Fuji XT3 vs Sigma FP (sort of...)

MrSMW

I am currently looking at rationalising all my kit for 2021 on the basis that I will be working again. (1/25 jobs completed in 2020).

I have 5 needs:

1: Photography, which needs no explanation.

2: Filming, which for me is either handheld stabilised or monopod approx 10 second clips throughout the day. (Weddings mainly).

3: Video: The static capture, ie, tripod of just 2 parts of the day in their entirety; ceremony & speeches. With audio.

4: Personal camera. Currently iphone 8+ but I'd like to go back to having a small, fun and 'different' personal camera. I was at the coast just yesterday and was wishing for something more...

5: After the year we have had and uncertainty about the future, I'm keeping an eye on the budget.

I have looked at and considered all the current options, the known about and available very shortly options (Panny S5, Sony A7S3) and the near-future likely options (Sony A74, Nikon Z6S) and keep coming back to Fuji, my current workhorse. If the thing ever materialises and it suits my needs, XH2's could be a 2022 option but doubt if anything will be available end of March 2021 max.

All factors considered, I have decided to stick with my XT3s plus various lenses for my photography and filming needs and was going to get and use a third XT3 body for the video role, running off Anker power bank and recording to a Ninja V and SSD.

But I have a Sigma FP itch. I know it's flawed in so many ways and is not 'THE' camera by any means, but I think it ticks a number of boxes, but I have a few questions...

As a 'personal', ie, family trips & events, I think it would work for me paired with the 45mm f2.8 and it ticks the 'different' box. E shutter, lack of a viewfinder etc, non-issues to me.

But I reckon I could double up it's use and not get that third XT3, Ninja V and SSD and instead use the FP?

This would be static, 15-90 minute sessions, on a tripod, manually focused, recording internally 4k 25p. I think I'd stick with the 45mm f2.8 to keep things simple or maybe consider the new 56mm f1.4, but have no greater need than that.

Cost-wise, there's no difference to be concerned about taking into account Sigma body, spare battery, lens vs XT3 body, Ninja V, SSD. It's about the same.

So my 2 questions are...and specifically to users;

A: It is more than up to the static video purpose I intend as it can record internally for up to 2 hours?

and

B: What's it like for stills if you have used it for such?

One of the problems I have living in rural South-West France is that there are no rental places and not even any local places that stock the thing so I could play so it would be very much a case of buy the body & lens and have a play on the basis I was going to keep it.

I'm close to pushing the button to have a play and do some personal projects over the next 8 months, but I'd be interested in hearing from some users here just in case there is something I have not considered but should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

For the world's smallest full frame stills camera it has very good video capabilities.

And for a full frame RAW shooting video camera it has very good stills capabilities.

Its not the very best stills camera that I've got and its not the very best video camera that I've got but if you told me it was the only camera that I could have then I wouldn't cry myself to sleep about that by any means.

If you accept the obvious like no EVF, no IBIS, less than stellar AF and look on it as being an interchangeable lens version of the original Sony RX1 but with a 4K full frame version of the original BMPCC available at a flick of the mode switch then a good time can be had by all.

I've been using it with cheap compact M primes like this 7Artisans 35mm f2 in these shots to keep it small and it is another thing to bear in mind that it can get a bit unbalanced with the larger L mount lenses, though not the 45mm f2.8.

7Artisans35mm_COMP.thumb.jpg.040994133171ca37524d42cef78401d4.jpg

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

look on it as being an interchangeable lens version of the original Sony RX1 but with a 4K full frame version of the original BMPCC available at a flick of the mode switch

This.

I have ‘agonized’ over what I should get as a personal camera and the Leica Q2 would be my first choice other than price.

The Sony RX1 series was a contender as was the Fuji X100V and also the latest Ricoh, but ultimately I am after something a bit more versatile than a ‘street photography camera’ and the fact that the Sigma can earn it’s keep at weddings for static video, seals the deal.

