Sony A7c

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Now we wait for the medium format point and shoot 😋

That is not so crazy...

We already have several FF 'P&S' cameras well before 2020 from Sony & Leica notably.

I've always fancied a FF 'P&S' but the only limitation for me was the built in lenses tended to be too wide and yes, I know you can crop in camera with some models and always crop in post with all, but it's not the same thing as having a longer lens that has more compression.

So I'm buying my own version of a FF 'P&S', - the Sigma FP with 45mm f2.8 🙂

But MF in a 'P&S'? If anyone might do it, Fuji might... 

They have the MF tech and a slightly larger X100 style body could possibly do it...

Whether they would or not is another matter and possibly the market is a bit too hybrid-orientated now for it to happen but who knows...

As for this A7c, it might be interesting as a stills camera but it wouldn't fit into my needs anywhere, especially as I'm off to L Mount.

It will be interesting at least to see what it's like after some hands on reviews etc.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

But MF in a 'P&S'? If anyone might do it, Fuji might... 

They have the MF tech and a slightly larger X100 style body could possibly do it...

Whether they would or not is another matter and possibly the market is a bit too hybrid-orientated now for it to happen but who knows...

Well they do have a lot of form from the film days when they made quite a range of different medium format P&S cameras.

If they based it on the GFX50R then they could probably bring it in with a fixed lens for under the price of the Leica Q2 but, yeah, it would need to go on a serious diet.

10860_01.jpg.bc8e436cfa4ad3a3ffee1d96316547c8.jpg

photojottings.com-fuji-ga645w-review-f645wps9.thumb.jpg.a5decb1ff6e433a54119359514724a16.jpg

I like the "rangefinder" format for a hybrid. Just by the fact that people think it is an old camera and be much more relaxed in presence of one; instead, point a DSLR-like camera in their direction and their disconfort is evident - or they think you are a creepy.

I remember my GX7 days, people even come to my to see "a film camera". Getting into concerts with no problem with security (the main reason that I always have a "rangefinder" camera (these days, a GX9 - only time security did not allowed me to enter I was with the GH2...).

Last trip I used a GX85, even attached in a Crane M, and nobody gave a damn. One time, I was taking photos in a market, people never noticed or smiled to the camera, and a guy with a D3500 (!) stopped by my side, pointed the camera to a booth that the clerk smiled to me, and the booth guy became pissed. Normal people do not like "DSLRs".

But this contraption...no front dial, very few custom buttons, VERY small evf, horrible placed AF-ON button...nope.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

If they based it on the GFX50R then they could probably bring it in with a fixed lens for under the price of the Leica Q2 but, yeah, it would need to go on a serious diet.

They could call it the Fuji TeX-100 🙂

I'm off to buy the domain and soshal meedja accounts right now...

I wonder if this new line means the end of the RX1 series? With the 61mp sensor you'd have a lot more room to crop on top of clear image zoom with a fixed lens. But they'd probably need to move to a bigger battery to handle a new processor and larger EVF and such.

It will be interesting to see if they crank out a7c versions of the a9 or a7r series. If this camera sells well there's nothing to lose for Sony to just recycle internals from those cameras and milk them for more cash. I don't like the controls so its a no-go for me. If they would have simply made that damn EC dial a blank customizable dial or added a front dial it would be something I'd consider. I've used the a6000 series extensively, its annoying trying to adjust what's not on the one rear dial efficiently.

The new touchscreen fixes the button dance hassle of moving the AF point. But controls are still lacking.

Chris

15 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

I wonder if this new line means the end of the RX1 series? With the 61mp sensor you'd have a lot more room to crop on top of clear image zoom with a fixed lens. But they'd probably need to move to a bigger battery to handle a new processor and larger EVF and such.

It will be interesting to see if they crank out a7c versions of the a9 or a7r series. If this camera sells well there's nothing to lose for Sony to just recycle internals from those cameras and milk them for more cash. I don't like the controls so its a no-go for me. If they would have simply made that damn EC dial a blank customizable dial or added a front dial it would be something I'd consider. I've used the a6000 series extensively, its annoying trying to adjust what's not on the one rear dial efficiently.

The new touchscreen fixes the button dance hassle of moving the AF point. But controls are still lacking.

