Memory Cards for the A7S III

Oliver Daniel

There is so much conflicting info out there, I don't know what works! 

So far I understand that you need v90 cards for all modes apart from S&Q modes, where you need the CFexpress Type A card that costs $100,00,000,00. 

I'm now seeing some people say that v60 cards work for non-S&Q modes then others saying they don't and yadda yadda. I own 6 of these cards. 

What exactly is it? @Hangs4Fun know? Anyone? Thank you. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The simplified breakdown, according to the chart:

v60 = Long GOP recording options, no All-i (though footnote 1 & 2 for XAVC S/HS  says a v90 *may* be required with 4k 100/120 & HD 200/240, that one is confusing, so a v60 works sometimes, or not? Is that because some cards aren't as reliable sustaining needed write speeds or something else?)

v90 = All-i and Long GOP, some S&Q

Type A = Required for S&Q All-i 4k120p, HD 200/240p - not sure why the chart doesn't say 100p, seems like it would be the same as 120

I think that's it in a nutshell. I'm going v90 to have most bases covered, but I want to try the S&Q to compare All-i with Long GOP in the HFR modes, so I'm getting the 80gb Type A card and will use the USB-c port to transfer files until there are more card reader options available. Everything Type A is way overpriced, the tax of being an early adopter.

Chris

I’m wondering whether going the Ninja (with the Angelbird mastercaddy) route isn’t a way of avoiding having to buy multiple expensive cards. I have pre-ordered  a 160 type A but it’d be nice if I didn’t have to get another one... I don’t mind using an external monitor and with the proper HDMI it’s reasonably secure. 

1 hour ago, Snowfun said:

I’m wondering whether going the Ninja (with the Angelbird mastercaddy) route isn’t a way of avoiding having to buy multiple expensive cards. I have pre-ordered  a 160 type A but it’d be nice if I didn’t have to get another one... I don’t mind using an external monitor and with the proper HDMI it’s reasonably secure. 

Thats plan B 

Plus you get to exopose and trow luts on as well.

26 minutes ago, Rinad Amir said:

Sorry for asking i must of missed this but

Can you record 4k120p via atomos V ?(a7siii)

Thank you in advance

Not at present. 4k 60p is the max. There's been rumors that maybe Atomos may build an adapter/interface/modual for the V that allow this but at present the max you can record is 60p.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 7:23 AM, Oliver Daniel said:

There is so much conflicting info out there, I don't know what works! 

So far I understand that you need v90 cards for all modes apart from S&Q modes, where you need the CFexpress Type A card that costs $100,00,000,00. 

I'm now seeing some people say that v60 cards work for non-S&Q modes then others saying they don't and yadda yadda. I own 6 of these cards. 

What exactly is it? @Hangs4Fun know? Anyone? Thank you. 

Sorry Oliver, have been swamped prepping for a big shoot, had to avoid "suck holes" as much as possible, lol.   

Here's a page from the PRO Support guide that not only shows the minimum memory speeds, but also the max bitrates too.  Sorry for the delay.  Got an email this morning, that my A7SIII shipped before lunch, will be in hand Friday 🙂

A7SIII bitrate and mem card req.JPG

2 hours ago, Snowfun said:

AnY news as to when the Type A cards will be available? Rather odd that Sony didn’t ensure a supply once the camera shipped. 

You can get pretty much everything with a v90 card. I'm waiting for a Type A card as well - ordered with the camera and its on backorder until who knows when. Until then its v90 and the Ninja for me. Prograde Digital is selling them direct - they're on sale right now and alphagvrd has an additional 20% off discount coupon, so they're cheaper than the big online retailers. I have 2x128gb cards in my cart and its $188, insanely cheap for quality v90 cards.

https://alphagvrd.com/

Chris