GoPro Hero 9 Black Coming Soon with 5K30/4K60

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
45 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

I tiny 1\2.3 inch 23mp sensor (Sony IMX667) will give us even worth DR than the previous GoPRO. Why oh why do they keep using those tiny puny sensors? Why not put an IMX700 (same as in Huawei P40, 1\1.28 inch) in there?

If new Osmo Action will use IMX700 or similar, they will crush GoPro.

Sony Semicon imposes strict licensing restrictions, one of these restrictions is that certain sensors can only be put in specific products (eg. mobile phone only).

This is why drone cameras from Autel/DJI have only recently started using the more than 3 years old IMX586 sensor.

29 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Sony Semicon imposes strict licensing restrictions, one of these restrictions is that certain sensors can only be put in specific products (eg. mobile phone only).

This is why drone cameras from Autel/DJI have only recently started using the more than 3 years old IMX586 sensor.

Does that mean we gonna see 48MP on Osmo Action 2?

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

Why the hell do they do that? Whats their game?

Do Samsung have similar restrictions on their sensors? 

Some other company really needs to step into the image sensor market. Samsung? A new player? Because I see So y Semiconductors Solutions strict licensing terms do nothing but hurt the camera industry. Maybe that’s just how things are run in Japan? Seems like all the other manufactures are at the complete mercy of Sony Semicon.

Except Sony cameras of course.

On 9/10/2020 at 2:59 PM, kye said:

It's a good thing that GoPros have smaller sensors and can implement the higher resolutions/framerates before the cameras with the larger sensors can.

Oh, hang on...

i have been considering getting an 8 for for a 75mm cinewoop perhaps i'll wait and see what the 9 is like. I think the two last frame rates hold a certain fascination for me

4K2K@120fps 10bit

1080p@300fps 10bit"

If it has some type of cinema / log file rather than the standard .264 .265 then it would be a done deal for me at least.

On 9/10/2020 at 6:59 AM, kye said:

It's a good thing that GoPros have smaller sensors and can implement the higher resolutions/framerates before the cameras with the larger sensors can.

Oh, hang on...

48mp sensor could give good pixel-binned 4K, but I doubt 8K from such tiny sensors will be usable Ć(better than 4K) anytime soon.

36 minutes ago, leslie said:

i have been considering getting an 8 for for a 75mm cinewoop perhaps i'll wait and see what the 9 is like. I think the two last frame rates hold a certain fascination for me

4K2K@120fps 10bit

1080p@300fps 10bit"

If it has some type of cinema / log file rather than the standard .264 .265 then it would be a done deal for me at least.

Yeah, 1080p 300fps 10bit would be great for a cinewhoop.

21 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

48mp sensor could give good pixel-binned 4K, but I doubt 8K from such tiny sensors will be usable Ć(better than 4K) anytime soon.

I was being sarcastic - reacting to the headline that it'll do 5K30 and 4K60.  That's the kind of headline that announces that a camera designed in 2017 has finally been released.  

Part of the advantage of smaller sensors is that they can do faster video modes than larger ones, but it looks like GoPro has fallen way behind in this regard, if 4K60 is where it's at.