Canon Cinema EOS C70 - Ah that explains it then!

Andrew Reid

This looks great as a gimbal / travel camera. Load it into a backpack with a couple of zooms and you're good to go.

In typical Canon Cinema EOS style is about £2k more than you'd like to spend, but then you reach for it every time over something cheaper or more convoluted (e.g. a Z-cam rig).

I'll likely get one to replace my C200 for straight-forward video jobs. It'll also probably cut in fine as a b-cam on higher end jobs.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No EVF by the look of it. I wonder if they'll go with the weird XC10 style clip-on loupe? It actually works OK and isn't actually any different to the FS7 approach to an EVF. Alternatively will there be a custom EVF that mounts to the hot shoe? Or will Zacuto become synonymous with Canon video once again? It's clearly a professional camera, so needs some kind of EVF solution. With no IBIS and the small size, it needs it. Canon is not Blackmagic - they make tools that are reliable for run and gun.

Clearly they're segmenting the RF Cinema line so it runs alongside the EF Cinema line as a tool for a different kind of user. Too many EF Cine lenses and high end EF Cine cameras to ditch cinema EF in the near future.

Perhaps their long term roadmap is to allow the RF Cinema and stills lines meet and combine eventually. This would make sense: 8K as a headline feature in the R stills flagship, stills form factor as the headline feature in the RF cine lineup. As 8K becomes more standard for video acquisition, and competitors inevitably continue to merge stills/cine cameras (S1H etc), Canon will one day have to join them. One of these C70's with 8K and an EVF has no reason not to be a stellar stills camera too. Just a theory but it makes sense.

If I had to guess I'd say this has a fixed DSLR style grip, but it's not clear. Would be great if it was a rotating grip. Much more appealing to me if so. 

Also, is this the first stills-form-factor camera with built-in ND's? Significant if so.

Finally, I'd say that the speed booster rumour makes more sense now too. Keeps all that Canon FF EF glass relevant?

I bet this is the lower priced rumor, the $3499 camera. IMO, its Canon's response to Blackmagic and Zcam, with superior EF lens integration and DPAF. There's easily room above this with a no-limits version capturing internal raw and tiers using the R5/R6 FF sensors. The form factor is more appealing to me over the C1/2/3/500's, but still looks bulky. The only Canon I'll buy is an R5/R6 without all the fake issues. 

Chris

Canon doing all this interesting stuff yet manage to fuck it up pretty much every freaking time. Listen, Canon, I’m not going to shell out 10,000, of 15,000 for a cinema camera because you left out 10-bit in this C70 or that the R5 has a recording cripple cool down...I’m just going to shrug my shoulders and look at someone else’s products...

The R5 was primed to be near perfect - on paper it had everything people wanted for a reasonable price and then Canon went and throttled it.

So instead they offer this, “a proper video camera” with essentially the same form factor but smaller sensor, no ibis, no viewfinder, and looks like no flip screen?

So you’re paying $2,000 more for what? Built in NDs and the permission to use the camera without it locking down due to “overheating”?

I’m curious what about this C70 is better than what the R5 should have been?

34 minutes ago, Stronz said:

The R5 was primed to be near perfect - on paper it had everything people wanted for a reasonable price and then Canon went and throttled it.

So instead they offer this, “a proper video camera” with essentially the same form factor but smaller sensor, no ibis, no viewfinder, and looks like no flip screen?

So you’re paying $2,000 more for what? Built in NDs and the permission to use the camera without it locking down due to “overheating”?

They put the fan you're supposed to hold up on the port side of the R5 inside the C70. That's at least $1500 right? So then they threw in the NDs to cover the rest of the price bump for good measure.

53 minutes ago, Stronz said:

Thats basically why I decided not to wait for it or get an R5. Either they (Canon) have incompetence happening at a major level, or they're being shady at a major level. For half the price, I was able to put together a heck of a 4k BMPCC rig and shoot RAW, and its been out long enough to have great 3rd party/user base support. If I find the BM lacking or annoying, I'll sell it and pick up a used C70 or whatever in a few years (assuming its not pointlessly crippled or has some other glaring flaw that gets found in a few months)

This is pretty much the camera I said I wanted a few years back. An XC-10 style S35 Cinema EOS up to 4k120. 

But I wouldn’t get your hopes up as this lives in the world of the C200, 300 and 500. So the cripple hammer will exist. 

It will do something weird like shoot at 4k120 but only in RAW at 5000mbps, and 4k60 at 8 bit only with DPAF disabled intermittently. 

Jokes aside, if you’re buying RF glass then this becomes C300 III and even C500 II price range. Don’t get too excited, we all did by the R5 and that managed to win the Crown of Cripple Prize 2020. 

I know I said it before, but I am not buying anything before I see the GH6.

This is appealing to me, but the price point at this economy sends me weird signals!

If I can judge from previous Canon releases, 6250$ will translate to 8000€, or a bit less. Not exactly pocket money.

Of course my main job is sound, so take this with a grain of salt, but even for small productions (very low budgeted) that I do, my fully rigged Pocket or a future GH6 would be enough I guess.

I just can't see the point when there are great vido cameras such as the Pocket, GH5, X-T3/4 and even most mirrorless if you care for internet content.

I am just trying to be pragmatistic at this point in my life and not let G.A.S lead my life anymore!

4 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

, and 4k60 at 8 bit only with DPAF disabled intermittently. 

I think if that IS the camera for 6 grand plus, it will have 10 bit available in all modes and that in part was the actual cripple hammers the R5 and R6 were supposed to have (only 10 bit in log) but they stuffed up the heating issue so much no one cares about it.

The lack of wider  RF lenses for APSC says they will probably release a lens or two at the same time (EF lenses probably work just fine adapted though.)

I think, this picture must be fake.
The lower part of the body, which imitates a battery grip, is so close to the mount, there is very little place between that and the lens.
It looks like no bigger-ticker lens could be attached....
Maybe the whole rumor is fake.

Oof, hate to admit it but this is close to the camera I've been wanting for 4-5 years. A small, compact cinema camera with all the bells and whistles (ND, xlr, etc). I think Panasonic would have been smart to do this with the S1H - make it a bit bigger, add NDs, mini XLRs, and charge an extra $500-1000. That would have quieted some of the AF chatter too.

Canon is frustrating, especially right now, but this does look pretty amazing. 

11 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Oof, hate to admit it but this is close to the camera I've been wanting for 4-5 years. A small, compact cinema camera with all the bells and whistles (ND, xlr, etc). I think Panasonic would have been smart to do this with the S1H - make it a bit bigger, add NDs, mini XLRs, and charge an extra $500-1000. That would have quieted some of the AF chatter too.

Canon is frustrating, especially right now, but this does look pretty amazing. 

Isn't it a couple of years late though?

Now most mirrorless offer similar, or better, specs (IBIS), have XLR audio (Sony, Panasonic, BM), even RAW (internal for BM, external for others) and the only thing they lack is internal ND.

We are at the back end of 2020, not 2017.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:46 AM, Trek of Joy said:

I bet this is the lower priced rumor, the $3499 camera. IMO, its Canon's response to Blackmagic and Zcam, with superior EF lens integration and DPAF. There's easily room above this with a no-limits version capturing internal raw and tiers using the R5/R6 FF sensors. The form factor is more appealing to me over the C1/2/3/500's, but still looks bulky. The only Canon I'll buy is an R5/R6 without all the fake issues. 

Chris

For me it is the Komodo response. Canon never bothered with Blackmagic or Zcam. And with lower priced cameras.