Chris

Very much my thoughts too.

The low key point and shoot design holds a lot of attraction to me. 

BUT just because it looks like a point and shoot doesnt mean I want it to have the controls of a point and shoot. The lack of front dial is a deal breaker for me...

Also an 'R' sensor would be great so you can zoom with a small fast prime.

All in all though, I like the concept and can see buying one (for me or the GF) in the future...

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

Very much my thoughts too.

The low key point and shoot design holds a lot of attraction to me. 

BUT just because it looks like a point and shoot doesnt mean I want it to have the controls of a point and shoot. The lack of front dial is a deal breaker for me...

Also an 'R' sensor would be great so you can zoom with a small fast prime.

All in all though, I like the concept and can see buying one (for me or the GF) in the future...

Yes, some decisions are just head scratchers. If they're marketing it as a vlogger camera, what vlogger uses EC when shooting selfie video? At this price point its far beyond "entry level" so they know more advanced enthusiasts, travel photographers and so on will be buying it. Even a mushy clickable dial like Fuji's that allows for two functions in the same dial would help. Plus if this was the long term strategy, why not more lenses with aperture rings or a custom ring like RF lenses?

It just doesn't seem like there's a cohesive product strategy beyond every camera using the E-mount. I've always carried a a6300 as a cheap emergency backup, this would be appealing to fill that role at a lower price point. But the price + controls = deal breaker for me. I do think it will sell well though, people have been saying for years they want FF in a smaller body, here it is.

Chris

17 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Big sensor, small body - has always marketed well to photographers....

Of course but not this one. Really I don't get it, ergonomically shitty, nothing improved from the A7III and pricey for what it offers.
I had some other small cameras with big sensors (Sony RX-1RII, Fuji X100F and Leica Q for example) and I could really  understand why those appeal to photographers.
butseriously this A7c is kind of a joke, no personnality at all, ergonomics seems nothing but bad, good sensor but nothing to write home about.... Very dull in my book.

6 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Just wait some photo reviewers saying that it looks like a Mamiya 7...

Years ago someone (in Korea i think) was modifying Mamiya 7 (or was it 6?) cameras to take a digital back and selling them on Ebay.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:59 AM, Trankilstef said:

Of course but not this one. Really I don't get it, ergonomically shitty, nothing improved from the A7III and pricey for what it offers.
I had some other small cameras with big sensors (Sony RX-1RII, Fuji X100F and Leica Q for example) and I could really  understand why those appeal to photographers.
butseriously this A7c is kind of a joke, no personnality at all, ergonomics seems nothing but bad, good sensor but nothing to write home about.... Very dull in my book.

I get everything about this camera apart from its pricing. It just sort of seems 'priced not to sell'.

I mean it is essentially being sold with a 'cheap consumer lens' so how does it make sense to position the camera above the A7iii?

At least it's not crippled, if sonyalpharumors is to be believed:

"A7c will have a similar passive cooling system like the A7sIII so it won’t overheat when shooting 4K for a long period of time. It will also not have any recording limits, unlike the A7III’s 29-minute recording limit."

Unlike the A7III, this new camera is rumoured to have the same AF system as the A7sIIII as well as no recording limit and could be an interesting little beast if IQ is up to snuff.

6 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I get everything about this camera apart from its pricing. It just sort of seems 'priced not to sell'.

I mean it is essentially being sold with a 'cheap consumer lens' so how does it make sense to position the camera above the A7iii?

My guess would be next gen AF, the touchscreen, new processor, a better EVF (a7III's is bottom spec as it gets), and better weather sealing. It wouldn't be tough to take it above the a7III's specs/build, and combined with a launch price for a new line - early adopters will pay the price just in time for the holiday shopping season. 

Chris

I really don't understand Sony at all. If these pictures posted on sonyalpharumors ( https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-sony-a7c-real-world-images/) are reliable and authentic , look at the menu system... Why do they go back to their previous type of menu, the one that everybody complained about? they made a smart move changing it completely with the release pf the A7SIII, so everybody was thinking they'll bring this menu on every new A7 body... But no of course. Is Sony the new Canon? As we say in french, take one step forward and two steps backwards....  

2020-09-15 00_08_32-sonyalpharumors - Sony Digital Camera News.png