GoPro Hero 9 Black Coming Soon with 5K30/4K60

androidlad

Honestly the GoPro era feels dead. These past couple of releases haven't interested me, both because of how over saturated the action camera market became and because of their yearly release schedule. They've ceased innovating. Yes, the stabilization is incredible, but each iteration is a modest upgrade over the last. While they're focusing on media mods, a company like Insta360 is innovating in much better ways in my opinion. 

I honestly feel, at this point, most people would be better off buying used or one of the cameras released by DJI or Insta360 instead. Hell, for a lot of people one of those cheaper ones from Yi would be sufficient if your primary use for an action camera is putting it in a tight / risky environment, like me. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

Honestly the GoPro era feels dead.

I agree sort of.

The last 3 releases from them has been stale crackers. I think the GoPro 9, and action cameras like it, are on their last legs.

I was surprised DJI entered the market with the product they did.

I’m really, really surprised GoPro or DJI didn’t go all in on 360 video as I feel that is the future of the action camera.

Maybe the tech isn’t there yet.

A new 360 camera would need at least dual 8K sensors for it to come close to replacing what the GoPro 9 offers now.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

GoPro missed a great chance to branch out and diversify into other types of cameras.

Just action cams? Missed opportunity.

Or at least progress action cameras more than they did. Like, why did it take until last year for someone to finally put a 1 inch sensor in one? Why didn't they attempt to make a more versatile/premium action camera years and years ago? Something in a form factor similar to a point and shoot, but still small and light weight enough to put in tight spaces?

Just seems like they decided to coast after things were going good and now are just kinda riding the brand for as long as they can, with minimal effort to improve.

Dunno guys, I mean are you capable of producing the amazing footage that GoPro continually puts out for their new products promos? At this point I think that the product is extremely mature and there is no need to upgrade every year, just like with smartphones. The one thing that is missing and that is technologically possible is 4K120p (Zenfone 7 does it with this small sensor).

Yes, from a shareholder's POV GoPro has missed the opportunity to expand into other product categories, but as a consumer I don't see them bringing a lot of added value to anything else.

I still own my GoPro 3 Black and use it from time to time as  a overhead drum camera on concerts, so I´m still kinda watching what GoPro is doing.

Still, I´m waiting for the right features to buy another one. Better codecs, higher bitrate, bigger sensor would be awesome. Until then, it is not the right tool for me.

In my opinion, here is what GoPro needs to make next year to truly stand out and offer a worthwhile upgrade: 

- GoPro X. Bigger sensor than the 9 and 4K120p along with 10 bits recording. 
- Gopro Max 2. Dual 8K30P sensor that gives a 4K image when you use it in Hero mode. It's like having a normal GoPro in every direction, no need to frame. And a mode that gives 2.7K60P when in hero mode (unlike FHD today). Same sensor size as today to make all that possible. 

the thing about the previous gopro's is their small size. I also think they have missed the boat on several occasions. Either my 4 or 6 will soon find service on my 75mm drone i have bought, i might even move to the seven or eight yet. The nine is a little larger and bigger battery. That may not endear it to drone users,  I guess maybe the old size might have become something of a constraint maybe either heat wise or some other aspect. Personally i would have liked to seen an option to swap lenses to something less fisheye if you wanted to. If you weren't a fan of the onboard mics then decent sound always seemed like an optional extra and extra price point. once they dropped support for their own gopro studio and quick app well its rather apparent that gopro were happy to just surf off the back of gopro's

On 9/18/2020 at 11:11 AM, wolf33d said:

In my opinion, here is what GoPro needs to make next year to truly stand out and offer a worthwhile upgrade: 

- GoPro X. Bigger sensor than the 9 and 4K120p along with 10 bits recording. 
- Gopro Max 2. Dual 8K30P sensor that gives a 4K image when you use it in Hero mode. It's like having a normal GoPro in every direction, no need to frame. And a mode that gives 2.7K60P when in hero mode (unlike FHD today). Same sensor size as today to make all that possible. 

Wouldn’t the camera have to be a lot bigger to accommodate some cooling?

If you already have one of the 4k60 action cams I can't see a reason to get a new one since the price keeps climbing on these. Until they bring something new, why would anyone upgrade, even skipping two generations? I see little advantage over a Hero7 or the Osmo if you must have a front screen. IQ hasn't gotten any better in the last few generations and most phones can shoot better video/slowmo. Quite frankly its surprising how little innovation we've seen in the action cam space - its gone completely stagnant. More "K's" isn't the answer

Cheers

Chris

2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

If you already have one of the 4k60 action cams I can't see a reason to get a new one since the price keeps climbing on these. Until they bring something new, why would anyone upgrade, even skipping two generations? I see little advantage over a Hero7 or the Osmo if you must have a front screen. IQ hasn't gotten any better in the last few generations and most phones can shoot better video/slowmo. Quite frankly its surprising how little innovation we've seen in the action cam space - its gone completely stagnant. More "K's" isn't the answer

Cheers

Chris

Price of Hero 9 is the same as Hero 8, which I’m pretty sure is lower than what I paid for Hero 7. It’s £279, granted you need to also prepay for annual GoPro plus subscription. Which clearly is a popular product, so many including me pay anyway. 

Also as long as you need a camera to be bolted onto something GoPro will be in business. 

diversification is a lot of times a poor business strategy as companies are known to lose focus. Doing what you do best and evolving it while looking for the next game changer is what they should be doing. 

1” sensor is no good because it would require a focusing capability. Not something anyone wants to use when the thing is bolted to your head. Look at RX0 - limited use camera with 1” which is not a competitor to GoPro. I had it, it’s cute but mostly falls short of anything it tries to do. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...