Canon Cinema EOS C70 - Ah that explains it then!

Andrew Reid

On 11/5/2020 at 2:28 PM, BenEricson said:

Man, I just don't see it. I love the specs, but a lot of this footage just reminds me of cheap DSLR footage with a poor attempt at a "film look." 

The C300ii or older canon footage, (pre DGO sensor,) looks dynamic and beautiful with very accurate and balanced color.

I do believe that you can a get a more neutral / classic look with this camera, but curious why a lot of the videos have a similar look. Maybe trying to grade a C-LOG2 file from scratch? 

I've heard multiple people mention they love the IQ and the reviewer above is raving about it. The specs and size are great, and the images have a low noise floor, but do these images really knock people off their feet? All the praise over these images makes it sounds like we're all talking about the Komodo or something.

https://vimeo.com/472141764 / More C70

https://youtu.be/ohTfU1trOIo / Random C300 Mk2 video

Download the C70 footage Trankilstef linked to and play with it yourself. It's the same footage that's graded in the video you apparently don't link. I screwed around with it a bit and found it's very flexible and the coded isn't too hard on the machine. I didn't find that the original LOG footage had a cheap DSLR look. Maybe you just object to the way some people have been grading it. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

Wow, that's earlier than expected. Looking forward to a post on how you like working with it.

I said a few years ago my “perfect camera” for video would be an XC15 style camera with at least S35 and up to 4k120 10bit. Then they released it. 

I also have the A7SIII and looking forward to comparing. I predict I’ll keep hold of both. The A7SIII is a triumph. 

52 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Just had an email to say my C70 will be delivered by tomorrow! 

That's awesome! I would love to see some shots with EOS Standard or maybe just Wide DR to get an idea of what the the image looks like straight out of the camera. 

For instance, the color of the dress in this example jumps around dramatically. I think I am likely seeing the difference between maybe Log-2 on the C70 and the original C-Log on the R5?

If I had to guess, I would suspect the R5 is producing the more golden looking skin tone, while the C70 looks a bit more red/orange. The saturation is a little crazy on the second frame, but the color looks more true / balanced to my eyes. 

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEO2DHysE6k

C70.jpg

Log1.jpg

C70_2.jpg

It’s arrived. Just charging batteries but first impressions of the body...

- Great form factor, makes total sense although could be nice to have a compact EVF somewhere. 

- It’s much more lightweight than I thought. Doesn’t feel that much heavier than the A7SIII. 

- Body is solid, but the material is definitely a bit more budget than other C-series. 

- LCD is larger than I thought, although it’s on the flimsy side. 

- Button layout is great. Everything is there although the “media” button is almost impossible to press with your right hand on the grip. 

- The top handle is neat however the texture feels weird. Others might not mind, but I think I’ll have to wrap some extra material round it, haha. 

In conclusion, Canon have stripped back the premium feel a little to give us a camera with great features at a great price point. The form factor makes sense and they’ve done a great job of fusing these bodies together. 

Now, let’s see how it does on the field. 

9D9F4A12-4E58-4C80-8470-921D4A305DBD.jpeg

6FAB824C-1F72-4205-B61E-B3D567004262.jpeg

41E591A8-38CD-48B5-B6B5-F12A9D615ED3.jpeg

EDC1B3FF-40F9-45CD-89E4-42B0C762120F.jpeg

Just had it powered up and walking round the house filming absolutely nothing. 

- Easy to use and setup. Menu’s are well organised. 

- The touch function to change settings like frame rates is incredible. I hated this on the EVA1. It felt like an eternity! This is super fast. 

- Digital IS is actually very impressive! On my Sigma 18-35 it was very steady. 

- DPAF works well with the standard EF adapter and my Sigma. Not quite as snappy as my Sony A7SIII does wish native glass but very, very usable. Only bad thing is it makes quite a bit of noise when changing focus. I can’t afford RF yet. 

- Sometimes like you get with IBIS, with DIS the image doesn’t feel robotic. Looks natural. 

- Some of the buttons are hard to reach with your right hand on the grip. Maybe I’ll loosen the strap more. 

- The joystick takes some getting used to. I keep making navigation mistakes. 

