Canon Cinema EOS C70 - Ah that explains it then!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

And speaking of the lovely C70...

Has anyone else had the issue of Slow&Fast motion, with or without sound, disabling external recording? I was DPing some shoots last week using the C70 professionally for the first time, using a Ninja V as a monitor and recoding backups on it. My 23.976 A-roll recorded just fine on both the camera card and the Ninja. Whenever I hit the button I'd preset to S&F, hitting record on the camera wouldn't trigger the Ninja to record, though I could still monitor everything. 

I switched to duel recording internal instead of relay, until I got low on card 1 space and had to switch back, but I haven't sorted throuhg all the footage yet to see if I was gettting dual internal copies each time I hit record while dual record was selected internally.

Luckily, I didn't have any card malfuntions, so didn't really need the backups. It's nice for peace of mind, though, and I don't like shooting for somebody else without being able to do so. 

S&F with sound didn't seem to actually record sound, but that's a different issue. 

If there is a setting I'm missing to enable external recoridng in S&F, I'd sure love to know what it is. It is very helpful, for me at least, to record my backups on the Ninja and keep the C70 on relay record. Becuase a monitor is a MUST for outdoor shooting (90 percent of what I do) it's also really helpful when looking at the Ninja and catching fast-changing action to see the red tally signal around the recorder's screen to let me know I'm recording. If external recording is completely a no-go in S&F, that would be a huge bummer. It's so convenient to switch on the fly at the touch of a button, and I'm not looking forward to having to buy a bunch of V90 cards when I've got rwo 1TB SSD's for the Ninja.

Yay Canon!

1 hour ago, EphraimP said:

S&F with sound didn't seem to actually record sound, but that's a different issue. 

It record audio separately to another card at same time, the video part don't have sound.

1 hour ago, EphraimP said:

Were you running the R5 then? 

Yeah, I provide the C70 and R5 but I use R5 so i m not too tired.  I was shooting for 12hrs the day before on another job.

S&F 4k120p works on 420 10bit on V30 cards, not sure how long it will record as I only tried for 30s, it doesn't work on 422 10bit as it stops after 1~2 seconds.

6 hours ago, EphraimP said:

If external recording is completely a no-go in S&F, that would be a huge bummer.

I believe it’s 2K only? But you’d get ProRes 422 HQ, rather than the lower bit rate internal. 

I have experienced buffer errors with the C70 and 120FPS. I’ve tried both the most expensive ProGrade and Sandisk cards... I’m not sure if the issue is heat, or the amount of files on the card. (I’ve experienced this when shooting 24fps and then moving to 120fps in the same structure.) I’ve had issues with both 1080 and 4k which is bizarre. 

Every other mode is perfect. That alone is a bit of a selling point for the C300 Mkiii. The media issue is problematic.

• 1 month later...

Hi. Just got my C70 and have a couple of what feel like silly questions on whether my unit is assembled correctly. 

All the buttons with numbers have a nice positive click except number 10, the one shot AF button. It's stiffer and not much in the way of a click at all. Is this normal?

The top wheel that adjusts the iris has a very positive action. But the small rear wheel near the top right is much looser and although it clicks,  it's very subtle. Is that normal?

20 hours ago, jonstatt said:

Hi. Just got my C70 and have a couple of what feel like silly questions on whether my unit is assembled correctly. 

All the buttons with numbers have a nice positive click except number 10, the one shot AF button. It's stiffer and not much in the way of a click at all. Is this normal?

The top wheel that adjusts the iris has a very positive action. But the small rear wheel near the top right is much looser and although it clicks,  it's very subtle. Is that normal?

Exactly the same with my C70. So I think its normal. The rear wheel is a mess as also the joystick. Can't understand the decision to make it this loose. HDMI port placement is also terrible. 

But in overall its a great camera and I enjoy it more and more with every job. The last time I worked with an another camera operator with an a7sIII and saw how he was suffering with his rig, nd filters, batteries, cables and so on. with this camera it is so much more comfortable to work.

20 hours ago, jonstatt said:

I've had mine for a couple of weeks. My number 10 clicks but there is not much travel, my rear dial above the 'func' button is very loose. It is set to iso by default and I found myself changing values accidentally. I think I will disable it completely. 

I have used it on one shoot so far and I enjoyed using it. 

On 8/12/2021 at 9:18 AM, Fairkid said:

I've had mine for a couple of weeks. My number 10 clicks but there is not much travel, my rear dial above the 'func' button is very loose. It is set to iso by default and I found myself changing values accidentally. I think I will disable it completely. 

I have used it on one shoot so far and I enjoyed using it. 

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what Canon were thinking with that rear dial. You said your 10 clicks but do you find you have to press harder than other buttons to get it to respond? 

Overall the camera is great. Straight forward to use and the form factor works for me and adds versatility. Just wish it had raw.

4 hours ago, jonstatt said:

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what Canon were thinking with that rear dial. You said your 10 clicks but do you find you have to press harder than other buttons to get it to respond? 

Overall the camera is great. Straight forward to use and the form factor works for me and adds versatility. Just wish it had raw.

Yes mine is different to the other buttons in terms of its travel. The recess within which the button sits is smaller. Perhaps they designed it so you rock your lower finger over it whilst the top of the finger sits on the record button.

I really like the camera so far too, the dynamic range seems excellent.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:11 AM, pvlvsk said:

Exactly the same with my C70. So I think its normal. The rear wheel is a mess as also the joystick. Can't understand the decision to make it this loose. HDMI port placement is also terrible. 

But in overall its a great camera and I enjoy it more and more with every job. The last time I worked with an another camera operator with an a7sIII and saw how he was suffering with his rig, nd filters, batteries, cables and so on. with this camera it is so much more comfortable to work.

Thanks for the response. Canon definitely know how and can do better with the ergonomics . But totally agree the C70 makes for a lower stress shoot!

On 8/12/2021 at 9:11 AM, pvlvsk said:

Yes I hate the HDMI placement! It's exactly where my hand naturally wants to rest when hand holding the camera. 

Filmed again with the C70 today and it is very liberating (coming recently from BMPCC and Mirrorless) having it all in one box with great battery life, NDs and superb audio preamps. Colours are easy to work with and the dynamic range is very good.

• 4 months later...

Yes, I'd say it's pretty significant. 12-bit Raw on the C300 just gives an added depth and richness to the image that 10-bit can't achieve. I was always amazed by the C200's raw and found it pretty stunning, but the DGO sensor adds a whole extra level of usability.

This update makes the C70 probably the finest cinema camera under $9k. I also love that it's an even lighter version of raw (645mbps), which will make it way more useful in a variety of situations.

Time and tests will tell, but I would think the 12-bit image should be a pretty big jump in IQ - and that's saying something coming from that sensor.