Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating timers, workarounds, and Magic Lantern

Andrew Reid

@Andrew Reid could you do a side by side video with the r5 and you s1h? I didnt found any comparison videos between these 2. I wonder how much difference of DR there is in real life and how bad the AF is on the S1h in comparison and stabilization. But also how smooth do the files edit? Does the s1h have an edit codec advantage? Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

There's also another one I find it rather interesting straight there:

Technology over technique produces emotionless design ~ Daniel Mall

And still speaking of high rankings : D here's more valuable information on topic:

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/

With different results compared the 970 Evo Plus vs Rocket 4:

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Evo-Plus-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Sabrent-Rocket-4-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB/m693540vsm844208

Any thoughts from real (f)actual users? : )

It seems the fastest option:

https://www.pcgamer.com/sabrent-rocket-pcie4-nvme-ssd-review-benchmarks/

There's a new kid on the block... just launched to follow Samsung's 980 Pro announcement and actually is the fastest drive of its class to come and be available very soon (price TBA):

http://reviewcentralme.com/2020/09/01/sabrent-unleashes-rocket-4-plus-the-worlds-fastest-pcie-4-0-nvme-ssd/

I guess heatsink is somehow removable so can be adapted to the Zitay adapter, even though overheating handling is everything a Canon user can ask for these days...

Yes, that faster performance won't affect the current needs except for two reasons IMHO I'd sincerely love to see some other experts to comment without secondary interpretations : D 

Extra use other than R5 (once again, my needs are not yours and vice versa) as future proof as well but I wonder if it won't benefit in terms of overheating...?

Well, thanks for your heads-up rolling in private messages. Once public, here I am. No offense taken up there. No pun intended to people we cannot have a single idea who they are (I guess this works both ways or even multilayered when we have many users around, distinct experiences, core business and so on) because as said, the world is yet too big despite this damned pandemic and we ain't all Hollywood characters : D

Yup, I found it strange that (external) quote and such level of certainty from people I've never heard about and from my lack of background on that I let it hear from people with more knowledge than myself. As simple as that.

Not necessarily to endorse anything I can't stand for the same reasons I see any activity or craft on earth as a cooperative process in the same field. Not else. Misunderstandings happen (non-native language speakers, etc) but they stop to occur in all the goodwill when we see some general words strictly in a literal sense if we refuse to admit them or that we can collaborate for information and healthy fun, any other?

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

There's a new kid on the block... just launched to follow Samsung's 980 Pro announcement and actually is the fastest drive of its class to come and be available very soon (price TBA):

http://reviewcentralme.com/2020/09/01/sabrent-unleashes-rocket-4-plus-the-worlds-fastest-pcie-4-0-nvme-ssd/

I guess heatsink is somehow removable so can be adapted to the Zitay adapter, even though overheating handling is everything a Canon user can ask for these days...

I think it is, yes, they already sell that Aluminum Heat Sink without the SSD as accessory: 

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2280-Rocket-Heatsink-SB-HTSK/dp/B07TN2RX2K

image.thumb.png.f0dcf78cf42a4b5c725665aa40846712.png

image.thumb.png.b1c15ac3480ae44347f689e21ef44ef5.png

On 9/14/2020 at 6:34 AM, Emanuel said:

Yes, that faster performance won't affect the current needs except for two reasons IMHO I'd sincerely love to see some other experts to comment without secondary interpretations : D 

Extra use other than R5 (once again, my needs are not yours and vice versa) as future proof as well but I wonder if it won't benefit in terms of overheating...?

Yeah, I understand all that but I wonder about the same.

3 hours ago, Jn- said:

Maybe already mentioned, if not, note that you have to also purchase the Zitay CFExpress card reader, as other card readers won’t work with this adapted CFExpress module.

I don't understand. Do we need a CFExpress card reader? For what if it is recorded in the SSD?

32 minutes ago, Jn- said:

I am assuming that users would prefer to just plug the CFExpress end of the data lead directly into a reader than remove the ssd from the enclosure.

I still don't understand. You mean to use their reader in the place of their SSD enclosure? Isn't the SSD a much cheaper solution?

Dear Andrew,

I just received my Canon R5 today with the firmware at 1.0...  I have been an avid user of Magic Lantern since 2012.  Question:  At this time, would you upload 1.1.1 firmware or reave it at 1.0 for the time being?  I love your site and the knowledge I gain...  Sincerely,   Joe Ray Skrha

• 2 months later...

Lots of threads about the R5 now, and all of them seem to talk about overheating at some point, but anyhow, I saw the diy perks video the other day, and then I saw another diy-solution where a guy retrofits the cooling from a USB cooler to the back of the camera, which managed to double the time before overheating in 8K.

So it got me thinking, what's the easiest, cheapest and non-intrusive possible solution? And I realized, there's a huge amount of cooling solutions for phones/pad since they tend to run hot with games etc.

So how about sticking this (or similar) on the back of your R5 when the heat is building up, to quickly cool it down, and then use the time/date hack to reset the timer when needed?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001533895883.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6e642fe0PPDLeL&algo_pvid=1dd6ee63-9f91-4919-bbfc-f6959be7950f&algo_expid=1dd6ee63-9f91-4919-bbfc-f6959be7950f-0&btsid=0b0a182b16065799936878702ecfbb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Complete with internal chargeable battery, and suction cups for mounting, for 10$.

I don't own an R5, yet. Still on the edge, but if anyone has tried something like this, or is willing to try it, that would be just super!

From here:

"After using a thermal camera and noticing a hotspot appearing on the back of his camera during video recording, Matt opened up the R5 and examined the rear internals. He found that the camera’s main processor is the culprit that generates a great deal of heat during recording and that the thermal pads covering the processor don’t seem to be positioned very well.

(...) Matt also believes that Canon could have designed the camera to dump the heat toward the bottom of the camera and then sold a separate base attachment for videographers that provides vastly extended recording times."

What a shame... : (