Canon Cinema EOS C70 - Ah that explains it then!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I m really impressed with C70 so far on this one limited shoot, the black is soo bloody clean! And the Stalman lut is really nice, more pop and nicer uniform skintone unlike Canon lut which can go over the place.

Next few weeks will have some big project, so eager to shoot with it!  My R5's only grace is IBIS and FF look..

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I m really impressed with C70 so far on this one limited shoot, the black is soo bloody clean! And the Stalman lut is really nice, more pop and nicer uniform skintone unlike Canon lut which can go over the place.

Next few weeks will have some big project, so eager to shoot with it!  My R5's only grace is IBIS and FF look..

Are you editing in Premiere or Resolve?

Speaking of the FF look, are you using the Canon EF to R speedbooster, R lenses, or one of the other EF to R adapters? I picked up the Speedbooster and a 24-70 F4L to go with my 17-40 F4L and 70-200 F2.8L. I'm too busy editing projects to do more than point the C70 at my dog when he wonders into the office and jumps up on my futon and record a couple seconds of b-roll. I shot some 60p slow-mo in low light, 6,400 ISO I think, that looks fairly good in Clog 2. Haven't played with color grading it yet.

43 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

Are you editing in Premiere or Resolve?

Speaking of the FF look, are you using the Canon EF to R speedbooster, R lenses, or one of the other EF to R adapters? I picked up the Speedbooster and a 24-70 F4L to go with my 17-40 F4L and 70-200 F2.8L. I'm too busy editing projects to do more than point the C70 at my dog when he wonders into the office and jumps up on my futon and record a couple seconds of b-roll. I shot some 60p slow-mo in low light, 6,400 ISO I think, that looks fairly good in Clog 2. Haven't played with color grading it yet.

Editing in Premiere.

We dont have speedbooster atm, thought might get one in the future but not at this stage.  Atm i m just using clog3, havent tried clog2 yet.

On 5/13/2021 at 11:31 PM, ntblowz said:

Shadow integrity is phenomenal on the camera.  Would make using the (otherwise excellent) previous gen cameras like the C300 mkii, and the C200, a bit of a pain now.

Agree about the official Canon LUTs - they are a disaster.  Not quite sure how they've allowed that to happen.  I actually genuinely believe some of my early concerns, re: highlight rendition, etc. may have been down to how people have been applying the official LUT! 😲  

Would recommend trying out CLOG2 over CLOG3, as the latter is really designed to protect shadow in a way that isn't really necessary with DGO.

10 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

Would recommend trying out CLOG2 over CLOG3, as the latter is really designed to protect shadow in a way that isn't really necessary with DGO.

Yeah I m definitely wanting to try it for maximum DR

I just tried the C70 on RS2 with smallrig rs2 plate, it can just fit the c70 if you took grip stripe off and insert from the back of the gimbal, flying with it is no problem.

20210516_113255.jpg

20210516_114855.jpg

20210516_114907.jpg

20 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah I m definitely wanting to try it for maximum DR

I just tried the C70 on RS2 with smallrig rs2 plate, it can just fit the c70 if you took grip stripe off and insert from the back of the gimbal, flying with it is no problem.

20210516_113255.jpg

20210516_114855.jpg

20210516_114907.jpg

Yikes!  I'm going to be using that same combo on a shoot soon.  Do I need to get that baseplate or will the standard RS2 one work?

Out of curiosity I weigh the camera, without battery 1.2kg, with A30 battery 1.4kg, with sigma 18-35 and adapter it is 2.35kg, with handle probably another 100g. R5 with 18-35 and adapter is 1.65kg.

So C70 body with battery is nearly 2x weight of R5 body.

186493246_4383765158324848_1816499164087563330_n.jpg

186532565_464271198208657_1345176252895233853_n.jpg

186264963_508262087205403_5924687691682017343_n.jpg

On 5/17/2021 at 7:42 AM, ntblowz said:

Out of curiosity I weigh the camera, without battery 1.2kg, with A30 battery 1.4kg, with sigma 18-35 and adapter it is 2.35kg, with handle probably another 100g. R5 with 18-35 and adapter is 1.65kg.

