How to better diffuse those compact LED lights?

Amazeballs

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Of course, you can tape/velcro regular theatre/photo/cine diffusion gels.  They come in a variety grades/opaqueness.

With LEDs, you can also use, tracing paper, cotton sheets, white plastic bags, etc.

However, what are you trying to accomplish by diffusing that light?

8 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

How big a diffusor are you looking for?

There's a type of parabolic reflector where you put the light-source in the middle facing away from the subject (and directly into the reflector) and that should make the light source the size of the reflector.

Like this kind of style:

61Zsxk0c0CL._AC_SY355_.jpg

They fold up like umbrellas and so are pretty portable.  I'd imagine they come in a range of sizes:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9Vae1XqPeKgXGyMDaX6H

Unless you're looking for something smaller?

The idea could easily be applied to whatever size you like if you're after an on-camera solution like @BTM_Pix suggested:

Best-Speedlight-Softboxes.jpg

As the post above mentioned, I have found umbrellas to be the most portable softening method (either reflecting or diffusing). However, I am questioning whether a small LED like that will have enough power to be used with a reflector. The problem with the clip-on diffusers is that they are so small that you might as well just get a slightly larger LED panel and not have to deal with the hassle. 

The lightest way to get soft light would be to use a ring-light, just be wary of the distinct pupil reflections and somewhat unnatural look if you don't have an additional keylight.

On 9/7/2020 at 10:33 AM, Amazeballs said:

Any tips on how to make a relatively compact diffusor for them? 

I think you'll likely kill nearly all of the output with the diffusers people have been suggesting... 

The "shower cap" options are pretty nice and nearly indestructible. I used larger ones on the OG Light Panels for years. It is hard to find small versions, most come in larger sizes. I think this might be too small...

https://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-LD1-Universal-Diffuser-External/dp/B002U5C7FY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=small+diffuser+cap&qid=1599678552&sr=8-1

If you can't find what you want online, I would make a trip to your fabric store. You could likely get the exact density you want for under 5 dollars. A yard of diffusion and some Velcro would probably be exactly what you need.

4 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

I think you'll likely kill nearly all of the output with the diffusers people have been suggesting... 

The "shower cap" options are pretty nice and nearly indestructible. I used larger ones on the OG Light Panels for years. It is hard to find small versions, most come in larger sizes. I think this might be too small...

https://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-LD1-Universal-Diffuser-External/dp/B002U5C7FY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=small+diffuser+cap&qid=1599678552&sr=8-1

If you can't find what you want online, I would make a trip to your fabric store. You could likely get the exact density you want for under 5 dollars. A yard of diffusion and some Velcro would probably be exactly what you need.

Sadly those 3x3 inches shower cap diffusors will be too small for my light which is about 3x5 in size, otherwise a nice solution. 

4 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

I think I foind extremly cheap and efficient solution. This device called - a paper bag 😆

Someone suggest white plastic bags early in the thread.

3 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Early in the thread, someone suggested regular diffusion gels, which come in a variety of grades and light transmission rates.

3 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Sadly those 3x3 inches shower cap diffusors will be too small for my light which is about 3x5 in size, otherwise a nice solution. 

If you are trying to make the light softer, a 3x5 diffuser on a 3x5 fixture won't help.

4 hours ago, tupp said:

Someone suggest white plastic bags early in the thread.

Very modest hint 🙂 yes, you are right! I did eventually went to a big Supermarket and just started browsing in its manufactured goods department as someone suggested. And you anticapated my godsend, but I forgot to give you credit. Lets correct that.

I've also ordered gels you've mentioned above, gonna play with them as well. 

Even with a soft box on each the light will be relatively hard as the size of the source is small.

You could get a cheap 5-in-1 reflector off Amazon. Use the translucent one and arrange a few of your lights to spread out over the whole surface.

Or alternatively use the white one and bounce them. Basically just do whatever you can to spread the light out over a larger area.

If you want even softer, try combining both ideas by making a book light (bounce off white, then diffuse). You'll need to be working at low light levels for that to work though as it'll kill the output.

On 9/10/2020 at 1:09 AM, tupp said:

If you are trying to make the light softer, a 3x5 diffuser on a 3x5 fixture won't help.

Exactly. An LED panel is in itself a soft light source (as long as you don't get those with 6 LED diodes), the only thing it lacks is size. Adding diffusion in itself doesn't do anything, what is needed is to increase the size. For an on-camera-light, that's pretty much impossible without making it cumbersome to use.

I use the Aputure HR672C a lot. I would estimate that it is as soft as most of the diffusers suggested in this thread except the umbrellas and it's still fairly small. On the plus side it's a single unit and it doesn't lose any output through diffusion/reflection. If it's far away from the subject it will still be a rather hard light, so to get as much softness as possible out of it I sometimes cram it as close to the frame as possible.