Sony A7c

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Price does seem a little high for now but like what I see.

I have no issue with the old Sony menus.

Reminds me a lot of the GX7 (I just wish the EVF tilted like the GX7).

It is NOT a camera for serious video but 8 bit will be fine still with most of those who buy it (and do not grade really).

The new little kit lens might be cheap enough for me to get one for my A7s, will wait for its reviews.

All in all, a good but not great photography camera probably with ok video for general use and it selling point will be its size (for a FF camera). 

13 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

My guess would be next gen AF, the touchscreen, new processor, a better EVF (a7III's is bottom spec as it gets), and better weather sealing. It wouldn't be tough to take it above the a7III's specs/build, and combined with a launch price for a new line - early adopters will pay the price just in time for the holiday shopping season. 

Yes that all sort of makes sense apart from the fact there is probably an A7iv around the corner...

Anyways it seems from the above video that the price in the US is going to be US$1800 which makes far more sense.

7 minutes ago, elgabogomez said:

So, it looks to be the same sensor from a73... how is it that Sony is the biggest sensor maker in the industry but it doesn’t use innovation on their own cameras??

Actually this is normal business practice. Becoming the largest producer (or essentially a monopoly) reduces the (profit) incentive to innovate..

46 minutes ago, elgabogomez said:

So, it looks to be the same sensor from a73... how is it that Sony is the biggest sensor maker in the industry but it doesn’t use innovation on their own cameras??

Why not?   It is still a very good sensor. 

The A7iii sensor still rates among the top twenty cameras out of the hundreds listed on DXO.   There are a lot of very nice cameras rated below it including some that cost a fair bit more.

It’s a good sensor... for photos that is, for video it’s still last gen in read speed (rolling shutter) and dynamic range. Not bad but the r6 sensor reads faster I believe, or it would have 4k60. And I don’t know why do a camera they already have a73 but in a different configuration. Only the AF has been ported from the a7s 3. No 10 bit, no faster read, no 4k60, just last generation but smaller. The S5 and the Fp have much better video. Auto focus is a big deal I suppose... but the a73 wasn’t bad in that area and could have get there on firmware. I can buy an a7s 2 for less (used) and be better served for video shooting.

58 minutes ago, elgabogomez said:

It’s a good sensor... for photos that is, for video it’s still last gen in read speed (rolling shutter) and dynamic range. Not bad but the r6 sensor reads faster I believe, or it would have 4k60. And I don’t know why do a camera they already have a73 but in a different configuration. Only the AF has been ported from the a7s 3. No 10 bit, no faster read, no 4k60, just last generation but smaller. The S5 and the Fp have much better video. Auto focus is a big deal I suppose... but the a73 wasn’t bad in that area and could have get there on firmware. I can buy an a7s 2 for less (used) and be better served for video shooting.

Unlimited 4K video without overheating is a big deal, at least to some. Canon is a showstopper for me in this regard.

2 hours ago, thefactory said:

What ever happened to the RX1? 

It seems that they are pushing sensor sizes up on every category, even on point & shoot cameras, in order to widen the gap between cameras and smartphones.

Thus this full frame madness and there is even a rumour that Sigma and Leica are pushing Panasonic to replace their entire MFT body collection with L-mount APS-C bodies (in contrary to recent statements from Panasonic representatives about Full frame and APS-C overlapping issues).

As a hardcore GH-line fan these are bad news for me (and many others) but i am quite sure that in 2-3 years from now, 1-inch and MFT sensors will be used only on drones and action cameras.

7 hours ago, ntblowz said:

420 8bit, old style menu system, WTF are they thinking to charge $2000 on it?

People are sheeps. they're gonna sell a bunch load of it, based on Youtube vloggers recommendation until next "big" thing. When you see what the Panasonic S5 offers for the same money, why on earth people would choose this werid thing... New concept camera? Meh !

30 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

People are sheeps. they're gonna sell a bunch load of it, based on Youtube vloggers recommendation until next "big" thing. When you see what the Panasonic S5 offers for the same money, why on earth people would choose this werid thing... New concept camera? Meh !

Panasonic need to first fix their lame AF in video.

Can't see vloggers paying $2K to make youtube vids that'll be mostly watched in 1080 that don't need FF.

I don't know who Sony think their target market for this is, vloggers with more money than sense? PewDiePie and a few others.

Also, damn it's ugly. EVF in a weird place. Odd choices by Sony all round.

28 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

This is actually a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than an S5.

Better AF, faster stills shooting, smaller size and lighter weight, almost twice as long battery life might be some.

S5 probably makes more sense for video shooters but then there are probably better cameras still for similar money.

It will not be a huge number on this forum that buy an A7c but there will be many others that do.

While this IS quite small, it is interesting to me that it is marginally heavier than the first version A7 cameras and while smaller in height (by 23mm) than my A7s it is only a very small amount (3mm) narrower and is actually deeper by 12mm.

1 minute ago, Trankilstef said:

Here in France it is the same price, which i find insane for a 2 years old tech.

I am not sure what the difference will be here in Australia (no doubt BOTH will be well out of my reach) but those other things are still valid reasons  for the A7c over the S5.

To be fair, there are plenty in favour of the S5 too.

EG twice the res LCD, slightly better IBIS, 60 sec minimum shutter speed VS 30 for the Sony, 1/250 VS 1/160 flash sync.

The Sony has a greater lens selection right now and clearzoom is a bonus.

I would take the A7c over the S5 any day but i guess if I was already using a Panasonic L mount camera it would be the other way around.

Pick your poison!

7 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

Here in France it is the same price (even 100 euros more for the body + kit lens), which i find insane for a 2 years old tech.

How do you price size though? Using the official dimensions, the A7c fits in a box of half the volume of the S5 bounding box.

Size is more timeless than technology and will for many people be more important than megapixels or 4k60p. Making comparisons purely based on specs misses the points when it comes to compact cameras.

I've used the RX1RII a lot, and this seems like a decent alternative. I would still prefer the RX1RII over this for light weight photography, but at least it has a lot of quality of life improvements such as MUCH better battery life, IBIS and 4k.