- With an EF lens like Sigma 18-35, somehow I felt the focus ring was too far for me to reach when hand holding. I think this is just that I’m used to other cameras, and this form factor is new so I just need to adjust. 

- More pleasurable time hold than the A7SIII, however I’m still stunned what that tiny body can do! 

- Camera doesn’t feel heavy at all with lens and battery. They’ve done a great job. 

I can't believe that they offer us what we wanted. I am sure after a couple of jobs you will be reaching for the Canon a lot more than the Sony.

Go get some cheap nano lenses (18-135mm), I am sure they will be amazing for AF and ultra silent, and good all around (never liked the Sigma, sorry, too short, not too wide).

I keep getting a bit worried/distracted/obsessed by the highlight rendition with this camera.  The wedding film, above, doesn't look as nice overall as the previous stills.  Don't get me wrong, it's a nice piece, and I'm sure the families will be delighted, but the highlights do look quite abruptly clipped in places, and it does lend it a bit of a DSLR-y feel.

Am I being paranoid?

21 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

I keep getting a bit worried/distracted/obsessed by the highlight rendition with this camera.  The wedding film, above, doesn't look as nice overall as the previous stills.  Don't get me wrong, it's a nice piece, and I'm sure the families will be delighted, but the highlights do look quite abruptly clipped in places, and it does lend it a bit of a DSLR-y feel.

Am I being paranoid?

It was also shot on the R5, so its hard to judge the C70 on this video.  I'm not sure which clip is which, when watching on via YouTube on my phone.  Some colours look great, others less so.  Some handle highlights better than others. 

7 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

It was also shot on the R5, so its hard to judge the C70 on this video.  I'm not sure which clip is which, when watching on via YouTube on my phone.  Some colours look great, others less so.  Some handle highlights better than others. 

I posted some frames above. The one in the middle is the R5. I am almost certain. The color is more accurate and the skin tones pop without the need to shift everything towards red/pink. (look at the dress.)

7 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

Am I being paranoid?

No. I notice the exact same issue with the C300 Mk3 as well. (same sensor.)

I though this example was pretty nice. The skin tones look very clean. That being said, there is something about all of the examples that have this very video looking feel. If you don't know what I mean, watch some Komodo footage.

On 11/12/2020 at 6:12 PM, BenEricson said:

I posted some frames above. The one in the middle is the R5. I am almost certain. The color is more accurate and the skin tones pop without the need to shift everything towards red/pink. (look at the dress.)

I though this example was pretty nice. The skin tones look very clean. That being said, there is something about all of the examples that have this very video looking feel. If you don't know what I mean, watch some Komodo footage.

There’s something wrong with this example you’ve shared. There’s some weird sharpening or bad compression severely affecting the image. Also the exposure for many of the shots is significantly off. 

20 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

There’s something wrong with this example you’ve shared. There’s some weird sharpening or bad compression severely affecting the image. Also the exposure for many of the shots is significantly off. 

It's labelled as C70, but it might not be.  Lots of people spoof early-release cameras for clicks.

On 11/12/2020 at 6:12 PM, BenEricson said:

I think the C300iii RAW looks really nice.  The C300iii is really the camera I want.  It's well out of my price range, but maybe I should just pull out all the stops and aim for it.  Apart from price (which I don't have too much complaint about, just can't afford) it ticks every box I can think of.

4 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

I think the C300iii RAW looks really nice.  The C300iii is really the camera I want.  It's well out of my price range, but maybe I should just pull out all the stops and aim for it.  Apart from price (which I don't have too much complaint about, just can't afford) it ticks every box I can think of.

Agreed. The C300iii looks great. The RF mount is very exciting and has an advantage over the EF. These two lenses in particular., both very fast lenses with IS and macro. The prices are also great. Both are under 600. 

Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM Lens

Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens

Canon colour is one of those things that's said to be good so often, its accepted as fact...  even though those saying it are not really scrutinising the colour in the same indepth analysis as they would use,  say for example Sony colour.  

To be fair, I'm not immune to this and would judge Canon colour superior to Sony.. but maybe its because the vast majority of videos out there are not properly colour graded, and Canon therefore appeals more to those who don't have skills in that area, and which has colours that can look mostly appealing SOOC.