Canon Cinema EOS C70 - Ah that explains it then!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
30 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

Well the C200 is already taller than the C70 before you add a monitor, SolidPod, etc.

True. But it's also much longer, so it seems like overall a better form factor. With a cage, you can mount accessories like a SolidPod to the side, right?

Also, for me, it might be desirable to go with a 5" monitor on the C70. I'm not a big fan of smaller monitors or the dslr-style flip out vs the externa monitor configuration of cine cameras that can be moved around more easily and are better for positions such as holding the camera into your body for better stability hand holding. 

If you plan to use the camera almost always on sticks, a monopod or gimbal, the C70 body style is probably great. If you do a lot of handheld or handheld with an Easyrig style stabilizer, I think the traditional cine camera style is probably better. As with most things, it's a matter of personal shooting style.

10 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

I thought I was quite okay with C300iii RAW, but now I can't seem to find any really nice examples of it.  Seems C200 and C300ii RAW is much nicer (creamy, organic, whatever).

Are there any examples of C300iii RAW films that anybody particularly likes?  Thinking in reference to a possible C200ii mainly.

No, I can’t find any either. From what I have seen, the DGO sensor is worse than the sensor on the C300 Mkii or the C200. You don’t even need to shoot raw to that look on the C300 mkii - 12 bit 1080p or 4K 10 bit both look excellent.

This is coming from someone who just bought the C70 but has used the C300 mkii on hundreds of shoots. To top it off, my initial tests don’t show the sensor to be any cleaner than the older ones. Kind of a disappointment...

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Shot a few times with it handheld, and yikes, the tension it puts on your right wrist as it tries to twist it around is immense. Not really a super comfortable camera to shoot with like that. Too tall!

I personally love the camera and I find the weight and form factor to be great for shooting from the hip. You need to have your left hand supporting some weight on the lens, with your other hand in the grip. Shooting eye level handheld is another story, not realistic unless you strip down the top handle and monitor.

6 hours ago, independent said:

Quite a few successful docs and feature films were shot on the c300, including the Oscar winner OJ: Made in America and the great German film Victoria.

Cameras get better, but talent stays the same. 

Well if they had an Oscar category for tallest camera utilisation, it would have done pretty well too. 

The last few days I had some conversations with people in the trade (for various reasons) and everyone is talking about the C70, most of them wait to see how the 2021 will develop though, it is not high time for "investements", but there is a lot of real hype about this camera.

I remember similar hype with the C100 cameras, A7sII and the GH5. Just sayin'.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

The last few days I had some conversations with people in the trade (for various reasons) and everyone is talking about the C70, most of them wait to see how the 2021 will develop though, it is not high time for "investements"

I am in the same boat.  I need to see how 2021 develops before investing in a new camera.  By the time I know if I can expect a good year in 2021, the C200 Mark ii will either be out or at least announced and I can decide between  it or the C70.  

The smaller form factor of the C70 is nice, but the lack of RAW and EVF are annoying omissions for me.  Plus I'm not a fan of being tied to SD cards only for recording internally.  I've preferred CFast card recording on my Pocket.  As much as I've valued the mirrorless form for my cameras, I prefer the C200 body if I'm honest over the C70.

26 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

I am in the same boat.  I need to see how 2021 develops before investing in a new camera.  By the time I know if I can expect a good year in 2021, the C200 Mark ii will either be out or at least announced and I can decide between  it or the C70.  

The smaller form factor of the C70 is nice, but the lack of RAW and EVF are annoying omissions for me.  Plus I'm not a fan of being tied to SD cards only for recording internally.  I've preferred CFast card recording on my Pocket.  As much as I've valued the mirrorless form for my cameras, I prefer the C200 body if I'm honest over the C70.

Recently shot a project with both and much preferred the C200's form factor. It's just more comfortable to shoot on the fly stuff. If the C200 MkII has a good 4K 10bit codec and is reasonably priced I'll definitely upgrade. 

I've got one on order as it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

I agree with everyone criticising the awkward form factor of the older Cinema EOS cameras. It felt like they had gotten better over the years and the C200 size and shape is quite reasonable, however this feels more like the final form of this line. If they can cut size and weight, they should. I used to travel a fair bit and breaking down a C300 or C200 into a carry-on Peli was always a squeeze.

It's funny how they tried everything out along the way, including the monstrous C700, in order to come back to something very similar to the 1DC. I think this time around it'll be very popular.

For my work, I've noticed 2 types of job - ones where they want it to look like a commercial (use Arri) or they just want it to look better than a phone (use this). 

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

There has been very little on it so far. I wonder if it is a availability problem or lack of interest.

Availability. They’re really hard to get ahold of. I just got one of a few from a local shop here in Seattle.

Seems very good so far. My vintage Olympus and Nikon glass with adapters also hit infinity perfect, meaning the flange distance is properly calibrated (this was an issue with the metabones right out of the box.)

my 35mm F2 IS works great with the speed booster and AF. I don’t really have much to say besides the adapter works as it should. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...