diy in front of sensor ND

gethin

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, gethin said:

how hard can it be?

i know theres a company that makes them, but not for my z-6.  i guess id' need to cut a rectangle out of a filter. is this a terrible idea? 😄

Exactly. It shouldn’t be. My Bolex from the 60s has an internal ND slot built in... Takes two seconds to drop in a filter. The cost and development required wouldn’t give companies a high enough ROI... So nobody does it.

I think I remember someone developing a internal ND for the original black magic pocket. If I remember correctly, it took a few minutes to install. 

The problem is you change the flange focal distance so markings on the lens are going to be off, may not seem like much of a problem, but your lenses won’t focus to infinity or go past it and with anamorphic it’s a bigger problem cause both spherical and cylindrical glass has to be precisely focused at the same distance. That’s why on focal reducers for example, the adapters are shorter than on regular adapters.

Do you know about the electrochromic rear view mirrors?

"With the electrochromic material added to an auto-dimming mirror, electric voltage changes the way in which it absorbs and reflects light. An auto-dimming mirror usually has a set of cameras or sensors (photodiode-based photodetectors) that are light-sensitive semiconductors, which turn light into current."

There are more basic functions like glasses, e.t.c

It seems that when applying a tiny electric voltage you can control such mirror at will.

If anyone has the ability to put a very good neutral material in front, and control the darkening with steps (or f stops) then we would have amazing eNDs.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

It seems that when applying a tiny electric voltage you can control such mirror at will.

I think Doc Brown has already made an eND like this. Oh wait, no, it was @BTM_Pix

5 hours ago, elgabogomez said:

The problem is you change the flange focal distance so markings on the lens are going to be off

If I recall correctly, many Canon L lenses have rear filter slots. I'm not sure if there's NDs built for them, but I would assume so. And there may be a few other lenses with a similar design.

image.png.965db67552917ca3dcc8b30019df253e.png

21 hours ago, Timotheus said:

@gethin I use the Fotodiox Vizelex ND Pro adapter, EF to Nik Z. Super practical.

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/vizelex-nd-throttle-adapters/products/eos-nikz-pro-ndthrtl

yep no good for me, I've got nikon glass on nikon bodies, and i want to keep my lens control 

ANyhoo, I ordered a cheapish ND, some bizzarely cheap Nds to practice on and a glass cutter.  I have seem someone saying that gel NDs dont give focus issues, which might be OK, but havent been able to find any. (Or at least not for sensible amounts of money).  

I wonder if the location of the ND makes a difference to the focus issues? Is it better to be close to the sensor, or close to the lens?