Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating timers, workarounds, and Magic Lantern

Andrew Reid

• 5 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

To see if there is a cheaper solution than the CFexpress card type B for the Canon EOS R5, I bought the CFexpress To SSD Converter from Zitay.
And a separate 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD drive.

In total, it is still much cheaper then, for example, a Sony Tough 512 GB CFexpress card (For me 6.2 times in terms of storage capacity).

Now I can shoot 8K RAW footage up to the time limit of 29:59 minutes without getting an overheating warning!

_GDL0770_zitay.jpg

1 hour ago, HansD said:

Per vedere se esiste una soluzione più economica rispetto alla scheda CFexpress di tipo B per Canon EOS R5, ho acquistato il convertitore CFexpress su SSD da Zitay.
E un'unità SSD Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 separata da 2 TB.

In totale, è ancora molto più economica, ad esempio, di una scheda CFexpress Sony Tough 512 GB (per me 6,2 volte in termini di capacità di archiviazione).

Ora posso riprendere filmati RAW 8K fino al limite di 29:59 minuti senza ricevere un avviso di surriscaldamento!

_GDL0770_zitay.jpg

Can you show me how you close the card slot with this adapter? Can you post a picture? thank you.

4 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Not sure it is really worth, risking stuff entering the camera, breaking the door, breaking the cable etc.. 

A delikin 2 TB CFexpress that sometime is on sale for 800$ is a better investment.

I have not found the Delikin brand. You probably mean Delkin?
Never heard of it, can't buy it here either.
The build quality of the Zitay converter is excellent and I would be surprised if this flat cable breaks or comes loose.
But yes, not everyone is careful with their camera gear.
Any CFexpress you use with 8K RAW in the Canon EOS R5 will lead to overheating (with firmware 1.3.1 22 minutes!)
And what will the long-term consequences of this be?

36 minutes ago, HansD said:

I have not found the Delikin brand. You probably mean Delkin?
Never heard of it, can't buy it here either.
The build quality of the Zitay converter is excellent and I would be surprised if this flat cable breaks or comes loose.
But yes, not everyone is careful with their camera gear.
Any CFexpress you use with 8K RAW in the Canon EOS R5 will lead to overheating (with firmware 1.3.1 22 minutes!)
And what will the long-term consequences of this be?

I have this Delkin Devices 2TB CFexpress POWER Memory Card DCFX1-2TB B&H (bhphotovideo.com)

I may be wrong but I believe the door open has more to do with not overheating that the external storage. The thermal control is there to prevent damage is like a rev limiter in a car it will not have any consequences. In my 8 months R5 only shooting 8k raw and 4k 120 (the only two modes that I use) it never overheated once. I do many short takes up to 5min.... 

53 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

I may be wrong but I believe the door open has more to do with not overheating that the external storage. The thermal control is there to prevent damage is like a rev limiter in a car it will not have any consequences.

This assumption is also incorrect.
Users with a closed battery cover get the same results as me.

zitay_closed_lid.jpg

5 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Looks like something ready to break, big chance to lose data....not even sure how stable is when the battery runs low and so on. 

Imo is the wrong saving (if any)  but if it works for you.

Have a nice day.

6 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Nice, but wish there was a way to not have to cut into the door and lose warranty, weather sealing and resale value.

That is why I didn't cut into the door so I can always use CFexpress cards if needed and the camera keeps its resale value.

23 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

So how does that work? Doesn't the door have an 'open' detector/switch? You have to block it?

The Zitay converter is supplied with rubber (red) stops. They say 5, I got eleven of them!
See (iPhone) picture below.

IMG_1293_fb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 5/25/2021 at 2:51 PM, HansD said:

To see if there is a cheaper solution than the CFexpress card type B for the Canon EOS R5, I bought the CFexpress To SSD Converter from Zitay.
And a separate 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD drive.

In total, it is still much cheaper then, for example, a Sony Tough 512 GB CFexpress card (For me 6.2 times in terms of storage capacity).

Now I can shoot 8K RAW footage up to the time limit of 29:59 minutes without getting an overheating warning!

_GDL0770_zitay.jpg

This is so strange.

It can record 8K to much slower cooler SD cards and still overheat just as quick, so the media isn't the primary cause of the overheating is it?

Or maybe it was after all?

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

È così strano.

Può registrare 8K su schede SD molto più lente e più fredde e surriscaldarsi ugualmente velocemente, quindi il supporto non è la causa principale del surriscaldamento, vero?

O forse lo era dopotutto?

Bought and tested with my r5 with latest firmware ... heats the same. I don't understand the user above how he made unlimited raw recordings! This is wrong information. I send it back immediately ... I already have 2 cf express 512 the chamber heats up as with the cf express. If you buy it to avoid overheating forget it, it heats the same.

Are there any overheating tests yet with the  new Atomos Ninja V+?

Also curious if the R5 and V+ will get 120FPS 4K ProRes RAW at some point.

Would make this camera a very compelling purchase if it extends the record time and provides another codec for high speed.

5 hours ago, danieleciraolo said:

Bought and tested with my r5 with latest firmware ... heats the same. I don't understand the user above how he made unlimited raw recordings! This is wrong information. I send it back immediately ... I already have 2 cf express 512 the chamber heats up as with the cf express. If you buy it to avoid overheating forget it, it heats the same.

It is such a false info…. media is a contributor to the heat and having the door open will have some minimal cooling effect but is not the main issue and solution seems really fragile.