terminology of our glorious leaders, they were only bullshitting in a 'very limited and specific way' then.

6 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Don't think this will sell well, terrible video specs for the price, bad viewfinder, and not in any way better than the A7III for photographers. 

Yeah its kinda cute though 😄
But yeah I dont see the point of this camera. If it had better specs then the A7III then it would be another story. Looks like A7IV will be quite some time away. Too bad as it would be kinda great to compare to the S5.