GoPro Hero 9 Black Coming Soon with 5K30/4K60

androidlad

GoPros allow highly-skilled operators to make spectacular situations look great in the same way.
Great cameras allow passable operators to make modest situations look very good in whatever way you want as an artist.

I think GoPro missed an opportunity by not offering a model where the lenses could be interchanged, even if it was via a relatively delicate process that took some time and couldn't be done 'in the field'.

I bought a Sony X3000 instead of a GoPro as it had OIS instead of EIS, which matters in low-light situations, and that will be replaced by the wide-angle camera in whatever smartphone I have at that point.

GoPro filled a niche and didn't innovate.  Not a recipe for the long-term.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, kye said:

(...)

GoPro filled a niche and didn't innovate.  Not a recipe for the long-term.

Evolution and not exactly a revolution each year is where they based their business model and have made them a best seller. They've achieved a loyal clientele basis as never seen before... :- )

image.thumb.png.19505297d64988ffb00c2b69e700ccc4.png

In the pandemic year... better to not think too much on the remaining camera market : X

The things we learn in a cameras forum! : D Six years and a half charts are a new must-have... Wait, no, no, the importance of 52-Week High and Low charts five years ago... LOL ; )

https://www.barrons.com/articles/gopro-stock-soars-19-as-new-camera-drives-better-than-expected-profits-51604686232

GoPro shares are flying on Friday after the specialty video-camera company posted third-quarter financial results that were dramatically better than the company had previously projected.

For the quarter, GoPro (ticker: GPRO) reported revenue of $281 million, up an impressive 114% from a year ago and up 109% from the previous quarter—and well ahead of the company’s forecast range of $220 million to $250 million. (Nov. 6, 2020)

So, to paraphrase...

• In March, GoPro stocks were down to 3% of their 2014 peak
  • But they've gone up from 3% to 10% of their peak
  • The rise was unexpected

In a conversation about a companies business model, where that business model hasn't really changed in the entire lifetime of the company, I would suggest that "down by 90% since 2014" is a more relevant figure than what they did in the last quarter, month, quarter-of-an-hour, etc...

It's relatively easy to select any time portion you like to prove a point.  For example, in the last few days they lost over 8% of their value.  At that rate I guess they'll be bankrupt by the new year.

image.png.26505ed0a79eb3065adae838a5b1edf7.png

Unless, of course, you think I'm taking the most current data out of context and I should zoom out a bit?

🙂 

Jokes aside...

- 2014 is pretty irrelevant unless in order to check their actual performance;

- their business has proven to be effective in a difficult year for every business on earth and in a special way for the camera industry as whole;

- let alone the end on an era all camera manufacturers live nowadays (nothing to make me happy with, BTW) ;

- their subscrition model clearly shows they have a strategy and the results show them to succeed.

Markets speak volumes.

I guess we have no need to go on 'how to properly read financial charts' atm... : X

I am happy for them, no matter how I love interchangeable and much bigger sensor size cameras.

That said, I never bought a single GoPro camera unit so far...

...but the fact they have adopted David Newman as their main technical resource who made History with Slumdog Millionaire, among other milestones, got every piece of respect I may show for their endeavour.

I definitely see evolution in each release of them and praise it, hence my hats off to anyone involved, their customers basis included.

You can twist the lens covers off most of the go pro models. I'm no engineer,  but to extend that to make the lens interchangeable should have been a no brainer. Something a little less fisheye if an individual wanted would be better than sliced bread 😎

1 hour ago, leslie said:

You can twist the lens covers off most of the go pro models. I'm no engineer,  but to extend that to make the lens interchangeable should have been a no brainer. Something a little less fisheye if an individual wanted would be better than sliced bread 😎

The problem is that the flange distance of the GoPro lens setup, which IIRC is M12, is very small and the camera has a very narrow opening.

This is a GoProp replacement lens - note that the entire lens is very narrow, essentially fitting inside the M12 mount (which has an internal thread).

hero5_stock_lens.JPG?v=1571288595

Most interesting lenses are much thicker, like this one, so can't be mounted without major surgery to the GoPro electronics:

MAR-CV-0622-5MP_1__76934.1551850868.jpg?

However, if GoPro had designed it a little differently then it would have been pretty easy to design it so that other lenses could have been used - the could even have sold them at horrifically inflated prices like every other product they sold.

13 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

And the housing is a cheap plastic that cracks easily and causes horrible misalignments. An optics company.. they're certainly not. 

True.  If they'd designed an interchangeable lens mount then it could still have been an M12 based system, but having the thread permanently mounted to the camera wouldn't have worked.  Much better would have been to mount a few metal female mounting points around the sensor and have some kind of assembly that contained an M12 mount and lens that could be fastened to the board with the sensor on it.

M12 is a reasonable mount because it's widely used in security / CCTV cameras, but the mounts are not designed to be re-used beyond initial assembly of the product.

Actually there are two companies at least that provided other lenses up to the 6 at least after that I'm not sure. Back bone make one and maybe rage cams.  theres also a max mod for the nine.  Which seems to be some sort of lens mod. Haven't really checked it out.