Canon R5 - native lenses or adapted EF

Tulpa

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, independent said:

They work well (AF and IS), except they aren’t corrected for distortion in-camera and are noisy (USM). If you’re looking to use an on-camera mic, go with RF Nano USM lenses. 

Thanks!

Can I ask what lenses you are using and how do you like them?

RF 15-35mm is quiet, fast, stabilized unicorn lens. All you really need for narrative film in most cases.

RF 50mm 1.2 is possibly the best image I have ever seen from a lens, better than any cinema lenses I have used. But it’s also the full frame and autofocus that probably play a major factor in that. But it is regular USM so it’s about as noisy as the regular EF lenses. 

If you don’t need on camera sound, and watch distortion, I’d go with the Drop in Variable ND with way cheaper EF lenses. I think the EF 24mm 1.4 is stellar. 

19 hours ago, independent said:

They work well (AF and IS), except they aren’t corrected for distortion in-camera and are noisy (USM). If you’re looking to use an on-camera mic, go with RF Nano USM lenses. 

Only 3rd party are not corrected , most Canon EF lens have correction done in camera

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Only 3rd party are not corrected , most Canon EF lens have correction done in camera

..and as I learn the hard way with my Pocket (my favorite Olympus 12-100mm is just..ok...), that is a huge issue with modern lenses.

I have the 18-135, is pretty silent. It is the last version though.

Can one adapt EF-S lenses on an RF camera with the ND adapter? Do they have a crop mode?

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Really? Such as?

None of my EF lenses can be corrected in-camera on either the R5 or R. The option is simply grayed out. Also, the R5 manual states that RF lenses are corrected during movie shooting. No comment about EF, but Canon USA confirms the R doesn’t support EF lens correction.:

90DDF4B4-F8B7-403E-B98F-EBC06C1432E0.jpeg

Here is the info from the R5 Manual:12D82195-4075-42A7-9720-E6994E6C6E6D.jpeg

1 minute ago, independent said:

Really? Such as?

None of my EF lenses can be corrected in-camera on either the R5 or R. The option is simply grayed out. Also, the R5 manual states that RF lenses are corrected during movie shooting. No comment about EF, but Canon USA confirms the R doesn’t support EF lens correction. 

Ohoh didnt realise on video it doesnt.