So C70 body with battery is nearly 2x weight of R5 body.

186493246_4383765158324848_1816499164087563330_n.jpg

186532565_464271198208657_1345176252895233853_n.jpg

186264963_508262087205403_5924687691682017343_n.jpg

The weight is a good thing in my view.  I had to do some off-the-cuff hand-held shots with no rig.  No micro-judder!  None!  I decided to build some more handheld into my project.  Built like a mirrorless, but really handles like a camcorder.

eta: I was using the A60 (or whatever the larger battery is called) though.

9 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

The weight is a good thing in my view.  I had to do some off-the-cuff hand-held shots with no rig.  No micro-judder!  None!  I decided to build some more handheld into my project.  Built like a mirrorless, but really handles like a camcorder.

I agree that weight is nice, but this camera does not have enough. I added a cage and monitor with a battery and it feels a bit better. I still think IS lenses are clutch. 

My C70 with the cage (no monitor) is only 10 ounces less than a stripped down C300 Mkii. Kind of interesting. The C70 is still a better gimbal camera and easier to pack around, but it's not exactly a light weight DSLR.

The big bummer is the lack of EVF. You lose that point of contact. It was on purpose so people would be forced to buy a C300iii for a true documentary camera.

IMG_3375.jpg

On 5/15/2021 at 6:37 AM, Mmmbeats said:

Shadow integrity is phenomenal on the camera.  Would make using the (otherwise excellent) previous gen cameras like the C300 mkii, and the C200, a bit of a pain now.

Agree about the official Canon LUTs - they are a disaster.  Not quite sure how they've allowed that to happen.  I actually genuinely believe some of my early concerns, re: highlight rendition, etc. may have been down to how people have been applying the official LUT! 😲  

CLOG3 / BT.709 can be nice though. You don't need a LUT and it is easily gradable by just adding contrast.  You don't actually gain any information in the highlights, just way way down in the shadows.

2 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I agree that weight is nice, but this camera does not have enough. I added a cage and monitor with a battery and it feels a bit better. I still think IS lenses are clutch. 

My C70 with the cage (no monitor) is only 10 ounces less than a stripped down C300 Mkii. Kind of interesting. The C70 is still a better gimbal camera and easier to pack around, but it's not exactly a light weight DSLR.

The big bummer is the lack of EVF. You lose that point of contact. It was on purpose so people would be forced to buy a C300iii for a true documentary camera.

IMG_3375.jpg

Ah - now that you mention it, both the hire lenses I was using had IS engaged!  I'd forgotten that because I generally own manual, non-stabilised glass, so I had mis-remembered the setup.  Apologies!

5 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

Ah - now that you mention it, both the hire lenses I was using had IS engaged!  I'd forgotten that because I generally own manual, non-stabilised glass, so I had mis-remembered the setup.  Apologies!

I'm weary of the internal IS, but it can work as well. It's good at removing minor shake if you're trying to get a locked off looking shot. I bet it would work great with a 18-35 Sigma.

This dude used the internal IS for an entire mini doc. Pretty surprising that someone would have that much confidence in it. His quote below is pretty solid.

http://www.danmccomb.com/covid-nurse-short-doc-tests-c500mkii-on-front-lines-of-the-pandemic/

"The C500mkii is the first professional digital cinema camera that Canon has made that features IS built right into the camera body. In testing, I found it works very well when you are trying to keep the camera still, but it’s less effective when you’re intentionally moving the camera. It does a great job smoothing out footage you want to keep steady, but a poor job of smoothing out footage you want to keep in motion."

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Music video shot with mostly C70 and a bit of R5, both on clog3

Thought that was Raj Singh in the video when I was watching it, pleased I got that right when I checked out the credits!