Otherwise yes, the 45mm f2.8 is the only lens I am considering for photography, partly for the purity of the ‘fixed lens’ approach and partly to retain the smallest footprint.

The only option I would get is the smallest grip.

All my personal work/needs are ‘considered’ ie, no need for blazing fast AF and the only other contender I have been considering is getting a (used obviously) original X100.

The latter would not fill the dual purpose video role however which would mean keeping the camcorder, plus I have already been there and done that 3x with that original Fuji already so something new and different would be fun.

Great pics @BTM_Pix 

• Super Members
6 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Otherwise yes, the 45mm f2.8 is the only lens I am considering for photography, partly for the purity of the ‘fixed lens’ approach and partly to retain the smallest footprint.

I remain hopeful that Sigma will do some more compact f2.8 primes like a 35mm and a 24mm and even an 85mm.

Big, heavy and expensive was the order of the day for L mount lenses when it was only Leica making them and the current offerings have, by and large, carried that legacy on.

With the fp and now the more compact S5, that needs to change.

Ironically, the biggest winners in L mount recently have been owners of the Leica TL/CL cameras thanks to the three new compact, fast and inexpensive APS-C primes from Sigma.

I was hoping that the latest fp firmware update would take advantage of these lenses now being available and have a 10bit internal RAW APS-C video mode but it wasn't to be.

I have two of those three lenses in different mounts and based on their performance on those I'd buy all three in L mount if Sigma made that mode available on the fp.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, markr041 said:

The Sigma fp has an APS-C mode you can choose already. And you can shoot RAW video in that mode. The camera works perfectly with any APS-C lens in video and stills. All options work in both FF  and crop modes.

I know it does.

Its the 10 bit internal to SD card when its in APS-C mode that I'm referring to as a new feature.

1 hour ago, markr041 said:

The Sigma fp has an APS-C mode you can choose already. And you can shoot RAW video in that mode. The camera works perfectly with any APS-C lens in video and stills. All options work in both FF  and crop modes.

I didn't!

So with an L-EF adapter, I can use my Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and Tamron 45mm f1.8?

That would open up some options to me as I don't mind shooting pics or video APSC. And do anyway being a Fuji user!

Without checking, 1.5x crop then?

I need to do some further research and know there is digital stablisation, but is that only for Jpeg, ie, not for raw (pics) or video capture?

Again, I don't mind cropping but won't be shooting Jpeg.

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

So with an L-EF adapter, I can use my Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and Tamron 45mm f1.8?

That would open up some options to me as I don't mind shooting pics or video APSC. And do anyway being a Fuji user!

Without checking, 1.5x crop then?

Yes, you can set it manually but there is an auto setting which detects them and does it for you.

The three new fast Sigma primes will also do you well then if you want native lenses and don't mind shooting crop.

@BTM_Pix yes I knew about those and I might just end up getting that trinity over the the 45mm f2.8

I guess the 16/30/56 have the equivalent focal lengths of 24/45/84 then but are still f1.4 for light gathering purposes?

If so, that's a photographers kit right there...plus I think I'd sell the Sig 18-35 and Tamron 45 to help fund that as this trinity are smaller, lighter and faster and being properly native, has to be a bonus in the AF department?

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

@BTM_Pix yes I knew about those and I might just end up getting that trinity over the the 45mm f2.8

I guess the 16/30/56 have the equivalent focal lengths of 24/45/84 then but are still f1.4 for light gathering purposes?

If so, that's a photographers kit right there...plus I think I'd sell the Sig 18-35 and Tamron 45 to help fund that as this trinity are smaller, lighter and faster and being properly native, has to be a bonus in the AF department?

If you buy a used package, the 45mm f2.8 is usually a fairly negligible part of the overall price as most people bought it in a kit so its probably worth having for the additional money.

The reviews for the new f1.4 primes in L mount are very thin (to non-existent) on the ground but there are abundant reviews and flickr samples of them in other mounts to have a look at.

From my experience of the 30mm on MFT and the 56mm on E mount they are great value for money.

