Canon Cinema EOS C70 - Ah that explains it then!

Andrew Reid

As mad as I am at Canon right now, this camera looks amazing.  Now we all know why they crippled the R6 and R5, they really wanted you to buy this camera. This could be the GH5 replacement I was waiting for (dual slot recording, XLR audio, good AF, RAW 4k60FPS output, 4K120FPS in body, no overheating, no recording time limits, small enough to fit on a one handed gimbal, uses my existing Canon glass). My biggest problem though is I still would need to lug around my 5DIV for hybrid shoots....so annoying.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This will be horrible for handheld without an evf, waving the camera in front of you like the good old days of dslr. No thanks. So annoying this seems to be the way camera companies are going with their small cameras. Would rather use a mirrorless hybrid and put up with screw on nd filters and  audio than that

4 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

My biggest problem though is I still would need to lug around my 5DIV for hybrid shoots....so annoying.

Exactly. This is how I feel also. A lot of camera's to choose from this year though. I think I am getting an S5 at this point. Which can handle hybrid shoots, or family shoots or travel shoots(especially done with carrying a lot of camera's during travel, going back to 1 camera, 1 lens I think for travel). 

6 minutes ago, ade towell said:

This will be horrible for handheld without an evf, waving the camera in front of you like the good old days of dslr. No thanks. So annoying this seems to be the way camera companies are going with their small cameras. Would rather use a mirrorless hybrid and put up with screw on nd filters and  audio than that

I have never even looked through my GH5's EVF, I always use the flip screen. It is way steadier to tuck your elbows and hold the camera with a 90 degree bend in your elbows close to your body than to try to use the EVF.  From there I can do pans, tilts, simulate slides, etc. all handheld.  If you mean using the EVF for shoulder work then yea they want you to buy a bigger model for that, but for handheld I hate the EVF, I completely disabled it in my GH5 to save the battery life.

3 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Exactly. This is how I feel also. A lot of camera's to choose from this year though. I think I am getting an S5 at this point. Which can handle hybrid shoots, or family shoots or travel shoots(especially done with carrying a lot of camera's during travel, going back to 1 camera, 1 lens I think for travel). 

I love the idea of the S5 but after buying that and a few L mount lenses it would cost me more than the C70. When I travel I actually just use my 5DIV, and the Mavic Pro, since my travel work is not paid and the 5DIV has really good 1080P which is enough for me to use as b-roll clips later on for things like music videos, nature etc.  If I am traveling on a paid assignment then usually it is just video and I take the GH5.  If I'm traveling for a paid hybrid gig then I lug the 5DIV with the 24-105 and the GH5 with a few lenses...so yea this camera doesn't help at all in that scenario.

I'm thinking even local hybrid shoots though, I would still need to lug around the C70 and the 5DIV.  Many times I just need photos and some b-roll video clips...I don't trust either the R5 or R6 to do this right now. For long form stuff I still have the C200.

5 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

I have never even looked through my GH5's EVF, I always use the flip screen. It is way steadier to tuck your elbows and hold the camera with a 90 degree bend in your elbows close to your body than to try to use the EVF.  From there I can do pans, tilts, simulate slides, etc. all handheld.  If you mean using the EVF for shoulder work then yea they want you to buy a bigger model for that, but for handheld I hate the EVF, I completely disabled it in my GH5 to save the battery life.

I love the idea of the S5 but after buying that and a few L mount lenses it would cost me more than the C70. When I travel I actually just use my 5DIV, and the Mavic Pro, since my travel work is not paid and the 5DIV has really good 1080P which is enough for me to use as b-roll clips later on for things like music videos, nature etc.  If I am traveling on a paid assignment then usually it is just video and I take the GH5.  If I'm traveling for a paid hybrid gig then I lug the 5DIV with the 24-105 and the GH5 with a few lenses...so yea this camera doesn't help at all in that scenario.

I'm thinking even local hybrid shoots though, I would still need to lug around the C70 and the 5DIV.  Many times I just need photos and some b-roll video clips...I don't trust either the R5 or R6 to do this right now. For long form stuff I still have the C200.

Well I have no intention in buying L lenses, I will just use an EF - L adapter. But yeah I wished the R5 or the R6 was the chosen camera, but the main problems with the R5 is high cost, overheating so trust issues but also the files arent edit friendly. (A7S III price is also too high, at least in Europe)

10 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

I have never even looked through my GH5's EVF, I always use the flip screen. It is way steadier to tuck your elbows and hold the camera with a 90 degree bend in your elbows close to your body than to try to use the EVF.  From there I can do pans, tilts, simulate slides, etc. all handheld.  

