FX6 teased by Sony. Announcement coming?

Trankilstef

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Ok, let's talk about SEX for a moment here. And by sex, I of course mean lenses...

Are there any lenses that take advantage of the AF systems on the FX6 / FX9 or C70 that are either parfocal or at least have minimal focus breathing? 

Because that's the great thing about the Panasonic lenses for the S series of cameras. For example, with my S1 I can go from an out of focus shot to... ummm... a more out of focus shot with minimal breathing.

Panasonic S lenses are extremely good in video, my 24-70 is parfocal and shows minimal breathing. Same for the 20-60. Incredible how they do everything right, but people are so caught up into the perfect AF quest that they don't see everything else Panasonic offers for video. I mean, they give the best out there for professional video into mirrorless bodies (not talking about real cine cameras). But people don't see that. I mean it's not as if loads of wonderful films and videos were made without AF.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

Panasonic S lenses are extremely good in video, my 24-70 is parfocal and shows minimal breathing. Same for the 20-60. Incredible how they do everything right, but people are so caught up into the perfect AF quest that they don't see everything else Panasonic offers for video. I mean, they give the best out there for professional video into mirrorless bodies (not talking about real cine cameras). But people don't see that. I mean it's not as if loads of wonderful films and videos were made without AF.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I regularly curse at the top of my lungs at my S1 when trying to use autofocus... even for stills I get a lot of times when it focuses perfectly on the background instead of a well illuminated subject. I guess a a trombone looks a lot like a human head to the face recognition algorithm.

But the linear manual focus feature and the ability to customize the amount of rotation to go from minimum focus distance to infinity focus are really nice, too. And when the AF DOES focus correctly, the way it eases out and eases in to the focus point is really nice.

(On the other hand, I would imagine that the power zoom feature on certain Sony lenses could be nice too if they were parfocal.)

I am sure Canon and Sony have great lenses but I am completely ignorant of any that will behave like cinema lenses and still maintain autofocs. Maybe they are out there and I just don't know about them???

56 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Weird release. Would have much preferred an oversampled 4K image. The dual iso gains are way too far apart for a cinema camera.

Full frame is great though. Canon better release a C90 FF with R5 internals.

I really can't see them doing this, all their "affordable" c-series options are all aps-c.

Cheapest c-line with FF is c-500 at 20K so... if they did do it, they would probably price it above FX9...

4 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I really can't see them doing this, all their "affordable" c-series options are all aps-c.

Cheapest c-line with FF is c-500 at 20K so... if they did do it, they would probably price it above FX9...

I know they have the speedbooster but people in the lower end cinema camera territory would probably prefer a native FF camera. I suspect your right though.

All is being revealed!

4K 10.2MP full-frame sensor

UHD up to 120p

4K DCI up to 60p

Base ISO 800 (Cine EI S-Log3)

Claimed 15+ stops of DR

High Sensitivity setting of 12,800 ISO

AF with face detection and Eye-AF

4K 4:2:2 10bit internal recording

S-Cinetone

External RAW recording with Atomos Shogun7

HD up to 180 fps

Electronic Variable ND

Four channels of audio recording

12G/6G/3G SDI

TC In/Out

User uploadable LUTS

Watched the gerald undone review of the FX6 this morning.

Kind of confused that 4K Long GOP is only in 8-bit, and you would need to shoot in All-I for 10-bit 4K

Lack of even a 3.5mm mic jack on the body itself means if you take the top handle off to fly on a gimbal, you won't have any audio (except for tiny mic built in to body) is also a bummer. 

Phillip Bloom seemed pretty distraught over the handling.

Dynamic range the same as a7S III???

Seems like for a lot of people the a7S III might be a better fit...

3 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Watched the gerald undone review of the FX6 this morning.

Kind of confused that 4K Long GOP is only in 8-bit, and you would need to shoot in All-I for 10-bit 4K

Lack of even a 3.5mm mic jack on the body itself means if you take the top handle off to fly on a gimbal, you won't have any audio (except for tiny mic built in to body) is also a bummer. 

Phillip Bloom seemed pretty distraught over the handling.

Definitely some weird choices. I will say the E-ND will make the far apart dual ISO's a lot more manageable. 

6 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

They've got to differentiate the FX6 and FX9 "somehow". 
Otherwise the FX6 is too good, upsetting many FX9 owners as it steps on their toes. 

At least it still has the BNC TC input! Which is far more important for syncing with the sound department. 
Plus it still has the smart shoe you could use if you really really want to feed audio into the camera while on a gimbal?

That's not a bad thing. 

Yes, for lots of people that is true. If they're casual / hobbyist / indie semi-pro filmmakers. In fact, I'd argue that even cheaper cameras like a a7mk4/X-T4/GH5/E2-M4/P4K/Z6mk2/S5/etc 

But if they're shooting every week with their camera and get paid a fair rate for it, then it is a no brainer to get an FX6 over an a7Smk4! (although, they just might end up getting both)

When the Pocket 4K came out, much was made of its lack of evf.  How unusual then to see Canon and Sony issuing video dedicated cameras with the same omission.  

This is a step up from the C70 with fullframe and proper xlr inputs, albeit needing the handle to utilise them.  I prefer the C70 body to be honest.

Its a good production camera like the C70, and it'll be interesting to see how the images compare.  

I still want to see Panasonic try their own version of the Canon C70 and especially for Blackmagic to give us something that sits between the size and features of the P6K and the URSA 12K.  Both would, I'd wager find more favour with me.  However, I'm so glad Canon and Sony are now offering small cameras, dedicated to video rather than relying on hybrids to fulfil that function; which though have things like IBIS, are often limited in video specs in several crucial ways.

Some here feel the absence of IBIS a con, but whilst I feel its useful on hybrids, I'm not so sure I want it on cameras like the FX6.  I've never missed IBIS on my Pocket cameras.  In fact, I'm grateful as I felt I relied too much with it prior on my GH5, resulting in shots less measured and more prone to warping on wide angle lenses.  I think there is room in ones kit for a hybrid with IBIS and a dedicated video camera without it.  Both bring their own advanatges to shooting.  Theres no such thing as one camera to rule them all, just the best one for a particular job.

55 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Some here feel the absence of IBIS a con, but whilst I feel its useful on hybrids, I'm not so sure I want it on cameras like the FX6.  I've never missed IBIS on my Pocket cameras.  In fact, I'm grateful as I felt I relied too much with it prior on my GH5, resulting in shots less measured and more prone to warping on wide angle lenses.  I think there is room in ones kit for a hybrid with IBIS and a dedicated video camera without it.  Both bring their own advanatges to shooting.  Theres no such thing as one camera to rule them all, just the best one for a particular job.

I've never got why people mark this down as such a big con. My favourite camera from the past few years was my C100 Mk2, didn't need IBIS at all. The form factor doesn't need it. The main reason for IBIS (IMO) on the hybrids are the form factors aren't designed for video use, they're stills cameras and they're not the easiest to hold steady. 

Read this comment elsewhere: "this camera will most likely get Netflix certified whereas the A7sIII probably never will."  
Which instantly made my mind go *click*!

Ohhhhhhh........... now I realize why the FX6 has timecode I/O when the FS5 (and even the stock FS7) never had it! Purely so that they can get the "Netflix Certified" branding, which will do wonders for their marketing. (even though for 99.999999% of us, if a camera is "Netflix Certified" or not should be meaningless. But unfortunately the reality is the Average Joe in their mind seems to make a big deal out of this when considering a new camera purchase)