Hmmm, no used ones for sale on ebay UK or second hand with any of the usual suspects.

I have found however the Fotodiox Canon-L Mount autofocus adapter...with variable ND filter, ie, behind the lens and built in!

Wow, stick either my Sigma or Tamron lenses on that for my intended video use.

I'd still like a tilt and better AF, but otherwise, for my two very specific needs, I can't think of anything else more suited.

Just need to find one now...

I got my FP cheap on Ebay UK about 6 months ago. They come up at least monthly, obviously from disgruntled or frustrated purchasers.

I have a Fuji XT3 and have had a BMPCC 4K. For me the Sigma FP is stellar at both stills and video.

I haven't used my XT3 for video as I love the Davinci Resolve workflow and it's a hassle getting the Fuji codec in there.

I don't think you would shoot video on the FP, or at least get the best out of it on the internal SD card. I use a very small external SSD.

Soon after buying the FP I wanted to sell my XT3, but then Fuji pre-announced the XT4 and my XT3 dropped in value about £200-£300 overnight.

The XT3 is easier to use than the FP. The pictures are lovely, especially with Fuji's film emulations. The auto focus is great and the lenses are varied and very good too.

I find the FP RAW photo files to be more detailed. I'm using mine in manual, with Leica M lenses and very affordable Pentax Asahi Takumar. The images are fantastic.

I too am waiting, hoping, on some more full frame Sigma L Mount lenses. I could use the back screen with auto focus, but at the moment have to use the add-on viewfinder to manual focus.

The XT3 is a lot cheaper now, a very excellent camera and easier to use (due to the auto focus superiority). I find the FP more rewarding and more fun. I think it walks all over the XT3 for pure video quality personally.

1 hour ago, Chris Whitten said:

I got my FP cheap on Ebay UK about 6 months ago. They come up at least monthly, obviously from disgruntled or frustrated purchasers.

I have a Fuji XT3 and have had a BMPCC 4K. For me the Sigma FP is stellar at both stills and video.

I haven't used my XT3 for video as I love the Davinci Resolve workflow and it's a hassle getting the Fuji codec in there.

I don't think you would shoot video on the FP, or at least get the best out of it on the internal SD card. I use a very small external SSD.

Soon after buying the FP I wanted to sell my XT3, but then Fuji pre-announced the XT4 and my XT3 dropped in value about £200-£300 overnight.

The XT3 is easier to use than the FP. The pictures are lovely, especially with Fuji's film emulations. The auto focus is great and the lenses are varied and very good too.

I find the FP RAW photo files to be more detailed. I'm using mine in manual, with Leica M lenses and very affordable Pentax Asahi Takumar. The images are fantastic.

I too am waiting, hoping, on some more full frame Sigma L Mount lenses. I could use the back screen with auto focus, but at the moment have to use the add-on viewfinder to manual focus.

The XT3 is a lot cheaper now, a very excellent camera and easier to use (due to the auto focus superiority). I find the FP more rewarding and more fun. I think it walks all over the XT3 for pure video quality personally.

Are we related? Seriously. My surname is also Whitten!

Otherwise found some decent prices from ebay Germany.

Small external SSD may very well be an option for me as the ONLY time I will shoot video is statically, at weddings, ceremony & speeches only because I use XT3 for everything else and happy doing that.

But we must be related...

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Not related to Cilla, but yes my surname is also Whitten. Always has been 😀

Sorry, I meant if the related to Chris Whitten bit is true rather than the your surname being Whitten too bit is true 😉 

Park Cameras have a used fp by the way but nowhere cheap enough to tickle anyone's fancy.

I paid £1300, but body only, no lens.

I have seen them between £1400 and £1600 for the body. The same day I got mine there was one with 45mm lens (the full kit) on Ebay (located in Sweden) for £1600, but in the ten minutes I hesitated someone nabbed it.

I think early on, first adopters got frustrated with it and just wanted to get rid of it at any price. But now people are starting to appreciate it, especially with the last two firmware updates.