What do you do in bright sunlight? My ageing eyes struggle to hold the camera far enough away to be able to focus on a small screen these days but even in my youth I have always much preferred looking through a viewfinder. The way you suggest using the camera is way too low an angle for my liking most of the time  And i disagree about it being steadier but anyway don't want to digress too much. Still an exciting camera but I won't be getting one mainly for that reason. The same reason I didn't get an EVA1

GG bros.

I'm not replacing my R5, but I am def picking this up as a personal A camera (goodbye c300ii). 

This comes in half the price of comparable cinema cams with more features. Full frame (w/ adapter), DPAF, auto ISO, dual gain sensor, tiny size and associated grip package, cheaper media and associated storage/editing costs

It also knocks off all the hybrid cams: Internal NDs, full featured audio (xls for real shotgun mics, physical controls buttons), all the monitoring tools, no overheating, handle + mic adapter for no bullshit cage....

The only thing missing is IBIS, which is quite frankly overstated compared to regular optical stabilization. 

I'm just curious about the dynamic range v. the c300iii...I thought the dynamic range reached 16 stops only in raw.

A big *want* from me.  Will start saving fairly soon.  Sadly will be a long process as I also need to move house soon.

But this seems so close to perfect for my needs.  I'd prefer it to look a bit more 'cinema camera' just for client perception, but that is literally the only major flaw (from my own POV).   The price is lower than I was expecting. 

Unless the FX6 is in some way extraordinary, or another camera emerges prior to me being able to gather the finance (EVA-2?) I'm feeling inspired to purchase at this point.  Obviously, I need to see more footage, and wait to see how some of the tech holds up.   I hope the new thin NDs are robust enough for example.

External RAW would be nice.  They might just be holding off on that so as not to upset C300 III sales and recent purchasers.  But honestly, on first look - I'm thoroughly impressed.

1 hour ago, andrgl said:

Weak codecs. No locking mount (though clearly designed to be swapped). No SDI.

It’s an awesome ILC upgrade to the XC camcorder but calling this cinema is laughable.

Will continue saving for a URSA 12K.

The codecs are pretty annoying...strong for Canon but below avg for the competition. Editing those types of files nearly always need to be transcoded first. I do think it would do great for corporate work and it would be nice to use a single camera for both gimbal work as well as interview type work. Right now I use my C200 for interviews and tripod work and the GH5 for gimbal work and b-roll. For lower budget clients I could use this camera for both.  If I need RAW I can use the C200 or rent another body.

The URSA 12K looks great but it is over twice as much and the gimbal for it will cost more than this whole camera, not really considered a run and gun camera due to the extra rigging required, it will need proper lighting and rigging to get the most out of it, and the storage needs are astronomical. It definitely has its place but the URSA and C70 simply aren't meant for the same target audience. I like to stick with bodies that can shoot 90% of my work and for that last 10% I can always rent the gear needed for the project.

One thing I can't tell is if APS-C lenses will work with the C70. I know they have the speedbooster, but no one has said if the speed booster will only work with FF or will it work with APS-C lenses as well. My favorite C200 lens is the 18-35 Sigma APS-C lens.

No SDI. What a shame. Some directors like to see an image on their monitors, right! For image quality only I wouldnt buy it. For that price it needs to have SDI.

I second that, 2x S5 plus one Mamiya 645 speedbooster and two middle format lenses- Hallo IMAX! :),  plus a dummy FD adapter and two Canon FD lenses instead.

How about a YAWG thing with battery for the S5, Panasonic?

18 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

For those who talk about this camera for doc work, it wouldn't be better to buy 2x Panasonic S5?? Unless of course if you are full of Canon lenses. 

We're talking two unreleased cameras, but the internal NDs, mini XLRs, higher framerate 4K, and superior autofocus would make the Canon a clear winner over the S5 for docs.

Unless you literally have to have two cameras for $4000, in which case there's no point comparing them.

18 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

No SDI. What a shame. Some directors like to see an image on their monitors, right! For image quality only I wouldnt buy it. For that price it needs to have SDI.

I second that, 2x S5 plus one Mamiya 645 speedbooster and two middle format lenses- Hallo IMAX! :),  plus a dummy FD adapter and two Canon FD lenses instead.

How about a YAWG thing with battery for the S5, Panasonic?

I think picking up a C70 used for around $4K USD would be worth it vs. the S5. That way I'm not giving Canon my money, I'm getting a gimbal camera that can do 4K120, internal NDs, internal XLR, Canon color, and Canon AF.  The problem of course is holding out long enough for a used one at $4K to come along.